empty fuse slot versus "in use" for hardwire.

mackbig

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I havent hard-wire installed a dashcam in 10 years. Each time i upgraded cameras, I just plugged into the same power source. I just traded in my 2009 bmw and got a 2020 Mini Countryman. I have the Blackvue power magic. I did the wrap the wire around one of the fuse prongs last install.

There are tons of empty slots in the panel of the Mini. I found some with always-on and some switched. I will be getting ATM add-a-fuses from Amazon tomorrow.

My question is the following. Why not put the fuse tap into an empty slot vs finding a "non-safety system" fuse from the somewhat confusing map.
Is there something I am missing, seems pulling a fuse whether its a key-safety system or not, is more risky that using a blank space.

thanks

There is no issue with using a blank slot, as long as it’s an active slot. Just be sure to orientate the tap correctly in the fuse box.

I have my VIOFO Dual 4k hardwired with their kit and used micro 2 tap. I order a pack of 4 from another vendor on amazon, as VIOFO comes only with 1 and you need two. No way will I pay twice.

The way it works, in my case I used the cigarette accessory fuse, moved the 20 amp fuse into the tap, and a 5 amp fuse for my VIOFO. If the 5 amp fuse blows, has no effect on my cigarette accessory, still works.

I didn't verify this, but I am assuming, if the 20 amp fuse blows, my 5 amp would not be operative. I meant to test it, but didn't, so I stand corrected. It may vary with manufacture, but safety would suggest it would not be operative, due to overload to the wiring.

If there is power in the spare and switch on when accessory on or vehicle running, provided it is rated for the amp you need, should be okay. However, you need a connection for one wire that is always powered for park mode operation. In my case I connected it to my battery, with inline fuse and the ground to the battery.

My TIPEN/Fuse box has lots of spares, but couldn't measure any power when I tested on some. Some parts I ordered came in, wanted to solder and shrink wrap, instead of crimps, which I used initially. Also putting on a harness protector over all the wiring. Though I like connecting to my battery terminals for my VHF/UHF radio, VIOFO and Radenzo Radar hardwire kit, all fused.

So I may try testing all my spares, for switch and unswitched. Just to see. Sound like your spares have both, long as they are fused and don't exceed the rating, should be okay.

Back