Editing Video??

WiredPig

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0806
I find I am unable to edit the video created by the camera with anything other than the supplied program. Is there a way to convert the video fragments so I can edit them in Adobe? Adobe's Premier and Media Encoder will not open the files. Media Encoder says they are corrupted. Handbreak, likewise, will not open the files for conversion as well.

Any suggestions? I am able to play the fragments under Windows 10 Pro using Media Player as well as VLC.

Hi wired pig and welcome.
There will be many ways to get the job done and it might be as simple as getting the correct codecs from a lot of different sources. Many video companies use different codecs as a means to make folks buy there propriety programs.
Some of this might go over your head but it is good info.

I have gone with Cyberlink Power Director. Easier to learn than adobe and has a huge net work forum as well, though I do use Adobe Photo shop for pictures.

Cyberlink Power Director, Also has a separate add on program called "Cyberlink Screen Record" This is a you beaut program that can record any video, U tube, whatever, and do it in the Cyberlink format. You can insert it direct into the "Cyberlink Power Director" editor and do any thing you like. Not sure if it available separately or has to be bought with the editing package only.

Yeah , you may need a video converter ...
Something to just change to format from what ever it is .. To what you want or your software supports ..

I am a professional wedding videographer and believe in using the right sized tool for the job. I don't spend large sums of money on a software tool where I will only use a fraction of the features. For what you are looking for, I would recommend a tool I have been using for years: http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tvmw6.html. Well worth the monetary investment imho.

Yes I agree, it's wise to save your pennies. I have used various video programs that are free. I have used Adobe premier. Camtasia,Video lan, etc in the course of my editing video. But really the program I mentioned is the princly sum of $100.oo Aud, around $75 Us. It is a very good starting point and it resolves a and produces a 20 minute video in a few minutes. It comes with a sound edit within as well.
Just to put it into perspective a man gets 4 dash cams and then find the codex don't work an a couple. He then looks for a solution. Being a new chum he downloads the next freeby, and inadvertently, gets 6 add ons that takes him hours to find out how to get the crap out of his computer. We call it horses for course here.......:)

I hear what you say and agree that there are many solutions to the video editing and conversion issue as this is still indeed a crowded market. I am sure there are also many public domain software that could solve some or all of the issues/problems. For example, my video cameras break .m2ts files into 4G segments because the SD cards need to be formatted at exFat. I needed a way to stitch them back together so you don't see the breaks between the files (at 1080p60 that's about 22 minutes per file). I use tsMuxer/tsMuxerGUI for that. Works great.

I use Pegasys Master Works 6 all the time and it has edited and converted every video file I have thrown at it. About the only thing I don't use it for blu-ray/DVD authoring (use a different Pegasys program for that) and editing together multiple camera/video/audio/static text feeds. I still use Serif MoviePlus X6 for that but that software is now 'orphoned'/no longer sold. I don't need premier/final cut or the associated software. I am not a filmmaker/cinematic video editor - those products are overkill for me. I have begun looking into/using Corel Video Studio Ultimate X9.5 as a potential substitute.

Bottom line is many things will work/convert/merge/edit video files - both free and commercial. Both of our solutions are viable recommendations. It may involve studying/looking at/trying solutions and interfaces to see what immediately works and what extra that solution can provide.

Maybe you just need to try another video editor? I often create videos for my YouTube channel. For sure, I am not an ‘editing guru’, but my movie creator http://movie-creator.com/ allows me simply press several buttons and it does all the work. You can render videos as AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV and it has a free trial version.

I am using Shotout. It is open source/free, and very capable with many pro features and filters. GUI is not like Cyberlink or other typical consumer grade stuff. Handbrake is another free converter has amazing speed and compression capability.

Back