email video to PD

domechrome

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you video tape an aggressive driver who almost caused an accident, can you email it to the police to investigate? I am assuming it depends on severity and state.

Last edited:
When i turned in a guy here in Denmark i first uploaded the footage to youtube as a hidden private video and then included that in the mail to the police.

Okay nothing happened before i got media in on the case, but then the police replied to my mail in days and asked for me to bring the raw footage, so i put that on a CD rom along with my written witness statement and delivered it to the police station.

I am not sure what happened after this point, but i fear the police just revived my footage to get media and me off their back, Danish police are severe understaffed with some 3000 being rushed thru the system now and +2000 retiring soon.
And the police gotten new jobs like stand armed guard at synagogues and play customs at the German/ Denmark border.
So they can only be bothered with really serious offenses they them self say.

It's very hit and miss in the uk, a HUGE amount depends in my experience on WHO you are, always try to give to a cop if you know one much more likely to get looked into then, but resources are the key as well there simply isn't the budget in most countries.
I reported a car being driven illegally yesterday, plod were more interested in why I "thought it was illegal", mot ran out January 2012, tax ran out april 2012, not on insurance database, in uk all these can be checked by any body online for free.
Police took a report but as it is now parked in a public car park they tell me they can't do anything as need to see it being driven.

Here's the official answer...no cost. You can ask police to investigate anything....but they can decline to investigate. It depends on a multitude of factors, beginning with your state and what statute governs the situation. Generally, officers are limited in charging for misdemeanors that do not occur in their presence with a few exceptions...dwi, domestic violence, shoplifting, some vehicle violations, etc. it's different for each case state. The NOLO link that Viking gave is a very good reference. The officer will advise the citizen....you ...to take out a warrant (unless it's an infraction or felony). You have to keep in mind....if you witnessed it and IF you can identify the driver....then it's necessary for you to testify in court of the facts...otherwise the officer cannot testify as to what you saw. In cases like these, people may see the vehicle in operation but not be able to identify the driver of the vehicle....can you prove the person that owns or had legal control of the vehicle was the person operating the vehicle at the time of offense. I can prove who owns it but can I prove who was operating it at the time? Also, again it depends on where you are such as Tabetha's case, parking lots have much different rules than streets. Some traffic laws can be enforced in a parking lot....some cannot. It's frustrating either way, but think about this....if you loan you car to your mum...and we all love our mum...and she's driving your car like she stole it....like a radge and some fella sees her, gets a bit upset, videos her and sends it in to the police. How would it be for the police to slide up and arrest you...simply because you own it? It would be wrong obviously, so the burden of proof lies with the charging party...and they...the police...won't charge unless they witness it or can prove it.

A major problem in this area is unregistered cars with no current keeper details so police have a hard job, especially with our courts being too soft, currently a huge amount of police time is taken up investigating historic sex/paedophile crimes in an ideal world money wouldn't be a problem.
The uk no doubt like a lot of other countries has seen a big reduction in police numbers trying to rely on technology instead, recently the TAX "DISC" was abolished displayed in windows of vehicles not a good idea most thought between 10/14 and 03/15 revenue from road tax fell by £223,000,000, yes two hundred and twenty three million pounds over six months, despite MORE cars being registered, rather than target the non paying law breakers they put up the tax for every body else to make up shortfall, figures from financial times 7-6-16. Before you could get your "DISC"(round bit of paper) you needed to have insurance and mot, since scrapping, uninsured drivers have rocketed, if hit by uninsured driver you can claim from MIB that covers these situations but the honest guys pay for this, the MIB is 100% funded out of insurance premiums/companies, it really DOES pay to be criminal in this country sometimes!!

Back