Enable sound alert when not able to record to the card?

albertr

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been an early adopter of SG9665GC V3 (bought two of them when they came to the US last December). I like this little dashcam for its size and good video quality, however I have two concerns after using them for last 11 months:

1. The 3M tape doesn't stick to base mount. I have already replaced the tape twice on both units and now I'm out of tape. Where can I get replacement tape for base mounts? It doesn't seem to hold for more than 5 months. My previous dashcam units (iTronics ITB-100HD) stayed there for about 6 years without any tape separation issues.

2. I recently was involved in a car accident and to my big surprise have found that the SD card (Lexar 633x 200GB) is dead and non-recoverable, so I lost all the recordings including the scene of the accident I was involved in. Obviously I would advise against using Lexar products based on this experience, however I'm also very concerned why SG9665GC didn't make any sound alarms when it was not able to record to the card. I have it mounted behind the rearview mirror, so it's hidden and I cannot see it. My old iTronics ITB-100HD dashcams were very vocal when they are not able to record to the card, which I assumed (probably wrongly) SG9665GC would do too? Is there any menu option to turn on voice alarm if SD card is not writable? What did I miss here?

Thanks,
-albertr

Last edited:
jokiin, just saw your response in the lexar card thread. So there's no option to enable sound alarm if it cannot record to the card?

-albertr

1. Let me know your name, shipping address, email (via private message or email me) We changed 3M suppliers and the new 3M Tape we just got in last month is great and proven to be good with side by side testing. We are not sure why the original supplier we used for years started to have issues but it's all sorted now.

2. Lexar has quality issues lately it's not a recommended card any more. They are setting themselves up to be bought out and have used cheap components to keep their price down. We used to bundle Transcend, and now include Samsung EVO (U3 for 64/128) We've never bundled Lexar though ever.

NT96655 SDK doesn't support audio alerts only visual. The new SG9663DC uses a NT96663 chip and it supports audio alerts.

Last edited:
jokiin, just saw your response in the lexar card thread. So there's no option to enable sound alarm if it cannot record to the card?

-albertr

audible alerts are not supported by the chipset, that is something we have in the new 2 channel model as it does support that function, depends how and why it can't write to card as to what you can do, regular checking of the memory cards is always recommended regardless as it's the weak point for any recorder

the 3M tape issue @Street Guardian USA will sort out for you

Thank you for explanation. I guess I have to keep remembering to check SG9665GC recording indicator after starting up the car.

-albertr

Thank you for explanation. I guess I have to keep remembering to check SG9665GC recording indicator after starting up the car.

-albertr
Not a big deal. I have 1 in front behind the RVM and 1 in the rear. After a while it's as automatic as putting on your seat belt - you do it reflexively.

remembering to check SG9665GC recording indicator after starting up the car.

Actually i think that might still fool you, at least i seem to recall something about cameras looking as if they are recording but are not recording anything at all, but i cant tell from my messed up memory if this was relating to the GC or it was some other product.

Good thing we are moving along to newer things that can do better in this regard, cuz it is after all the #1 thing for a dashcam ( recording )

you do it reflexively.

Yes using single camera in the rear i always look for the flashing LED in the mirror, and i do the same for the C3 unit on my Right side, and i would like to do the same with my mobius in the Left side, but i cant turn and see that while driving, so have to be stopped to inspect its LED.

you do it reflexively.
It does indeed, becomes a part of the start-up routine. No lights remaining on the dashboard? Fuel OK? Flashing dashcams? Left blinker and let's go.

It does indeed, becomes a part of the start-up routine. No lights remaining on the dashboard? Fuel OK? Flashing dashcams? Left blinker and let's go.
forgot the head check for your blind spot. dont wanna run over a cyclist.

Hell no, here that will automatically enroll you for a new theoretical and practical driving test.
So even if you are not at fault you will still be "fined" whatever it cost for those two tests today, and i think its at least a couple of 1000 DKkr.

This are one of the prime reasons i have a dashcam, cuz i will be fighting hard to not have to pay the slightest for something that's not my fault, and even if a cyclist run a red light, then its still your fault you hit him it seem.

Same here, pedestrians and cyclists are always right.

Because the "others" are those that have an insurance. No use condemning someone who can't pay...

+1 :D
Just got my 'new' 2nd vehicle registered yesterday and was going to the store when a half mile later I realized that I'd forgotten to stick the spare cam in it. It only hit me when I found myself looking for a blinking cam LED out of habit ;) Back to the house I go :whistle:

Phil

Just got my 'new' 2nd vehicle registered yesterday and was going to the store when a half mile later I realized that I'd forgotten to stick the spare cam in it. It only hit me when I found myself looking for a blinking cam LED out of habit ;) Back to the house I go :whistle:

Phil
It does become habit forming :D

Phil
Yep, picking up a new vehicle today or tomorrow (hopefully). Right now I'm working on how to do a temp install of a 'GC' in the current vehicle for the trip to the dealer and a temp install of the 'GC' in the new one for the trip home. Definitely going to involve one of these plus some Dual-Lock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000FGI9R0

Yep, picking up a new vehicle today or tomorrow (hopefully). Right now I'm working on how to do a temp install of a 'GC' in the current vehicle for the trip to the dealer and a temp install of the 'GC' in the new one for the trip home.

shame we didn't have the suction cup ready yet

shame we didn't have the suction cup ready yet
Not a problem. I already had the device I linked and it's working well as a temporary, or possibly permanent if needed, solution.

Back