Editing speed record out of a video?

great dane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need your help, please.
I had a collision with some road work signs and caught the whole scenario on the DR500, incl. date time and speed. Unfortunately I was going a bit too fast at the time.
The insurance company wants to see the video before paying for the damage, so the recorded speed may be a problem.
Is there any way of editing the speed recording out of the video before submitting it to the insurance company?
Grateful to hear if there is a solution to this problem.

I think this will be a offense against the law...anyways, if you understand the risk, you can crop the video from the side, where the speed stamp is placed. so no speed stamp will be shown.

if you knew you were being stupid why you tell the insurance company you got a recording?
you could just stick it in sony vegas editor or some other editing program and stick a black strip top and bottom and reencode it saying if they ask that its the way the recorder records.

great dane said:
... a bit too fast ...
In Germany, a "bit to fast" is no problem. The insurance company will pay since this is not a "gross negligence". Check if it is the same in the UK. I suggest, not to manipulate the video.

hey, upload this video online let us see what you did and the camera in action for a real event.

I did not select the option to show speed on my dr500 :cool:

I think zooming in on the footage in an editing program might work.

So you broke the law once by speeding and admitting to careless driving and now you want to commit fraud by altering your video.

Once is stupid twice is criminal Hope the company reads these forums.

Suck it up and pay for it yourself.

It will be obvious the video has been altered and so make your chances of them paying even less

Yeah this is a bit sketchy of a post, but I'll give an answer anyway.

I agree above, you can either zoom, or use a blur/black bar if you have Cyberlink Power Director (for Windows) or iMovie/Final Cut Pro (for Apple/Mac)

Zooming/Shifting would probably look more legit since you don't see anything censored.

Don't blur. Crop from bottom+left+right to keep the original aspect ratio and resize to original resolution.
Don't give the video cropped or with some blurred area never.

For DR 500 the cropped values are:
bottom = 52
left = 46
right =46

I am using VirtualDubMod and avisynth and my script was:
DirectShowSource("F:\Download\DR500.mkv")
Crop(46, 0, -46, -52)
Lanczosresize(1920,1080)

Using bad video software and bad video codecs will result in bad quality video.
And don't forget to use the same container as original video. You can reencode the video stream in any format but use H264 as video encoder.

With any reencoded video can be a problem because the encoder or container creating software will write some signatures in the videos and these can be revealed by some tools like Mediainfo.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• DR 500 No Crop.jpg
    DR 500 No Crop.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 219
  • DR 500 Crop.jpg
    DR 500 Crop.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 218
Hm, I dont know your video, but if the insurance company is clever (and if the damage exceeds a certain limit of bucks they are ;) ) they can check out the speed in a very old fashioned way:
measure the distance, measure the time and you will get the speed with a simple knowledge of mathematics and physics: v = s / t ...
:cool: .

So you need not only to change the image, but the video playback time also. I wonder what they will say if you see you driving in slow motion across a highway... :D

So I agree with some posters above: dont make any changes, it is annoying but pay by yourself for the damage. And drive more carefully in future. ;)

Regards

Depending on scene, that speed calculation can't be realistic. And you can't accuse somebody on some empiric calculation, is needed a official approved device which measure the speed.

enjoy,
Mtz

Well, you are right, but insurance companies can have a lot of ideas to avoid any payment.
And if they only have the suspicion that something is not as it should be I am rather sure they will refuse a payment.

An example:
a very good friend lost his mother in an accident. The mother was driving with drugs (no crack or something like this, she wasnt a junkie, it was real medicine). And we are all convinced she was not knowing what she was doing, she droves the way to office on a Sunday. The house door remains open, all seems like her mind was completly desolated.
The car insurance paid for the other driver damage, it was an accident.
The life insurance -which was the same company - denied paying, they stated the accident as a suicide!
Everyone who has known this women knows that she never would intend a suicide!

Regards

Lets open out the situation a bit more...

Where were you (What type of road)?
What was the speed limit and what were you actually doing?

You mentioned you had an accident with some road signs so did you hit them (them being a stationary object) or did they drop off a truck or something similar?

I would say it's not worth taking the risk and editing the video. You don't want to commit fraud and be charged accordingly and risk chances of being insured in the future. If the accident was your thought, take it on the chin and put it down to one of those life experiences. I know its not cheap to pay out your own pocket but I would rather that then end up in court.

Keep in mind that even if you edit out the video, a clever agent might demand the .GPS file also. It has your speed, latitude, longitude, elevation, etc.

My recommendation is to just offer the video unedited. Simpler, safer. Eat your broccoli.

If you edit the video and the Judge gets even a whiff of it, i would expect to be charged with Obstruction of Justice, Evidence Tampering and purjury. These dash cams are a two edged sword.

brianman said:
Keep in mind that even if you edit out the video, a clever agent might demand the .GPS file also. It has your speed, latitude, longitude, elevation, etc.

My recommendation is to just offer the video unedited. Simpler, safer. Eat your broccoli.

Life's lesson

You will pay for it one way or another
Best just suck it up
And be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R DR500GW-HD 0
Dscheng DR500GW-HD 11
T DR500GW-HD 10
Back