erased video recordings near police cars?

NMA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was improperly and impolitely pulled over by a police car, case of mistaken identity, but after trying to review the event, all the footage leading up to that time and around that time had been erased. Sirens were on etc. Has anyone else experienced this?

Extremely unlucky coincidence unless the cam stopped recording when you switched the engine off as the normally do without a Power Magic Pro.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. In fact, in 2 years this is the first time I've lost any recordings (apart from when they are overwritten of course when the disk is full)....either for when the car is stationery (motion sensor recordings front and rear when parked/unattended anytime) or moving. The full twenty minutes of recording were erased. As if they never existed. When the car pulled me over and while we were chatting. The recording ceased from the one minute segment prior to the incident with the police car and started again from the one minute segment after the police car drove off and I started driving. I use a BlackVue DR900S-2CH. This is why I'm so confused. And....it was extremely inconvenient, which is why I am looking for an explanation or if it has happened to anyone else.

Maybe the Police connected to the wifi and stopped the recording.
Have you put a decent password on the connection?

How weird is that. But another alternative could possibly be an alien intervention conspiracy.

How weird is that. But another alternative could possibly be an alien intervention conspiracy.
An alien alliance with the police seems a little unlikely to me :greyalien:

The full twenty minutes of recording were erased. As if they never existed.
Were they recorded and then erased?... or never recorded to begin with? Two different things with two entirely different explanations/causes/reasons/etc.

I'm not familiar with Blackvue file naming conventions but can you determine that from the file names? Can you post a screen shot of the files from the card directory showing where the missing video clips should be?

Last edited:
Yes if you have deleted files there will be a hole in the naming of the files, so ( example ) if you have files named 2015 - 2016 - 2017 - 2018 and then next files are named 2036 - 2037 - 2038 ECT then you have a hole if missing files that have been created but are deleted now.
Where as if your file names are all consecutive your camera have been recording but just not right at that time.

you also say 2 years, so what have you done in regard to maintenance and so in that period, you should format the memory card every month or two, and you should also look over the recoded footage now and then to see if something like this is happening as that could be a sign of something having failed or are about to fail.
It take me 5 - 10 minutes to look over a 128 GB memory card on the computer.

if you have files named 2015 - 2016 - 2017 - 2018 and then next files are named 2036 - 2037 - 2038 ECT then you have a hole if missing files that have been created but are deleted now.
That is not correct. If the cam just stopped recording between 20:18 and 20:36 you would get exactly the the same scenario of filenames that you suggest..

Having said that, of course your maintenance routine is pretty vital.

The really spooky thing about all this is the fact that, for whatever reason, just the 'vital' files are missing with recording prior and after the event and apart from my facetious comment earlier, I have no logical explanation.

That is not correct. If the cam just stopped recording between 20:18 and 20:36 you would get exactly the the same scenario of filenames that you suggest..
He is talking about the file sequence numbers/names, not the time stamps. Of course if the camera doesn't use a sequence number and only uses the timestamp as a unique identifier then it's a moot point.

It has to be coincidental- I know of no other explanation which fits the facts. I would be thoroughly testing that card before trusting it again. And TBH as cheap as cards are right now I'd buy a new one anyway; I have deep issues with trustworthiness in everything and everyone :rolleyes: Keep the old card for a spare or repurpose it in a less critical application ;)

Phil

...I know of no other explanation which fits the facts...
Motion detection being turned on could be an explanation but I intentionally didn't mention that as a possibility due to not being familiar with the camera.

Could be possible but the OP did mention that there has never been a problem retrieving recordings before so I'd presume they understand what that does.

Phil

Back