Essentials / Desirables

Fairynuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware Q800 Pro
I've had a dash cam on my cars for the past 10 years, I've moved it on from car to car. I bought that cam direct from Korea, it was cheap and the software is in Korean but it has served me well. Technology must have moved on and improved.

It was easier 10 years ago because there was less choice, now there's hundreds to choose from and the price varies massively (of course you know this but this is the problem for me).

To narrow it down give a check list of essential features and desirable features. I understand it might be subject, essential for him but not for me but essential / desirable to most people for most situations.

I should add that the cam I will choose I will w3ant to hardwire into the fuse box (maybe that is a feature of all cams today I don't know, 10 years ago some ran on batteries that needed changing/charging).

I don't know what have now . . . . I have just opened the software that I use to read/copy the clips and it's mostly Korean but with some English script, at the top it has the title iPASS BLACK v.1.3.4.

Funny story on this . . . . as I said I bought it direct from Korea (can't recall what it cost me) it was stuck in Customs for weeks because the Koreans (thinking it might be helpful) had put a value on it of 50p! I presume the Customs gut knew it must be more than 50p but could figure out what to do so he just kept looking at it until it got dusty!

OK . . perhaps it's easier if I start with my essentials/desirables and you point me towards the cam. In order of priority.
1. Reliable
2. Small enough to fit behind/besides the mirror (current cam is 10cm x 4cm (perfect size (see pics)).
3. Attaches in a way that does not dangle down.
4. Pictures clear enough to zoom in on and read number plates.
5. Wires directly into the fuse panel.
6. Camera comes on/records if someone walks in front of it or if the car is touched (door handle tried).
7. Comes with an app so I can see clips on my phone.

Not required . .
Screen on reverse

Attachments

• DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 19
What is your budget?

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Hi I don't have a budget, if this cam lasts as long as the last one it'll be money well spent, that said I can see some cams costing £300 and I can't see what I am getting over a cam costing £100. I don't mind spending £300 if I am convinced it's worth the money.

I bought my mini 0906 from combi uk on ebay. It’s a 2 channel camera for £115 including a hardwire kit and fuse adapters. Has been very reliable since I fitted it last October.

what is 1CH / 2CH what's it do, what's the difference?

I always recommend setting your priorities like this, but I always note that there will almost always be compromises needing to be made on some of the lesser points. Several cams cover most, but not all, of your points. #4 Number plate capture isn't a given even with the best cams. The ones which I feel do this best don't meet your size requirements. #5 All USB-powered cams can be installled with a "hardwire kit"; cams powered by 12V don't need that. #6 Many cams tout 'motion detect' and 'G-sensor' functions but many do not work well enough to be useful. Even fewer will begin recording quickly when activated. And darn few have 'pre-buffering' to ensure the entire event gets recorded. Some cams use 'time-lapse' for parking which takes a snapshot at regular intervals (intervals vary). You'll have to research each possible choice to determine what might work well enough for you while parked.

IMHO here's some you may want to consider-
Right size but no screen: B1W, 70mai, DDPai Mini2, some Thinkware and Blackvue models. Only a couple have really good image quality.
Best images for plate capture: A129, A119 with Modified Firmware. Form-factor won't work for you though.

Possibly best overall in ticking all your boxes right now would likely be the Mini0906 which can be used singly or with it's rear cam, however of late there seems to have been a lowering of build quality based on reported problems. And it's not noted for best reliability or longevity but is pretty good with that for it's price. Interesting and possibly best for almost anyone will be the Street Guardian Dual-Remote model which will be released soon. They have a reputation for great cams with features which work well, but some features may not be activated initially, only coming later in firmware updates when they're satisfied the bugs are all worked out.

Sorry I can't be more precise with a recommendation but as I noted some compromise is usually necessary in selecting a cam, and researching what it's owners have experienced is a must-do before buying.

Phil

I can vouch for combi uk on ebay if you’re after the mini 0906. They pay extra to the manufacturer, for a more robust quality control which ensures less problems to the end user. The manufacturer places a mark on the camera to show that it has undergone the extra quality control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the 1CH / 2CH question. Is that 2 cams i.e. if it is advertised at 2CH do two cams come in the box? And, if that is the case, does that mean that a wire has to get from one cam to the other cam (across the length of the car)?

PS Thanks for the helpful replies to date - much appreciated.

Yes 2 separate cameras connected by a 6m cable. The rear camera is very small. Some have suggested using the rear camera at the front and the main unit at the rear as both have the same resolution.

Wow . . . . . . threading that cable through the car (so that it is hidden) must be difficult.

I fitted it in the headlining from front to back along the doors

Back