Event recording..

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious, how exactly does the event button work. I was under the impression that if you pushed it, it would save the current 5 minute clip. Usually, it seems to work ok. But today, I pushed it and all I got was a 39 second clip of video about 20 seconds after what I wanted archived. Why did it do this?? What happens if youre at the 4:59 mark of a clip and you push event? Does it only save that one second plus the previous 4:59, or does it save 2:30 prior to and after you push the button or does it save the next 5:00 since you were 1 second from goin into the next clip? Just kind of frustrating that I finally have something I really wanted on video and it didn't save but :39 of it.

That's another thing that kind of irks me a bit. Why only 30 sec, 1min and 5 min clips? When ever would you need 1 min clips? I would think 5,10 and 15 would be the standard. Im guessing maybe file corruption is the reason. Better to corrupt a 5 min clip than a 15 min on. I don't know, just seems it would be tidier to have a card with maybe 15 clips on it than 30 or 40.

I have mine set to 1 min.

a triggered even saves around 40 seconds of video, that's normal

That's another thing that kind of irks me a bit. Why only 30 sec, 1min and 5 min clips? When ever would you need 1 min clips? I would think 5,10 and 15 would be the standard. Im guessing maybe file corruption is the reason. Better to corrupt a 5 min clip than a 15 min on. I don't know, just seems it would be tidier to have a card with maybe 15 clips on it than 30 or 40.

For file handling, redundancy and stability shorter files are better

To me it allso seem to be quicker to locate a thing recorded at some time, not least as i dont use any form of event recording.
I have to remember where or when to locate the exact situation again, and that work okay as long as i do it the same day.

I use 3 minute clips.

I don't know, Ive pushed the event button in the past and it seems to always save 5 min clips. Odd. Thanks though. I guess Ill have to be quicker when pushing the button.

I don't know, Ive pushed the event button in the past and it seems to always save 5 min clips. Odd. Thanks though. I guess Ill have to be quicker when pushing the button.

have never seen the SGZC12SG do that, firmware bug maybe, will have to check

I just looked at an event clip and it was 3:24 long. Some are :39 as well. Question is, does it record the moment you push event button forward? Or does :20 on each end from the point you push it? You cant predict and event, its after the fact and you want to preserve that clip that the event occurred in.

Perhaps that could be a future firmware upgrade. Like I said before, if the event prevents you from immediately pressing the button, you may miss said event. I drive semis, so I may not be back till well after the 4hr capacity of a 32g card starts to record over the older footage. It took me around 30 sec before I could safely reach up and push the button after an event occurred. I guess I can pull over and manually locate said file and lock it.

for your kind of work a lot of users go for a bigger card as getting to an event button might not always be practical (or possible) at the time

when you trigger the event it will give you 5 seconds prior to the press
any way of increasing this? if you are driving, someone pulls out in front of you or an event happens and you have to swerve to avoid or swerve and brake it could take more than 5 seconds to get the car stable again or reach the mental point of being able to press the button. I think 10-15 seconds would be more the go??

any way of increasing this? if you are driving, someone pulls out in front of you or an event happens and you have to swerve to avoid or swerve and brake it could take more than 5 seconds to get the car stable again or reach the mental point of being able to press the button. I think 10-15 seconds would be more the go??

not really as the value relates to the pre buffer, it just empties that as part of the process to give you the time before the event, it's really designed around the auto saved files so that you get the seconds prior to the triggered event, that's the trade off with manual saved events with pre buffer

Back