Eeyelog E720 review

mister_rf

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
YI /GT300W / C1 / DIMIKA / E720 / MOBIUS / DVR207 / 808 # 18
I ended up buying one just for curiosity of the actual implementation of Super HD, so I’ll try to do a short review. :)

E720 is made by Shenzhen Eeyelog Technology Co. Ltd
Year 2014
Software version (review time) E720-V0222G
Prices range from $95USD to $100USD for basic package

E720.jpg

Main characteristics

Configuration:
Ambarella A7LA50 cpu + Aptina AR0330 sensor

Video resolution:
SUPER HD:2304x1296 P30
Full HD: 1920x1080 P45
Full HD: 1920x1080 P40
Full HD:1920×1080 P30
HD:1280x720 P60/P30

3.0 inch TFT LCD display
Exposure Compensation Auto/-2.0 to +2.0
Motion Detect 5s / 10s / 30s / 60s / Off
Time stamp display
Car number stamp display: up to 9 alphanumeric characters
Optional GPS positioning
G-sensor High/medium/low/Off
Contrast adjustment Normal / Hard/ Soft
Sharpness Standard / Hard / Soft
White balance: Auto/Incandescent/D4000/D5000/Sunny/Cloudy
Light frequency: 50Hz/ 60Hz
TV out : PAL / NTSC
GPS on/off
LED on / off
Screen saver: 3 min/ 5 min/ Off
Auto power off: 3 min / 5min/ 10 min / Off
Language: English/Chinese/Japanese/Russian/Korean/Chinese Traditional/
Support Micro SD (Max 32GB)
Cycle-record time 2min/5min/10min/off
3.0 Mega pixels CMOS sensor
Photo shooting mode

In theory
Built in 450mAh LiPo battery, approx. 1/2h recording
Battery recharging time is about 1h.
Fix Focus Lens 170° (diagonal)

In practice
Continuous recording duration on battery (display on): approx. 17-20 min
Size: 99x57x30.6mm
Recharging battery time: 1h
Angle of view measured horizontally (from the left to right edge of the frame) = 155°
Weight: 123g

dimensions.jpg

Last edited:
Basic package:
- camera
- USB-A male to mini USB cable (0.9m)

- DC step-down 12V – 24V to 5V/1A converter built in car light adapter + mini USB connector
- instruction manual (that’s one piece of A4 paper, all necessary details included )
- two adhesive mounts

Copy of the user manual attached.

Unboxing video

Attachments

• E720 user manual.pdf
    704.6 KB · Views: 9
I didn’t have to much time to test this camera. I don’t have a stand alone GPS antenna available for the moment in order to test it. (And I’m not a big fan of this feature) ;)
So far so good, but I’m not so impressed by this A7 implementation.

I like the big 3” screen and the wide angle lens.( 155° from the left to right edge of the frame)

IMHO that’s a very noise picture we get for this hardware combination in use.
And that’s not a very good design by mounting the LiPo battery on the top of the hot CPU. I do expect a very short life for the LiPo battery.

Some minor problems:
When I connect the camera to the computer I do have access to an additional drive, that’s the internal 210MB memory. I can do read/write operations on that new drive, but later on I can’t use it as an emergency storage. There’s no access in the Playback Menu to the “Event” and “Copy to flash” features in this version of firmware.

E720_temp.jpg

Can it be powered via miniUSB connector on the cam itself, not in the mount, or is the cam's miniUSB socket for connecting to a computer only?

Very nice review, thank you!

If you connect the camera to a computer via the built-in USB port (using a standard USB to micro USB cable), you have access to the internal memory and to the memory card. In this combination there's no access to the
standard dash cam functionality. Camera start charging the accu.

If you connect the camera to an external 5VDC power supply via the built-in USB port, camera start charging the accu, but there’s no automatic activation of recording. Access to the Settings Menu is permitted.

In order to have access to the automatic power on activation of recording you need to use the mount built-in USB connector.

Got it, thanks!

Here's a cropped picture I snapped out of the video.
Left side 1920p, right side 2304p

1920p vs 2304p.png

The power socket in the mount is a nice touch, which might enable the camera to be quickly detachable from the mount without disturbing the power cable.

Unfortunately, the camera design appears to make it impossible to quickly detach the camera from the mount. Am I wrong?

No, you’re right. That’s a very simple mounting system, it’s not actually designed as a quick release.

mounting.jpg

No, you’re right. That’s a very simple mounting system, it’s not actually designed as a quick release.

So, to detach the camera from the car. It's necessary to prise the mount from the windscreen, thereby ruining the strip of 3M tape.

Although I'm in the 'fit & forget' camp, some dashcam owners prefer to remove & hide the camera at the end of each trip. For them, this camera is a non-starter.

A missed opportunity for Eeyelog, who could have boosted sales by developing a mount similar to, but more reliable than that used by the Mini 0801.

Doesn't look any better compared to other half price G1W's.
Actually, some G1W/H night videos are much better.
May be the way it's recorded. :confused:

Last edited:
So, to detach the camera from the car. It's necessary to prise the mount from the windscreen, thereby ruining the strip of 3M tape.

Although I'm in the 'fit & forget' camp, some dashcam owners prefer to remove & hide the camera at the end of each trip. For them, this camera is a non-starter.

A missed opportunity for Eeyelog, who could have boosted sales by developing a mount similar to, but more reliable than that used by the Mini 0801.

I have pitched this to them. But who cares what I think ?;)

I have pitched this to them. But who cares what I think ?;)

Unfortunately Eeyelog is one of those companies where there are too many managers and they can never seem to come to an agreement on things, a shame because they have more potential than they are currently realising

I know Eeyelog sales is on this forum, I think they are more concerned about sales.

Back