Ex-Taco Bell exec sues Uber driver for $5 million

ddnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC, Mobius C
A former Taco Bell executive who was arrested and fired after a viral dash-cam video showed him attacking an Uber driver is now suing that driver for $5 million — saying the driver illegally recorded the violent incident.

Ousted exec Benjamin Golden, 32, also said in court papers that driver Edward Caban, is to blame for any injuries he suffered during their Oct. 30 encounter in Costa Mesa, Calif.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/15/ex-taco-bell-exec-now-suing-uber-driver-for-5-million.html

Unreal. I'd argue that the assault happened after the passenger was instructed to leave, at which point he would have no say over whether recording was allowed.

Unreal. I'd argue that the assault happened after the passenger was instructed to leave, at which point he would have no say over whether recording was allowed.

lawyers trying to twist things based on technicalities

"Excuse me Sir, would it be alright for me to record you while you attack me?"
That's basically what they are saying he should have requested.

We need to scrap all laws that make relevant, factual evidence inadmissible. Yes, all of them. Facts are facts and should be presented no matter what.

well they're trying to say he had no right to be recording to begin with, that law however relates to audio, you don't need audio to work out the guy in the back is well at fault and nothing that could have been said would have justified what he did anyway, weasel lawyers trying to do what weasel lawyers do, would be nice if it comes before a judge with some common sense, won't hold my breath though

well they're trying to say he had no right to be recording to begin with, that law however relates to audio, you don't need audio to work out the guy in the back is well at fault and nothing that could have been said would have justified what he did anyway, weasel lawyers trying to do what weasel lawyers do, would be nice if it comes before a judge with some common sense, won't hold my breath though

The article I read also referenced video as the determining factor, but conveniently did not explicitly state no audio was recorded. As noted in other posts, the law varies by state. PA requires two party consent and even if not made public, unlawful audio recording can subject you to civil action.

I'm curious if the entire recording with audio is a single entity or if video can be delineated from audio. If delineated, Golden may need to demonstrate his "damages" result from audio recording.

Golden's attorney requested the recording be barred from the criminal case. Seems to me, the recording should be in or out for both civil and criminal. I can understand you can't use illegally obtained evidence to establish criminal activity, but I don't understand how damages can be established by unlawful exposure of criminal activity. If the recording is unlawful, that would exempt the driver's insurance company from covering the incident. Since an Uber driver is unlikely to own assets worthy of Golden's attorney fees, his suit appears a fruitless pursuit.

The driver would be in a better position if a sticker notifying passengers of recording was in the video.

Either way, this will be good for dashcams. Since law enforcement increasingly use them, in the US they're not going away and the more people know, the more wary they will be of conduct and the more they will be installed.

I also think Uber and the like won't last. Since cab's pay fees to municipalities and are subject to regulation for safety and conduct, I suspect lawmakers will close the digital gap.

09542aa.jpg

law-policing-attorney-solicitor-prove-proves-lawyer-29608346_low.jpg

This perfectly demonstrate why i stopped drinking on a regular basis a half lifetime ago, i was starting to do more and more stupid stuff that made it hard to look some ppl in the eyes and not least my self in the mirror.
CUZ aside for 1 or 2 times when i was very young i have never been drinking so much i was not able to find my way home or remember what i have been doing last night, if you hit a level of intoxication that high, you really should get help.

Being intoxicated is not a excuse, and with very fjew exemptions i think the same about beeing addicted to somthing.
And i know addiction as there is at least 2 things i have been addicted to myself, but in the end i saw that and kicked those things out of my life overnight.

i was starting to do more and more stupid stuff that made it hard to look some ppl in the eyes and not least my self in the mirror.

simple solution would be to throw away all mirrors in your house and wear sun-glasses, so you don't have to look into other ppl eyes :)

Yeah that allso worked for a long time with my addictions, but in the end i had to man up and get it done.
I know i have done it a lot, but i really dont like to jump the fence where it is lowest, but with addiction often come a skewed sense of reality.

I wonder when 1st so called "dashcams AA" will be opened? I might need to join it :)

Edit: Not that I have "AA" problems @alcohol, but rather "problems/addiction" @ dashcams [emoji6]

Last edited:
I wonder when 1st so called "dashcams AA" will be opened? I might need to join it :)...
Someone will have to come up with a name with a good acronym. Unfortunately DCAA (Dash Cam Addicts Anonymous?) is already taken - http://www.dcaa.mil

This a pisser for the Uber driver. I was afraid that this was going to happen. I think I even posted "I can see the headlines now..." on the video post. If he would have had a security camera in use sign or something of that effect, would that have been sufficient? What a bummer ;/

Going to be hard for a drunk as **** person to give consent for cam anyway. The video did show him intoxicated, and he did attack without provocation because he couldn't talk clearly enough for giving direction.

And there's this: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/03/former-taco-bell-exec-faces-new-charges-in-uber-fracas.html He was sorry for the attack. So looks like his apology comes in the form of a $5M lawsuit?

Drunken foolish behavior seen by million around the world, got fired from a high position job, and now he is trying to embarrass himself with this dumb lawsuit. If I knew what his current address is I am tempted to send him a gift from poopsenders.com site.

If I knew what his current address is I am tempted to send him a gift from poopsenders.com site.
There's always zabasearch :D

There's always zabasearch :D
She has a lot on the line to lose for behaving badly. She went coo coo for Coco Puffs right on the camera. Fifteen years ago this would have not been possible unless a news crew was on location filming live. Now with camera phones, dash cams, social media and Reddit at your finger tips, the entire world can see how much of a dumb ass you are in a matter of seconds. I scratch my head every time I see an old episode of Cops air from the late 80's or early 90's with people of committed crimes and signed the release form. I can't help to wonder how many relationships or jobs it's costed them not having their faces blurred out. Once something like that airs, it will follow you forever. Kind of like the eHarmony Cat Lady:D

http://nextshark.com/anjali-ramikissoon-drunk-uber/

What will the Uber girl/customer use for a defense in this new video?

OM Steven fawking G :eek:
Another proof why i bless any god i dont have that i do not have any kids myself, i dont think i am equipped to handle a child of mine displaying that kind of behaviour.
At least not equipped to handle it in line with the Danish norms for how children is to be handled.

Okay she is grown up now, but that just make it worse in my mind, clearly somthing have failed then and now.

Cat girl need to get her emotions in line, okay they are a good thing to have ( lacking them myself to a degree ) but too much of them is allso noot good as can be seen in the video above.

I dont get ppl that release stuff like this on ther own, without having a gun to the head :rolleyes:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lola Off Topic 2