Emergency saving a video on a rear mounted camera

bronze84

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware F750, K1S, Marcus3, Mobius, Xiaomi Yi, Sony AS100v
I've been thinking about this a bit recently.

I have a cam up front and in the rear. The time came where I wanted to save a video on the rear cam. It wasn't until the need to save this video that I realised it was an issue. Basically, without stopping the car, opening the rear doors and pressing the save button, I can't think of a way to do it. The obvious solution is to get a high capacity card and review the footage once on a computer. However at the time I wanted to save the video, I had a car full of kids (and a wife) and a weekend worth of luggage. Plus I was about 50 miles in to a 350 mile journey, so not the most ideal of times to stop the car to save a clip, also my memory card ended up looping anyway.

With more and more credible dual cams coming out I think they are the way forward for sheer convenience if anything else.

I'm interested to know how other users get around this problem or if indeed anyone else actually finds it a problem?

I remember that someone solder 2 wires from the mobius M button on the circuit board, he just makes an extension for it.

I had thought of this myself as I'm going to be adding a rear camera. For me, I power the cameras with a dual output cigarette lighter adapter up front in my console, a small one that has two USB outputs. I have one ran to the front camera already, and I have already ran the wire to where the rear camera will be. For me anyway I can just unplug the camera as needed and it will save and shut down the camera. Easy solution for me anyway, as long as I don't go needing the video again real quick like getting rear ended three blocks after I power it down! :) My camera will record a few hours at a time though so barring really long trips I should be okay regardless, but just in case I'll unplug it if I'm really going to need the video.

My wires are hidden and look good, and I still have access to manually power cycle. I have an add-a-circuit hardwired for my radar detector too, so I'm all wired up quite nicely!

Not really seeing a need for such a mod...

Maybe i am wrong, but doesn't the cam record in preset blocks, time duration, set by user , and if there is an accident, won't you be looking to secure that video, plus if the vehicle stalls, that will cut the power to the cam, safely shutting it down..

And finally, if you are involved in a accident, and the vehicle is still running, it be turned off and vehicles battery disconnected, by the fire response team...

I know this for a fact, as a retired firefighter, i can tell you , one of the first things we did at a accident scene, was to disconnect the battery...

I agree with you. In case of a violent accident I guess cables will slide apart cutting power and last file saved that way. But what if there's no catastrophe? Just a near miss or some other weird situation you want to keep and review later? I think this remote thing is just brilliant, probably going to be my next mod. Why not hook it up to something more spectacular? I would like one of these sitting on my dashboard! :D

TTM_017-large.jpg

i prefer this one which we have at work :D
WTFBUT_2.jpg

I had exactly this problem a couple of months back: my old dod F500HD car cam was used as my rear, since it was working fine other than the battery. So it only works with car power turned on. After this particular accident when I was rear ended, I forgot to manually stop the recording for it to finalise the file. Instead, I turned off the engine, and this last file is now unreadable.

Here's the long shot: is there anyway to manually finalise it? The file is there on the memory card, just that it can't be read by any player at all.

You can try the file repair option in registrator viewer, let it check a working file then it uses those parameters to rebuild the headers on the broken file

You can try the file repair option in registrator viewer, let it check a working file then it uses those parameters to rebuild the headers on the broken file

I tried to do it using the repair broken file button but there is no 'OK' button after I've selected the file and the other file. The dialog box just stays there. Any more pointers?

Attachments

• Registrator repair tool.jpg
    Registrator repair tool.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 6
I've been thinking about this a bit recently.

I have a cam up front and in the rear. The time came where I wanted to save a video on the rear cam. It wasn't until the need to save this video that I realised it was an issue. Basically, without stopping the car, opening the rear doors and pressing the save button, I can't think of a way to do it. The obvious solution is to get a high capacity card and review the footage once on a computer. However at the time I wanted to save the video, I had a car full of kids (and a wife) and a weekend worth of luggage. Plus I was about 50 miles in to a 350 mile journey, so not the most ideal of times to stop the car to save a clip, also my memory card ended up looping anyway.

With more and more credible dual cams coming out I think they are the way forward for sheer convenience if anything else.

I'm interested to know how other users get around this problem or if indeed anyone else actually finds it a problem?

A desire for this type of feature is when it's time to graduate from 2 independent single cams, to a full blown Dual Channel solution. We just launched the new Panorama X2, and other Dual Channel solutions are on the way as well. Good things in the works.

Silly me ... the dialog box can be enlarged, just need to drag it.

Tried the full file scan method, results not very good.

The other method doesn't seem to do anything at all.

:(

Attachments

• Registrator repair tool 2.jpg
    Registrator repair tool 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Registrator repair tool 3.jpg
    Registrator repair tool 3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Maybe in the future we will see dash cams whit a central unit and 2 long cables connected to tiny cameras one for the front and one for the rear.

And you can place the central unit were its more handy for you to push the buttons.

Something like this?

1443287608_1579932609.jpg

yes, that's perfect, what is the brand and model?

Back