Emergency lock on the A119S

What is your preferred emergency lock operation?

• Protect the file that is recording when you push the button

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protect a set amount of time before and after you push the button

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

klatch

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
SG9665GC v2, A119S, A118C
According to @viofo here and here, the ermergency lock on the A119, when operating in 1080p 60fps mode, will "duplicate a 35s file, 15s before and 20s after the press" and when in 1440p 30fps mode, it duplicates the entire video file, regardless of where you are in it. I don't like the idea that I could miss the incident if the camera happens to have just moved to a new file when I push the button, so I tested the operation on the A119S on 1080p 60fps and it duplicates the entire file, not a portion before and after. Same thing happens when the g-sensor is tripped.

Is there going to be an update to have the emergency lock operate in the manner that the A119 (allegedly) does at 1080p 60fps (I don't have a A119 to confirm)? Or perhaps provide an option to choose what mode we want? On that point, I'd prefer more time before the press than after. If I had to work with 20 and 15 second increments, I'd rather the 20 be before the push and the 15 be after as I am generally pushing the button after something happens, not before. Even 30/30 would be fine - I just don't want to lose something from it not recording far enough back or not protecting the actual incident because it was on the previous file.

Any thoughts/preferences from others?

there's a limitation on how much before you can capture
OK, assuming that limitation is about 15 seconds, it still doesn't explain why the lock operation is different than how the A119 operates, unless I'm in the minority in wanting to make sure time is captured before and after.

OK, assuming that limitation is about 15 seconds, it still doesn't explain why the lock operation is different than how the A119 operates, unless I'm in the minority in wanting to make sure time is captured before and after.

limitation will vary according to the bitrate, it's a physical memory space limitation as to how much prior to an event you can save, cameras that prebuffer can typically only save around 5 seconds prior

saving an entire prior segment (which is just moved) is probably easier to manage, will still need some work to make it happen

Well, perhaps someone an confirm whether the A119 operates as they say in the 1080p mode. If it does, then I'd think it should work here too, same chipset and all. Other option would be that if the button was pushed in the last 20 seconds or so of a file, then that file and the next one get copied. There are numerous ways to make this better...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'd prefer lock of 2 files.
1 before the trigger and 1 current file plus 1 after. In case of accident, you may want to save as many files as possible but 2 should cover enough.
Just yesterday, I pressed event button only to find the file it locked was the file after what I wanted to save as it was at around 2:45 and by the time I pressed the button, it was recording another file.

Back