Eeyelog HDW001

derf

Reaction score
I'm seeing a new dashcam, made by Eeyelog called the HDW001, that looks similar to the GS6000. They have a HDW002 model that uses the A2S60 processor, but the HDW001 uses the A5S30 CPU. Specs look good, including 1080p/30, GPS, G-shock, microSD card, 140° lens, big 2.7" screen, and a nice mounting system where the GPS is housed. Quoted price is $111 with $27 shipping to USA. The image sensor is an Aptina AR0330, which is a 3.6MP camera with 2.2uM pixel size, announced in early 2011.

http://www.aptina.com/products/image_sensors/ar0330/

The AR0330 is supposedly optimized for low light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNWycCB3Ivo

There are several videos you can find on Google for "Eeyelog HDW001" and a few show night vision capabilities. It doesn't look too bad. Does anyone have any input on this new dash cam?

Eeyelog HDW001

Features of HDW001 dash cam
A powerful new processor Ambarella A5S30,original USA chipset
- The new sensor APTINA AR0330 with high sensitivity
- New lens with 140degree wide angle lens
- Control Exposure Value (EV) setting manually by pressing buttons
- Could playback the videos by button
- 2.7" 16:9 TFT LCD display screen
-Video Image resolution:
[1920x1080, 30fps / s, 16:9], [1280x720, 60k / s, 16:9],
[1280x720, 30 f / s, 16:9] [640x480, 60 frame / s, 4:3]
-Video format. MOV, Code H.264
- Motion detection;G sensor
-Loose recording,section recording available
-Support 32GB SDHC storage card
- Foldable bracket,easy to plug in and take off,the small bracket could be folded up freely.
-Screen saver function could be set up in system menu manually,so as to save power.
-- Manually turn off microphone so as to stop audio recording by button
- Time/date stamp,car plate number stamp setting up available
--Optional Wifi real time control,wifi data transfer,wifi stream function or GPS position system

Re: Eeyelog hdw001?

Maybe jokiin will tell you more about this dashcam. Until then you can make some search on the forum.

enjoy,
Mtz

unless it has been reworked recently the mounting bracket was causing some problems losing connection, that may have been resolved already though I'm not sure

the A5 version (last I looked) was still a bit buggy, it is something that is being worked on constantly so again may have improved since last time I looked

I'd expect the A2 version to be stable, I haven't looked at the A2 version of this product but the A2 platform is quite mature so I'd reasonably expect this is sorted, I'm not certain but I'd hazard a guess that they did the A2 version as a fill in while the A5 software is being sorted, there's no reason to even have an A2 version once the A5 version is sorted

the night performance of the A5 version is quite good, I like the form factor as it's quite small, the mounting bracket was an issue but that may have been improved already, once sorted I think the A5 variant is going to be a good model, I'll know more on this in about 6 weeks time

Hi derf,

This camera was mentioned a few times in the forum but since it appears to be only on sale on Alibaba, I don't think too many people have purchased it yet. Not sure why they don't sell this on Aliexpress. Spec wise, it seems good but real world usage is unknown.

Thanks guys for the info.

It's too bad that the Aptina AR0330 uses front side illumination (FSI), only the Aptina AR0832E is HD (8MP) and uses Backside Illumination (BSI). The downside to that chip is that it only does 15fps, and the industry is pushing for at least 30fps. Realistically, if the hardware is lacking to interpolate those frames, they could just double every frame and output 1080p/30. But that would be a cheap trick, although personally I think 15fps would be fine, and could even save bandwidth meaning you could record 12+ hours on a 16GB card. However, marketing might make people think it is a worse performer.

The BSI process gets all the connecting wires out of the way of the CMOS sensor, so you get better low light performance. Apple touted it as a key feature in their new cameras recently on the iPhone 4S. I think I may have to hold out a little bit to see if anyone is smart enough to package a small dashcam with an A5 CPU and a BSI HD chip. That would give some REALLY good low-light performance. I don't care about 3MP or 5MP, I just want real 1080p resolution. It would be awesome if they actually used the Sony Exmor R sensors, but I realize they are trying to keep prices down. Seems like it is a race to the bottom, not the top. LOL.

Joklin - low light performance is in my top 5 features necessary for a good dash cam. I'm interested in hearing what you think about BSI vs FSI sensors, and how an A5 with more bandwidth than the A2 can improve low light performance.

This will be an exciting year I feel for dash-cam manufacturers because the technology that will give a good low-light improvement is starting to come down in price enough that they may start using it on new models, and we may start seeing the rewards.

derf said:
This will be an exciting year I feel for dash-cam manufacturers because the technology that will give a good low-light improvement is starting to come down in price enough that they may start using it on new models, and we may start seeing the rewards.

we use Aptina CMOS in our A2 product now, it offers better results than the alternates, does need a good lens though to get the benefit, we use a Taiwanese lens by Staroptics which is a 5 glass lens, most use a cheaper Chinese 4 glass lens, you are right that the A2 processor is a limiting factor in low light performance and the A5 does much better, a good sensor and lens with an A5 will I believe be a good solution and we should see that product mature this year

jokiin said:
derf said:

we use Aptina CMOS in our A2 product now, it offers better results than the alternates, does need a good lens though to get the benefit, we use a Taiwanese lens by Staroptics which is a 5 glass lens, most use a cheaper Chinese 4 glass lens, you are right that the A2 processor is a limiting factor in low light performance and the A5 does much better, a good sensor and lens with an A5 will I believe be a good solution and we should see that product mature this year
Which camera you're producing then?

The Eeyelog HDW001 is becoming popular in Russia now. Many consider this the upgraded version of the GS1000.

dashcamtalk.com_cams_hdw001_HDW001.jpg

It also is sold as the Kapkam QL3 in Russia.

Here is the user manual.

dashcamtalk.com_cams_hdw001_HDW001_20English_20User_20Manual.jpg

Installation Instructions.

dashcamtalk.com_cams_hdw001_HDW001_20Mounting.jpg

Here are some night videos:

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Russians are buying directly from the factory. They are sending an email to Emma Xu at the following address:

emma.xu@eeyelog.com

This contact comes from the Alibaba page

Apparently there are 3 different models. You need to email them for the latest price.

HDW001 (A5S30 + AR0330) No GPS or WiFi ($105 - $110)
HDW001 (A5S30 + AR0330) + GPS ($115 to $120)
HDW001 (A5S30 + AR0330) + WiFi ($125 to $130)

Standard shipping appears to be $20 to $25, EMS is about $40.

There is a lot more info on this camera including firmware so I will post more in the next few days.

The mount is strange for me. Even it can be a smart thing I think is too big judging from the pictures.
The $25 shipping from China is expensive, maybe jokiing will confirm this, because I expect the registered mail from China is about $6. I think the profit is from the shipping, the camera is no more important. :lol:
It is nice they offer so many options for sale but is strange because there is no option for GPS and Wi-FI. Even if she say both can not work together because of some "interferences" I think they made a mistake somewhere when designed the camera and/or PCB.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
The mount is strange for me. Even it can be a smart thing I think is too big judging from the pictures.
The $25 shipping from China is expensive, maybe jokiing will confirm this, because I expect the registered mail from China is about $6. I think the profit is from the shipping, the camera is no more important. :lol:
It is nice they offer so many options for sale but is strange because there is no option for GPS and Wi-FI. Even if she say both can not work together because of some "interferences" I think they made a mistake somewhere when designed the camera and/or PCB.

enjoy,
Mtz

not sure who they're using but the freight cost does seem a little high, freight prices are hit and miss sometimes, we often get quoted a set price and then when the statement comes we've been charged something different, maybe they're covering themselves for any surprises

Here is a picture comparing the HDW001 with a GS1000.

dashcamtalk.com_cams_hdw001_HDW001_20compare_20with_20GS1000.jpg

Some pictures of the mount.

dashcamtalk.com_cams_hdw001_HDW001_20Mount_201.jpg

dashcamtalk.com_cams_hdw001_HDW001_20Mount_202.jpg

dashcamtalk.com_cams_hdw001_HDW001_20Mount_203.jpg

dashcamtalk.com_cams_hdw001_HDW001_20Mount_204.jpg

There are some firmware files available already. I don't have much info yet so be very careful using these.

hdw001.bin and a5.bin

Also this version of Direct USB apparently works with Ambarella A5S processors.

Just wanted to post some more info on this camera.

Apparently the GPS resides in the mount and the WiFi resides in the camera unit. Due to electrical interference, they do not sell a model with both options.

Here are some pictures of the camera disassembled.

dashcamtalk.com_cams_hdw001_Eeyelog_20HDW001_20Disassembled_201.jpg

dashcamtalk.com_cams_hdw001_Eeyelog_20HDW001_20Disassembled_202.jpg

You can download the PC software player here but you need to have Quicktime installed for it to work.

Here is a picture of the player software.

dashcamtalk.com_cams_hdw001_Eeyelog_20HDW001_20PC_20Software.jpg

Firmware backup instructions:

1. Ensure the battery is fully charged.
2. Download this autoexecA5.rar file , unrar it and save the autexec.ash file on a blank memory card file autoexec.ash
3. Insert the memory card into the dash cam and press the POWER button.
4. Do not touch the DVR for 1-3 minutes.
5. DVR will switch itself off, remove the card.
6. On the card will be a new file a5.bin. This is the cached copy of your firmware. Save the file.

Backed-up firmware V20130125V5-G.rar

Brochure of a similar camera called the Eeyelog EHD60 (perhaps the same camera?):

dashcamtalk.com_cams_hdw001_Eeyelog_20HDW001_20Brochure_201.jpg

A few more videos as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like a pretty decent quality camera. I'm also looking at the Garmin and Honeywell too.

Back