Editing BlackVue files in video editing software

Wailer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I've imported a clip from my Blackvue DR900S into my video editing software (Power Director 16) for editing. While it imported fine, I can not see the video when it plays back in the editor. I cannot hear the audio, and cannot see the video portion of the MP4 file, even though the editor appears to be "playing" the file. I suspect maybe a CODEC issue, but I really don't know if it is something else entirely. As I understand it, the BlackVue uses the 265 CODEC. The editing software is capable of editing both 264 and 265 CODECs, even when the different CODECs are imported together. It is only when you produce your final video that you have to pick one CODEC over the other. I have edited MP4's from various other sources without issue, but cannot figure out what I need to do to the Blackvue file. Something is distinctly different about the BlackVue MP4 files. Unfortunately, the clip is central to a project I'm working on. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited:
If you are using a Windows you may need to install the Codec's from the Windows Store, called 'HEVC Video Extension' here is a video about it.

Thanks Estoril Sport. I had already downloaded K-lite 264 & 265 CODECs, but downloaded the recommended ones from MS. Still no go within the editing program. Plays fine as a stand-alone file, but cannot open it in Power Director 16. First file I've had a problem with. I downloaded DaVinci Resolve, and the file opens fine, but I'm sorta lost in that program. The manual is over 3500 pages! May have to try some simpler editing programs until I can find one that it will run it. Not really sure what the problem is. :\ Thanks for trying to help though!

I have stared to use DaVinci Resolve, yes its a quite complex application. However previously I have very good success with Filmora, its easy to use and supports 4K. https://filmora.wondershare.net/

The annoying bit was joining the various 1 minute video files together to make a continuous flowing video. I often had to cut out duplicate elements from the beginning and end of each clip. (This is can be done easy with Filmora).

Good idea bpsmicro! I may give that a shot if some of my other options don't work out. Estoril Sport, I looked at Filmora, but was not interested in ANY video editing software that requires a subscription. I also don't really want to spend another $50-100 on another video editing program just to overcome this issue. Their "free" program imbeds a watermark. :\ I may look at other free programs, or go to the Power Director forums for answers. I will also contact the Dashcam Store where I bought the BlackVue dashcam. Their technical support has been extremely helpful in the past. Thanks ALL for taking the time to respond with ideas!

I use VIDEOPAD and have never had an issue working with the files. You can try it free for 30 days, after than it's inexpensive to purchase. I've been using it for years. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose. Oh yeah, it's EASY to use too!

I use VIDEOPAD and have never had an issue working with the files. You can try it free for 30 days, after than it's inexpensive to purchase. I've been using it for years. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose. Oh yeah, it's EASY to use app too!
Videopad is so expensive however 30 days free trail is good.

Videopad is so expensive however 30 days free trail is good.

If one will spend close to $500.00 on a dashcam system, I fail to understand how $50.00 can be considered expensive for good video editing software. Have you compared it to the outrageous prices of some other packages?

Back