Electric vehicle + Dash Cam

xRYD3Rx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just purchased a 2017 Bmw i3 Rex.
I would like to purchase a dash camera however I am not sure if there will be an effect on draining the battery and effecting the driving range.
Also, which cameras would you guys recommend?
Looking for a 2ch camera, was thinking about getting the blackvue DR590.

Last edited:
:D

You will not notice any range drop! The camera might drain 5-10w. If you have a camera on whole driving, you will loose max 0.01kwh per hour. So you lose maybe 70-75m of range, per hour.

Edit:
Just found that the Blackvue Dr590 doesn't drain that much even.. So cut that in half!

"The DR590-2CH consumes 290mA on average (3.60W at 12V). If an external GPS receiver is connected, the consumption increases to 310mA (3.84W at 12V)."

:D

You will not notice any range drop! The camera might drain 5-10w. If you have a camera on whole driving, you will loose max 0.01kwh per hour. So you lose maybe 70-75m of range, per hour.

Edit:
Just found that the Blackvue Dr590 doesn't drain that much even.. So cut that in half!

"The DR590-2CH consumes 290mA on average (3.60W at 12V). If an external GPS receiver is connected, the consumption increases to 310mA (3.84W at 12V)."

I purchased a Blackvue DR750S-2CH 64gb.
Trying to figure out if it will be a good idea to get it connected with a magic pro for parking mode.
What you think?

I have a DR750S-2CH with a 128GB card and do not have the magic pro. It's illegal here in Sweden to have the camera running when you are not in the car yourself. (It's seen as non authorized surveillance and need a permit.. that you will not get for a car...)
Another thing would be that the camera would fill up with parking videos... If I had an incident I want to save, but is parked over the day in the city, it will overwrite that incident before I get home and is able to copy the file.
Maybe you are not going to use the camera as I do, so for you it might not be a big deal if it overwrites the video during the day. :)
I do grab a lot of incidents and strange drivers for my youtube channel...

I have a DR750S-2CH with a 128GB card and do not have the magic pro. It's illegal here in Sweden to have the camera running when you are not in the car yourself. (It's seen as non authorized surveillance and need a permit.. that you will not get for a car...)
Another thing would be that the camera would fill up with parking videos... If I had an incident I want to save, but is parked over the day in the city, it will overwrite that incident before I get home and is able to copy the file.
Maybe you are not going to use the camera as I do, so for you it might not be a big deal if it overwrites the video during the day. :)
I do grab a lot of incidents and strange drivers for my youtube channel...

Whats your youtube channel?

@VolvoDashcam I remember you got one G1W from my ebay store,is it still works ? :)

Oh.. I did? [emoji14]
I only bought 1 from you?

Since I got 3 more of them short after... One broke... I can't really say for sure if the one from you still works. ;)

I use one I got now as a side-cam, one as a rear cam in my other car and the third one as a spare I can take with me when using rental cars or such. :)

I use one I got now as a side-cam, one as a rear cam in my other car and the third one as a spare I can take with me when using rental cars or such. :)
Lol,you got your car in fully guard !

Back