Energy saving mode F200

152bobby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 2CH 622GW/Nextbase 422GW/Thinkware F200 2 CH Pro
I currently have this option turned off, but with all the Muppets that are around, especially in supermarket car parks, I'm thinking of turning this option on. If I activate this setting, will it run my car battery down at all ?

To use parking mode you most times need a hard wire kit, and on that you can often set a low voltage cut off to make sure the camera can not run your car battery flat.
I an not sure if your brand of camera might have this low voltage cut off in the camera itself, it seem some 12V cameras have that.

But i would assume the energy saving mode can only be used in conjunction with parking mode, make no sense to save power when the car is running and recording in normal mode.

I should have mentioned that it is hardwired. It is the Parking Mode option that I want to try. This I assume is the option, if someone hits my car when it's parked and I come back to the car and see damage, I can just view the last video clip ?
I have the front and rear cameras, so assuming it's damaged at the front or back, I'll see something, if it's hit from the side, all I'll know is the time it happened and possibly someone driving off.
I've always been concerned about using the parking mode option in case I come back to a flat battery !!

Is Energy Saving Mode different from the Parking Mode, maybe I'm confused about the two ?

Event files, created by a sensor trigger ( G-sensor / moment ) or you pressing the manual event button found on dashcams, the files often go to a separate folder often called RO ( Read Only )
But what ever your camera do the file should then be protected from the normal routine of the camera overwriting oldest footage to make room for new stuff when the memory card are full.
Mind you some systems also do the same for event files, but it is not like you only have room for 5 events in the memory space set aside for event files, so you should not need to worry unless you run a stupid small memory card.
As you have a 2 channel system you should be running a 128 GB memory card, anything less i would say is too small for such a system,,,,,, and some sellers would sell a 16GB card for such a system, which i find a insult to general intelligence of mankind.

The energy saving mode also confuse me a little, but i also have absolutely no user knowledge of the brand of camera you have, so i can only make general observations / recommendations.

But it should not do any harm to try it out, depending on what mode of trigger you use for parking guard you can always test it ( sneak up on car in low light for testing motion detect ) or kick wheels and push car body to try and trigger G-sensor if you use that.
Most dashcams when in parking mode and stand by you can look in the side window and see by a LED what mode it is in, so you know when to try something out.
When you find low voltage cut off, you will have some voltages to select in between, i would not use a setting under 12.2 volts, it will either be a switch on the hardwire kit or a setting item in the cameras own menus.

The thinkware hard wire kit don't seem to have the low voltage cut off on it, so it must be in the camera i assume.

The energy save mode are also mentioned there, but not what it is just the supported models.

Under the camera itself it say " Energy Saving in Parking mode records footage triggered by impacts only, allowing the dash cam to reduce power consumption and remain in Parking mode for a longer duration. "
So energy save mode means G-sensor trigger only, other forms of parking mode recording will not be using this feature and so use a little more power.

Can anyone look at the attached. This is what my dashcam settings are set at, I have fiddled with the settings but cant het the one I want.

It is recording motion, for example people walking past etc, I don't want this, all I want to do is to have the dashcam in the mode which will record any incidents if some bumps into my car when its parked.

Can anyone tell me what to change in the setting to just have the mode I have stated above. I'm not interested in recording people walking past my car.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200301-113135.png
    Screenshot_20200301-113135.png
    258.8 KB · Views: 5
The three dots seen in the lowest box to the far right of the camera icon might be a drop-down menu or lead to a settings menu. I'd click there and see what happens ;)

Phil

Dash Cam Settings - Recording Settings - Parking Mode (y)
F200.png
Motion will record 10 seconds before & after any movement detected (You won't get that many recordings on the standard size 16gb card though especially as you have Front & Rear) also if it detects an impact it will also record 10 before & after.
Energy Saving stops recording to save power but if it detects an impact it will wake and start recording within 1 second. You would miss the actual event but get the aftermath. As it uses less power the camera will last longer before shutting down due to low battery voltage.

I recommend setting the Impact Sensitivity in Parking Mode quite high so smallish impacts are detected. Also i usually recommend 12.0v for battery shut down level.

Excellent, I'll do these settings and see how it goes.
I have a Thinkware 64gb card fitted, so that should be ok.
Thanks

With a 64gb card that should be 190 (about 63 minutes in total) Movement detection's it can save on the Default 'Continuous' Priority setting.

So far so good over the past few days. On the current recommended settings, when I exit the car, the dashcam states it's going into Parking mode and when I get in to the car and the dashcam boots up, it tells me if anything has been detected whilst in parking mode. Mostly she says one detection, which is actually me opeing the door and getting into the car.

I'll monitor and test this a bit more before I apply the same settings to my daughters car which also has a F200 two channel hardwired system.

Thanks for the help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Thinkware Other 0
Back