Elephone Explorer Pro

Roar Sæthre

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hi!
I'm new in the forum, but just got the new Explorer Pro action cam, and thought I'd write a bit oog my first experiences with it.
I read the specs on the E Pro, Git2 & Eken H8, and decided to go for the E.Pro because of the Diving mode. I will mainly use it for diving, in addition to my Olympus M43, and for making videos and timelapse for my company FB site.
The quality seems not to be as my former flooded GoPro Hero 3, but acceptable. The 4K was a bit of bonus, as I will mainly use it in FHD mode. The 4K is also upscaled, I know...
Lots of accessories included compared to the Hero 3, especially like the cage, so I don't have to use the UW housing to use a tripod.
Lots of menus, EV compensation, etc. But. a hassle to delete photos/videos, as you have to go to the right menu page(10!) using the up/down buttons to delete...
The manual is crappy, you have to find out most things by try/fail.
You can also use it in realtime as a webcam. Have not found out how the SlowMotion feature works....
Bugs I've found:
Date/Time always present in photos, even if you turn it off in the menus.
If you change the Date format, you cant put in day & month in the new format...
So, they need to upgrade the firmware ......
But, I must admit I like the camera :) Veery cheap compared to the specs.
The SD-card have a folder called NOVATEK, with Subfolders PHOTO and MOVIE.
I'll se if I can upload some more photos later, the include one was originally 4032x3024.

Attachments

• 2000_0101_121906_003.jpg
    2000_0101_121906_003.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Mtz
Hi!
I'm new in the forum, but just got the new Explorer Pro action cam, and thought I'd write a bit oog my first experiences with it.
I read the specs on the E Pro, Git2 & Eken H8, and decided to go for the E.Pro because of the Diving mode. I will mainly use it for diving, in addition to my Olympus M43, and for making videos and timelapse for my company FB site.
The quality seems not to be as my former flooded GoPro Hero 3, but acceptable. The 4K was a bit of bonus, as I will mainly use it in FHD mode. The 4K is also upscaled, I know...
Lots of accessories included compared to the Hero 3, especially like the cage, so I don't have to use the UW housing to use a tripod.
Lots of menus, EV compensation, etc. But. a hassle to delete photos/videos, as you have to go to the right menu page(10!) using the up/down buttons to delete...
The manual is crappy, you have to find out most things by try/fail.
You can also use it in realtime as a webcam. Have not found out how the SlowMotion feature works....
Bugs I've found:
Date/Time always present in photos, even if you turn it off in the menus.
If you change the Date format, you cant put in day & month in the new format...
So, they need to upgrade the firmware ......
But, I must admit I like the camera :) Veery cheap compared to the specs.
The SD-card have a folder called NOVATEK, with Subfolders PHOTO and MOVIE.
I'll se if I can upload some more photos later, the include one was originally 4032x3024.
Hi Roar Saethre. I'm testing an Elephone Explorer Pro and I'd like to offer a few observations and ask a few questions.

First, as to deleting files, you can go backwards in the menu just one page to go to Format to delete files. Once you get to the Setup Menu use the Up button on the side to go into the menu backwards. You can continue backwards to Page 6 of the menu for Delete.

Some questions. First, have you had any trouble getting your computer to detect the camera when you connect it via USB? So far I've only been able to transfer files by removing the card and using a card reader. On the camera the option to select it as a web cam never appears. I have a Windows 7 computer.

Second, I found the WiFi app in Google play but not in the Apple Store. Not sure if you have an Apple device and found the app or not.

Third, do you know what "RSC" is? I see it on the camera menu and in the manual but there's no description explaining what it is.

Finally I noticed one very peculiar behavior of the camera. After using it continuously for four hours as a dash cam the video started to jump up and down. This happened mostly when I was turning corners (left or right). My first guess was that perhaps the processor was overheating but I don't know why it would only happen when turning corners. All mounting hardware was completely snug and I did not run into the problem until the end. Have you noticed anything like this with your Elephone Explorer Pro?

Thanks and cheers. :)

Hi TTT!
I'll try getting aquainted with the menus using your advice :)
Read that the first Explorer was able to delete by pushing and holding one button, that would have been simpler, but...chinese cam.
I have no trouble finding the camera when plugging it in my HP Envy. I get a choice on the camera whether I want to us it as a Cam or Mass Storage. If I choose Cam, I can view the camera live through webcam software.(IPCamera Viewer works).
I'm using Win 10 and my Honor 7 Android phone(with the Android App). I have version 20160408 V1.0 in my cam, but I can not find the RSC in my menus, only the WDR(high contrast)?
Have not used it as a dashcam, only had a trip where I took some Timelapse, and no peculiar behaviour. I'll drive to the nearest town tomorrow, so if I remember I will try to capture some video. My old Gopro mounts are still on the dashboard.... :) Maybe it's related to the gyro or anti-shake if you have it turned on? For me it's most annoying with the Time/Date stamp on the photos....

:)

Hi TTT!
I'll try getting aquainted with the menus using your advice :)
Read that the first Explorer was able to delete by pushing and holding one button, that would have been simpler, but...chinese cam.
I have no trouble finding the camera when plugging it in my HP Envy. I get a choice on the camera whether I want to us it as a Cam or Mass Storage. If I choose Cam, I can view the camera live through webcam software.(IPCamera Viewer works).
I'm using Win 10 and my Honor 7 Android phone(with the Android App). I have version 20160408 V1.0 in my cam, but I can not find the RSC in my menus, only the WDR(high contrast)?
Have not used it as a dashcam, only had a trip where I took some Timelapse, and no peculiar behaviour. I'll drive to the nearest town tomorrow, so if I remember I will try to capture some video. My old Gopro mounts are still on the dashboard.... :) Maybe it's related to the gyro or anti-shake if you have it turned on? For me it's most annoying with the Time/Date stamp on the photos....

:)
Ah, I see we have different firmware. Mine is 20160318 V1.1 so that probably explains some of the difference.

I should get the choice of Cam or Mass Storage when attached to the computer via USB but that's the problem - I don't!

On my menu "RSC" is the third item after Resolution and Loop Recording. WDR is next after RSC.

Also does your camera have Elephone's "Voice Broadcast" feature? Mine's supposed to but seems to be shy - I never hear it say anything.

Another oddity I've found has to do with the White Balance. After I set it to any setting other than Automatic then exit the menu, it holds the new setting only in Record mode. When I advance to Photo mode or advance all the way through to Record mode again it always reverts back to Automatic. I haven't checked to see what effect any of the White balance settings actually have on videos.

Perhaps I'll try to update the firmware and see if that helps.

Thanks and cheers :)

Hmm, Voice broadcast works, says Record On, Record off etc. Tried to change the White balance(am indoors), but could not see any change either recording or not..... Not sure if it works, cause it's easy to see on my Olympus OMD EM10 when I change it...... It does not revert back to Auto, though... If I choose PC Camera when connecting the USB, it shows up as DEMO1 in Windows Devicemanager, and as portable storage/device F:\.

Elephone sells a lot of phones.....sincerly hope the firmware is better! :)

I am checking the Git2 menu, found this, maybe they use the RSC text from menu string.
View attachment 23170
Thanks gitup. On another thread it was explained to me that RSC stands for roll stability control. Sorry I don't know what "maybe they use the RSC text from menu string" means.

Sorry I don't know what "maybe they use the RSC text from menu string" means.

the menu string is a table of the different processes and functions. the operating system will call them by their process number, eg 509, 510, there is a description of the function, eg STRID_RSC_OFF, STRID_RSC_ON, and then how they are displayed in the user menu, Gyro Stabilization: Off, Gyro Stablization: On

the menu string is a table of the different processes and functions. the operating system will call them by their process number, eg 509, 510, there is a description of the function, eg STRID_RSC_OFF, STRID_RSC_ON, and then how they are displayed in the user menu, Gyro Stabilization: Off, Gyro Stablization: On
Okay, thanks jokiin.

RSC is Gyro, in my version the menu choices for this function is in the same spot.... Funny, but my version 1.0 has a dat 20160408, thats AFTER the date for V.1.1 :) I alo got an USB charger and 2 spare batteries for SJcam. They will fit, but the powerbutton may stick because of the additional 0.5-1mm bigger battery. I will try to just loosen the screws a few turns to see if that wil do the trick(the front cover will slip a bit, and I guess that makes the button stick)

New firmware for Explorer Pro: V.10, but 20160518. Found it at Gearbest. The bug with the date/time stamp is fixed, and just found out there is a "shutter" sound when shooting a photo :)

Sounds like a "real" camera. I guess there may be other things which are improved in this version! Seems I'm not able to upload.... but just pop over to Gearbest, the link us just at the end of the description...

Wait, you're right! Something's backward about the dates/versions!

I have extra batteries for my SJCam too. I'll try them and see what happens. :)

New firmware for Explorer Pro: V.10, but 20160518. Found it at Gearbest. The bug with the date/time stamp is fixed, and just found out there is a "shutter" sound when shooting a photo :)

Sounds like a "real" camera. I guess there may be other things which are improved in this version! Seems I'm not able to upload.... but just pop over to Gearbest, the link us just at the end of the description...
In response to my request I got an e-mail directly from Elephone with the then-latest firmware version on May 13th but without installation instructions. I've followed up with two e-mails asking for them but so far there's no response. I don't want to mess up the installation and end up with a brick. :( But it sounds like there's a still later version than the one they sent me. I'll try the GearBest link. Thanks. :)

Here's what happened when I set up the Elephone as a dash cam. The first video is a short trip to the post office and the gyro works pretty good. The second one is at the end of a six hour road trip and there's obviously a problem.
Post Office
Road Trip

Hmm.. How long is shipping (ELE Explorer Pro 4K Action Camera Sony IMX 117 2.0 Inch WiFi Sports DV?

Hmm.. How long is shipping (ELE Explorer Pro 4K Action Camera Sony IMX 117 2.0 Inch WiFi Sports DV?
The camera was provided to me by the editor of the website I'm writing for so I don't know. However, it came from GearBest.

Hi Guys! I also am trying out the ELE Explorer Pro. It's a nice upgrade from the original ELE.

A few things I noticed:
Excellent photo and video quality, a big jump from the prior ELE.
Gyro stabilization seems fairly weak, not as strong as GitUp2
Colors are vivid and true, very little editing that I've had to do
Camera design looks slick, I like the new faceplate
Overall, excellent camera and one that I'll be using a lot

Here is a video review I put together on it, it's long but with a lot of footage as well:

Also here are a few photos I took with it:
Alb9Oed.jpg

N1dBPqO.jpg

5E0IGC1.jpg

14283bT.jpg

Finally, a written review on my blog: https://huntingtheriverking.blogspot.com/2016/06/ele-explorer-pro-action-camera-review.html

A tips on where to get the firmware upgrades? I don't see them on the Gearbest or ELE page. I would like to remove the timestamp from the photos.

Hi Guys! I also am trying out the ELE Explorer Pro. It's a nice upgrade from the original ELE.

A few things I noticed:
Excellent photo and video quality, a big jump from the prior ELE.
Gyro stabilization seems fairly weak, not as strong as GitUp2
Colors are vivid and true, very little editing that I've had to do
Camera design looks slick, I like the new faceplate
Overall, excellent camera and one that I'll be using a lot

Here is a video review I put together on it, it's long but with a lot of footage as well:

Also here are a few photos I took with it:
Alb9Oed.jpg

N1dBPqO.jpg

5E0IGC1.jpg

14283bT.jpg

Finally, a written review on my blog: https://huntingtheriverking.blogspot.com/2016/06/ele-explorer-pro-action-camera-review.html

A tips on where to get the firmware upgrades? I don't see them on the Gearbest or ELE page. I would like to remove the timestamp from the photos.
You can contact Elephone by e-mail for the latest firmware. They responded fairly quickly to my request but didn't include the installation instructions despite two follow-up e-mails. For now I'm using what was originally installed on the camera, not the latest version.

I've also tried my SJ40000 batteries and they work fine in the Elephone. The SJCam external charging dock works with the Elephone battery as well. So far I've found the Elephone battery life to be rather poor.

Have you tried the app and WiFi? With my android smartphone it's basically useless.

Originally I couldn't get my computer to recognize the camera at all. I had to remove the memory card to transfer files rather than doing so directly from the camera. Naturally I couldn't use it as a webcam either. Nor did the Voice Broadcast feature work. When I removed the Elephone battery, tried the SJCam battery (worked fine) then reinstalled the Elephone battery these problems cleared up. I can transfer files directly from the camera, I can use it as a webcam if I remove the memory card and the Voice Broadcast feature now works!

You can contact Elephone by e-mail for the latest firmware. They responded fairly quickly to my request but didn't include the installation instructions despite two follow-up e-mails. For now I'm using what was originally installed on the camera, not the latest version.

I've also tried my SJ40000 batteries and they work fine in the Elephone. The SJCam external charging dock works with the Elephone battery as well. So far I've found the Elephone battery life to be rather poor.

Have you tried the app and WiFi? With my android smartphone it's basically useless.

Originally I couldn't get my computer to recognize the camera at all. I had to remove the memory card to transfer files rather than doing so directly from the camera. Naturally I couldn't use it as a webcam either. Nor did the Voice Broadcast feature work. When I removed the Elephone battery, tried the SJCam battery (worked fine) then reinstalled the Elephone battery these problems cleared up. I can transfer files directly from the camera, I can use it as a webcam if I remove the memory card and the Voice Broadcast feature now works!

Thanks, they just emailed me the link. I'll risk the update.

The original ELE app worked great for the first ELE camera. However, on this one, I can get it to connect, but then it crashes.

My computer recognized the camera right away, no problems.

How has your experience with the gyro been? I was expecting more stabilization...

Back