Encryption options for SD card

gonfishin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Im looking to secure the reading of the data since the dashcam is always in the car. A nice solution would be that anyone reading the files would need a password while the writing of data by the dashcam would be permitted without a passcode.

If anyone has advice on this it would be greatly appreciated

Nothing like what you would like exist in commercial grade dash / car cameras.
I am not so worried about the footage on the many cameras in my car, actually my only worry are if the cameras and or memory cards got stolen and what i would have to pay to replace on them.
There are nothing of interest relating to me on the memory cards, unless you talk about my talent for singing along or angry reactions ( most often in English and other than Danish language ) to other motorists, and the occasional transgressions of mine in relation to the traffic code here.

But the latter are not that often, at least not compared to the stuff i see and record other people doing in traffic.

You will soon see single and dual channel cameras where both cameras are on a wire so you can hide the main unit really good in the car, but i would not bury it too deep as you have to get to it once in a while at least.

O and welcome to the forum gonfishin ( nice movie )

Thanks for the welcome kamcar1. I disagree and I fell that is a breach of privacy and security. The camera can easily let the thief know many aspects of my families life: where I live, where my kids go to school/after school, etc. To think that there is no solution is mind boggling, I mean dashcams have been around for a long time, and sd cards even longer. Until I find a solution to this my dashcam will not be in the car.

Yes it is quite a individual thing what people expect from a dashcamera, some have it seem a tremendous need for wifi in them and it must have some form of cloud feature too.

But a single dashcam unload about 100 MB of footage every minute, so you will need a good data plan, and also good 4G coverage in the area you drive in for that to be usable.

If i discard my personal dislike for anything cloud, then not even here in little old Denmark that have a pretty decent cell coverage as we are a pretty flat country, then its not something i would expect would work at least not if you venture away from the major populated areas.
We actually have places on the map where people need to have a land line as they can not expect cell coverage in their house.

And most Danes data are also out there, just write down my licenceplate, search it on the internet and you have my address and what not related to my car, and then you can move on from there and not even having to resort to ALL the data that have been hacked which as far as i know are pretty much all the data on us, and data on Danes are the stuff NSA can only dream about having on Americans or the enemy's of America.

But s i said a individual thing, and i fully respect your take on things (y)

O and i would take encrypted hard drives or what ever data storage media for dashcams in a heartbeat, i am actually also a pretty private guy, dont even use wifi unless i am forced to it in a big way, i would never connect my phone to a public wifi access point, and actually i am just waiting for the day when i can throw out my phone, but right now for family reasons i am forced to carry one.

If i was to track some one / find out movement patterns, then i would just put a little GPS tracker on the persons car, and maybe do something with the location beacon ( phone ) most people carry too.

Breaking into a car and copy / steal dashcam footage seem like the less optimal route, bui now i better stop before i freak out all the tin foil hat wearing people out there ( something i often get accused for being myself just cuz i opt out of some technologies )

I find your responses very entertaining but not really relevant to solving the problem I came here to gain insight on. If you or anyone can guide me in the right direction that would enhance privacy and security of data recorded on a dashcam I would gladly accept. Please don't take my comments too directly, I simply have an objective to reach. Thank you for your time.

short answer is there's no encrypted data option in any consumer grade dashcam product at this time

Back