EKEN Announcement for fake cameras

RuDee

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hello, several days ago, official EKEN page in facebook announced:

All EKEN cameras produced after September 01, 2015 will have firmware version numbers followed by two letters, for example, 160304XX.

If the camera’s firmware version does not contain the last two letters, then it is not a genuine EKEN product. Counterfeit cameras will likely have shorter battery life, low quality lens, poor performance, and weak chargers.

Please be aware of counterfeit products circulating the market, and genuine EKEN camera’s firmware will have two letters following the firmware version number.

You can also check the camera batteries; all genuine EKEN cameras produced after January 2016 should come with the battery shown in the photo below. Counterfeit cameras will have different batteries.

Many cameras look similar in appearance, please verify your camera’s firmware version and batteries.

Only cameras containing firmware version number followed by two letters are produced from EKEN, any other firmware versions without the two ending letters are not from our company.

If you have purchased a counterfeit camera, please notify the retailer.

To ensure your next purchase is a genuine EKEN product, please purchase directly from our Amazon store.
Thank you.
13166128_857433684368611_3168897872093090769_n.jpg

Since this announcment a lot of people cought to be with "FAKE" cameras. It seems that all cameras shipped throught gearbest and banggood are "fakes"
The point is that alot of people dont believe in that, cause the hardware in both are the same, no proper explanaition from EKEN whats inside the fake once to be tittled as fake.

Personally mine camera falls as fake, but i am happy with it and have crystal clear images, sharp lens, and no freezing.

People suggesting that EKEN just now start selling cameras via amazon only and want to attract buyers.
I am copying one post from the fan EKEN user groups:

FAKE EKEN CAMERAS DONT EXIST

The problem is that you dont know how chinese factories work, you can say that Eken is a fake camera by its own, Eken brand is just a webpage created by a reseller, because chinese factories dont use brands as we are used to, the resellers can put his own brand if they buy a lot of cameras, EKEN do kind of that because you cant see the brand EKEN anywhere on the camera or box, they only change the firmware version and sometimes ask for firmware incompatibility to the factory to confuse customers and tell them that Fake Eken cameras exist but they dont, they are the same camera with same hardware and firmware (with slight differences because of hardware or firmware factory updates). For example i can buy 1000 cameras to the factory and ask them to put the EKEN brand on it or put anything i want, then i create a webpage and create a brand, SJCAM did that in the past, they started without a brand and one reseller created the SJCAM webpage, SJCAM.com, then other factories started to copy the SJ4000 model with less quality and different firmware and hardware, so he asked the factory to put SJCAM logo on cameras. Because of the success of the camera now SJCAM brand exists and they took the rights from the first reseller and now SJCAM.COMwebpage doesnt exist anymore. You can visit SJCAM.COM and see what im telling you, now official website is SJCAMHD.com and they have quality tests and copyrights, but at this moment all the H9 cameras are the same, EKEN is just a reseller with a webpage, the only thing MAYBE you can get from them is support if you have his firmware. Ive been a chinese reseller for years.
Whats your thoughts about that, and i know gerabest and some others sellers have acounts here, so might be good to share some light.

Gearbest Customer Support:

We guarantee that the product is authentic.
As we said in the previous email.
We are working directly with manufacturers.
We made contact with the producers, confirmed that the product is authentic.
His this difference is due to different periods of production, so a little 'different.

"If the camera’s firmware version does not contain the last two letters, then it is not a genuine EKEN product"

That may not mean that it didn't come from the EKEN factory, just that it is not a direct sale from the EKEN shop.

Maybe other resellers are not supposed to use the EKEN brand name?

Wonder why the facebook page is ekenhk instead of eken, maybe ekenhk is not eken, a bit like sjcamhd.com instead sjcam.com!

Hey I noticed this was a few months ago, but I think there definitely are fake ekin h9s now, even gearbest is selling them openly;

One question asks if its original eken, the answer is yes, I contacted them and asked if it was actually an eken camera and if not how it compared, and they said no its not eken but the "functions" were the same... I don't know if that was an attempt at clever wording in order to say it does the same thing but is an inferior lense or something or if its a language barrier and they mean to say its literally the same thing. I would think if it was actually the same components they'd want to mention that and not say it has the same "functions" or specs... What do you guys think? It is cheaper than most the eken branded ones.

Hey I noticed this was a few months ago, but I think there definitely are fake ekin h9s now, even gearbest is selling them openly;

One question asks if its original eken, the answer is yes, I contacted them and asked if it was actually an eken camera and if not how it compared, and they said no its not eken but the "functions" were the same... I don't know if that was an attempt at clever wording in order to say it does the same thing but is an inferior lense or something or if its a language barrier and they mean to say its literally the same thing. I would think if it was actually the same components they'd want to mention that and not say it has the same "functions" or specs... What do you guys think? It is cheaper than most the eken branded ones.

Hi Siezed,

Yes, we are selling the H9, as the title said so. It has the same function as the EKEN H9, which is from a different manufacturer.

Regards,
Gearbest

Hi Siezed,

Yes, we are selling the H9, as the title said so. It has the same function as the EKEN H9, which is from a different manufacturer.

Regards,
Gearbest

Ok but you realize saying something has the same function isn't saying much, technically a Lamborghini and a Toyota Celica have the same function, they both are vehicles that you drive to get somewhere, but obviously the Lamborghini is of higher quality and not an equal product. I'm just curious if that h9 is inferior in any way, or perhaps even superior somehow, like better exposure compensation or lenses or something. I actually did order it so I'll be able to compare the footage it takes to other eken h9's. Thank you for the reply though, I like it when companies pay attention to their customers on forums :)

Last edited:
Ok but you realize saying something has the same function isn't saying much, technically a Lamborghini and a Toyota Celica have the same function, they both are vehicles that you drive to get somewhere, but obviously the Lamborghini is of higher quality and not an equal product. I'm just curious if that h9 is inferior in any way, or perhaps even superior somehow, like better exposure compensation or lenses or something. I actually did order it so I'll be able to compare the footage it takes to other eken h9's. Thank you for the reply though, I like it when companies pay attention to their customers on forums :)

Hi Siezed,

As I known, they are almost the same, but they are from different manufacturers. Sorry that I did not have comparison review of them yet.

Regards,
Gearbest

"

Wonder why the facebook page is ekenhk instead of eken, maybe ekenhk is not eken, a bit like sjcamhd.com instead sjcam.com!
Most of Chinese company have a Hongkong domain or company, it is better to do international business.

Most of Chinese company have a Hongkong domain or company, it is better to do international business.
Out of topic. Two weeks ago u said the A119 will arrive at Amazon.CA Canada PRIME in 2 more days. That was 2 weeks ago so now can u tell me when the A119 ETA to canada

So this will be interesting is this eken or not, it is sold as eken very clearly though.
I ordered one from bg mostly because of 120fps, not that it should be eken per say.
All be back to this in two weeks.
Image1.jpg

Even EKEN didn't expect there is another company can do cheaper than them.
I heard this manufacuter only make $1 profit for each camera, and for QC, they only test if the camera can power on or not.

I have seen factories that work like this even for no profit, QC only check 20% of the production will power on, 80% no test, failure rate is very high but still they find customers

Last edited:
Now you got me convinced, what ever happen i will not complain:oops:
But maybe this will be the christmas miracle:)

Good brands pride themselves on superb customer service and stand by the quality. If a brand is only making 1usd per unit then there is no way to provide proper customer service and develop things for users like apps and firmware updates.

We cannot verify other brand's fake products, but, Banggood has been known to sell fake SJCAM products. SJCAM is monitoring fakes now to better protect unsuspecting SJCAM consumers.

So this will be interesting is this eken or not, it is sold as eken very clearly though.
I ordered one from bg mostly because of 120fps, not that it should be eken per say.
All be back to this in two weeks.
View attachment 27593
Now it's here and as far as i can see it seems to be Eken by numbering and details, i updated official firmware too and camera is working like it should be.
Image quality is not the best but what you can expect cheap camera like this.
1080 60 fps mode is ok, others not so much.

I have seen factories that work like this even for no profit, QC only check 20% of the production will power on, 80% no test, failure rate is very high but still they find customers

Is that because China is making jobs for its people or something else?

Making zero profit really means losing money as equipment wears out.

Is that because China is making jobs for its people?

Can be the case, particularly if a government owned (or joint venture with the government) business they'll operate at zero profit just to keep people employed

In other cases though it's just businesses that will do anything to get the deal even if no money is made

I also bought a fake one .On the welcome screen it says Be Unique.If im looking at it`s firmware i just see the numbers but no letters.But i dont no why i just can recording on 4k just for a minute and then the screen goes off.Is there anybody on here who have the same issue? I have a authentic H9.

I also bought a fake one .On the welcome screen it says Be Unique.If im looking at it`s firmware i just see the numbers but no letters.But i dont no why i just can recording on 4k just for a minute and then the screen goes off.Is there anybody on here who have the same issue? I have a authentic H9.
You say screen goes off but what do you mean by that, does it stop recording also in one minute or is it just the screen that goes off?
Image is from official eken firmware.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 15
Back