Engine startup recording issues

Herbse

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sometimes when I start the engine before the camera says "start recording", the light is green but camera doesn't record anything for the entire trip.

It seems that I have to put the car into accessories, wait for the camera to say "start recommend" then turn the engine on.

I read a post somewhere that said they were able to fix this by getting power from their headunit which doesn't cut out during startup. But I don't have such a feature on any of my cabin electronics that I can see.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue and if they've found a solution

I did have that problem. I discovered that if I turn the ignition on and then start the engine immediately the dash cam records every time. I've now bought a cheap Power Pack which I plug into the cigarette socket then plug the dash cam into the power pack. That seems to be a better fix to the problem.

I did have that problem. I discovered that if I turn the ignition on and then start the engine immediately the dash cam records every time. I've now bought a cheap Power Pack which I plug into the cigarette socket then plug the dash cam into the power pack. That seems to be a better fix to the problem.

benefit of the compact size of that power pack is at least the fire will be smaller when it lets go, would not suggest doing pass through charging with this type of battery

benefit of the compact size of that power pack is at least the fire will be smaller when it lets go, would not suggest doing pass through charging with this type of battery
In one of my other cars I use a 10 second timer which only supplies power to the dash cam after 10 seconds.

I've ended up buying an NE555 timer board and hardwired the 70mai behind the dash. The delay gives me time to start the engine and stops this startup issue.

I've ended up buying an NE555 timer board and hardwired the 70mai behind the dash. The delay gives me time to start the engine and stops this startup issue.

Was this pre-built or did you assemble/solder the components together? If pre-built please post a link to where you got it- I'm sure many others can benefit from this, especially diesel owners in colder climates where engine starting can be a longer process ;)

Phil

Was this pre-built or did you assemble/solder the components together? If pre-built please post a link to where you got it- I'm sure many others can benefit from this, especially diesel owners in colder climates where engine starting can be a longer process ;)

Phil

I used a ready made board - eBay Link
With a hard wired USB cable - eBay Link
And wired it up in the following way to get the delay:
1zc22ky.png

Connected to the cars accessories, not directly to constant +ve as that is showing.

You can chose a range of 0 - 10 second delay, which should be enough for most people to start the engine

Back