EKEN Announcement for fake cameras

Ok thx a lot for solving my recording problem Sabe.So maybe i got a original Eken.My firmware is ActionCam H9R
STD_EKEKR
O4D7RK_161117
The images you send are the same but I got confused by this article below.

Original EKEN or Fake?

PHILIPP KLEMM·TUESDAY, OCTOBER 11, 2016
Text taken from EKEN’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ekenhk:
“Due to the high volume inquiries about genuine/counterfeit cameras, we are unable to respond to all inquiries about authenticity.
Please verify on your own according to these known methods.
-Any firmware model with icam name is not EKEN
-Any firmware between September 2015 - August 2016 that do not have two letters after the version dates is not from EKEN. EKEN firmware should say, for example: 160627LY. (Letters vary from LY, LJ, SY, SJ, and etc.) The numbers represent year/month/date, and letters represent screen/lens type.
-New firmware naming system, all firmware leaving EKEN factory will have EK in the firmware, and appear like image below
ActionCam *Camera model STD_EKBTR SERIAL CODE_DATE
EK stands for EKEN
BTR - First letter represent type of screen, second letter represent type of lens, and third letter represent type of power management chip. These letters will vary, depending on the type of hardware your camera has.
-Check camera batteries; all genuine EKEN cameras produced after January 2016 should come with batteries with rounded corners.

If you have purchased a counterfeit camera, please notify the reseller. We won't be able to provide verification on all cameras in question. Please use your own judgement and contact the reseller for more information.
To ensure your next purchase is a genuine EKEN product, please purchase directly from our Amazon store. If our amazon stores do not ship to your country, please message us for more details.”

My version says like this
Actioncam H9
Std_ekxtr
O4d7rk_160809
Is it fake???

Hi,
I got the cheapest cam off gearbest and it seems to be an Eken A9 knockoff.
I'm having some picture issues and wanted to reinstall the firmware but I can't find the exact same one.

Camera:
VER:ActionCam A9
_160426LT
_08:48:06

But Eken says:
If your camera firmware does not have the LY/BKA/BTA/BTR lettering, please do not update. It is likely your camera is a clone, and it will brick if you use the improper firmware.
Source

So my camera DOES contain letters, but they don't match Eken's naming.
I have asked gearbest to provide me the firmware so that I can flash it back into the camera and hopefully solve the issue. If they don't I'll try the Eken's one.

If anyone was wondering, the quality of the camera is crap and videos could make your eyes bleed. But what do you expect from a camera under 20? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh and if someone could let me know how to backup the actual firmware, that'd be great!

Good brands pride themselves on superb customer service and stand by the quality. If a brand is only making 1usd per unit then there is no way to provide proper customer service and develop things for users like apps and firmware updates.

We cannot verify other brand's fake products, but, Banggood has been known to sell fake SJCAM products. SJCAM is monitoring fakes now to better protect unsuspecting SJCAM consumers.
Pay cheap! Get cheap!

Elproducente did an installment on the original Yi cam- three persons sent him photos of three different Z serial number cams with the faceplates off -each had a different appearance of the PCB and placement of subunits! Fake or different contractors??

Last edited by a moderator:
Old -- I realise, but in case you never resolved,

your problem is, your cam is A9

the info that's quoted is mostly referring to the Eken H9 / H8 range

(Ekens post about If your camera firmware does not have the LY/BKA/BTA/BTR lettering, please do not update. It is likely your camera is a clone, and it will brick if you use the improper firmware.)

Hi,
I got the cheapest cam off gearbest and it seems to be an Eken A9 knockoff.
I'm having some picture issues and wanted to reinstall the firmware but I can't find the exact same one.

Camera:
VER:ActionCam A9
_160426LT
_08:48:06

But Eken says:
Source

So my camera DOES contain letters, but they don't match Eken's naming.
I have asked gearbest to provide me the firmware so that I can flash it back into the camera and hopefully solve the issue. If they don't I'll try the Eken's one.

If anyone was wondering, the quality of the camera is crap and videos could make your eyes bleed. But what do you expect from a camera under 20? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh and if someone could let me know how to backup the actual firmware, that'd be great!

I also got the clone EVEN H6s camera from banggood. And the customer service is worst.

I also got the clone EVEN H6s camera from banggood. And the customer service is worst.

Welcome to DCT :) Buying anything from the Chinese mega-stores is a gamble. Fakes and knock-offs abound, and as you've found customer service isn't worth bothering with. Most of their product pages simply repeat the specs that they were given by their source and they cannot possibly have product knowledge of all the wide variety of all things they sell. I still buy from them but I never have any expectations of what I'll be getting and I never buy anything expensive from them unless I have seen other people getting the right stuff from a listing first.

You don't get what you don't pay for, and that is why we advise people to buy only from recommended local sellers when possible.

Phil

Back