Electric Vehicle installation, new camera, and new features.

NewbieDan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I've had my street guardian SG9663DC for years and love it.
I've just bought a new BMW i4 (Electric Vehicle)
I'm taking my SG out of my current car and installing it in my new one.

3 questions,
1. I can't reuse my rear external waterproof camera, (damaged). I needed it because the car was a convertible. Now with a sedan I can use an inside camera mounted on the rear glass. Which model camera do I order?
2. Are there any "gotchyas" to installing in an electric vehicle that my installer should be aware of?
3. Many new dashcams come with a voice activation feature. Is that on the Horizon? Are we expecting a new model anytime soon, that I should wait a little bit instead of installing my current unit?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Dan

Are there any "gotchyas" to installing in an electric vehicle that my installer should be aware of?
BEVs still have 12V systems in place. The only hurdles come in the form of 1) access and 2) sometimes oddball behavior regarding switched accessory power. It depends on the manufacturer and model, but access isn’t always as straightforward as typical, easy-to-reach fuse boxes in the cabin. You might have to tap something odd like, say, subwoofer power. And because BEVs don’t literally have an “ignition” system, the notions of when power is switched on or not aren’t as strictly tied to whether you’re driving and more whether the car is “activated” if that makes sense. It can be while charging, or if you have it pre-conditioning the air, or whatever else.

Your installer should have all the documentation and community resources needed to complete the install properly if they’re any good and care at all. It may require a little bit of probing and testing to find the best circuits.

Back