Exocet missile - lol... He came very quickly...

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
Trust me, he wasn't there as I entered the mini roundabout but he came from under the bridge at a rapid rate of knots, and I'm sure he was on a mobile too, but he still faffed about around the buses.

Young driver, just impetuous I guess...

Probably believes he had right of way, but when entering a roundabout you have to give way to people already on the roundabout ;)

As long as it isent a Harpoon missile, we have little luck with those.

On 6 September 1982, a Danish frigate, the HDMS Peder Skram, accidentally fired a Harpoon missile during maneuvers in the Kattegat.[1] The missile traveled 34 kilometers at low level, severing several power lines before striking some trees after which it exploded. The fireball and subsequent shock wave destroyed four unoccupied summer cottages and damaged a further 130 buildings in the immediate vicinity. No human injury was reported.

Cause
A navy investigation into the matter concluded that a technical malfunction was the cause of the launch as it happened without the launch key being activated. The missile system had undergone maintenance and was in the process of being checked by an expert from the navy material command, who was later charged and convicted for negligence, though most charges were later dropped following a second investigation. McDonnell Douglas, the manufacturer of the missile later paid the Danish government a compensation, which covered all the damages made by the missile.[2]

When i hear exocet missile i at once think Belgrano and the Falklands war

Visibility is not that good too. to be driving so fast.

As long as it isent a Harpoon missile, we have little luck with those.

On 6 September 1982, a Danish frigate, the HDMS Peder Skram, accidentally fired a Harpoon missile during maneuvers in the Kattegat.[1] The missile traveled 34 kilometers at low level, severing several power lines before striking some trees after which it exploded. The fireball and subsequent shock wave destroyed four unoccupied summer cottages and damaged a further 130 buildings in the immediate vicinity. No human injury was reported.

Cause
A navy investigation into the matter concluded that a technical malfunction was the cause of the launch as it happened without the launch key being activated. The missile system had undergone maintenance and was in the process of being checked by an expert from the navy material command, who was later charged and convicted for negligence, though most charges were later dropped following a second investigation. McDonnell Douglas, the manufacturer of the missile later paid the Danish government a compensation, which covered all the damages made by the missile.[2]
Doesn't take many brains to work out that you should use dummy missiles to check your launch system, not ones full of high explosives!

When i hear exocet missile i at once think Belgrano and the Falklands war
We sank the Belgrano with a torpedo from a submarine, it was the Argentinians firing the exocets, with help from the French because most of them didn't work and they only had 5 to start with!

Last edited:
Hehe yeah that sucker carry a 200 Kg warhead, good enough to sink a ship.
Yeah the exocets got used a lot in the 80ties, Iran fired off a lot too, even managed to make a big hole in a US warship and kill a lot of people.
The Arabian gulf was a nice place for a sailor to make money back then +200 % warzone bonus, quite a few ships got holes in them back then.
Off course sailing on a 200 M long ship filled with gasoline you have to ask yourself if it was worth the risk, personally i think i would have taken the chance but i dident start sailing before 1990 and by then it was a uneventful area to pass thru.
Countries that make weapons really should thing twice about who they sell them to ( /me ;) at his American internet friends )

Hehe yeah that sucker carry a 200 Kg warhead, good enough to sink a ship.
Yeah the exocets got used a lot in the 80ties, Iran fired off a lot too, even managed to make a big hole in a US warship and kill a lot of people.
The Arabian gulf was a nice place for a sailor to make money back then +200 % warzone bonus, quite a few ships got holes in them back then.
Off course sailing on a 200 M long ship filled with gasoline you have to ask yourself if it was worth the risk, personally i think i would have taken the chance but i dident start sailing before 1990 and by then it was a uneventful area to pass thru.
Countries that make weapons really should thing twice about who they sell them to ( /me ;) at his American internet friends )
Things have improved considerably since then, everyone now realises that invading your neighbours is never going to work out well these days, as Saddam Hussein proved when he invaded Kuwait, and even Argentina probably realises that invading its peaceful neighbour out in the Atlantic is not sensible since the UK provides its defence and we have submarine launched cruise missiles. Back in the 1980's they thought they could beat us, not realising that we could, would, and did send Vulcan nuclear bombers down there - serious mistake, but maybe our mistake for being too secretive about the capabilities of what was supposed to be a deterrent!

I was in a interesting debate not long ago, talking about Americas involvement in just about any central American country and some island states since the 50ties.
And it seemed every place they stuck in their hands in the end they got burned, but we never agreed on if it was for trade reasons or just the communist paranoia of the time.

I have been thinking if Brexit will finally solve the mess that is northern Ireland, those boys need to be cut loose i think, and then the pro British can stay and conform or move to the UK.

I was in a interesting debate not long ago, talking about Americas involvement in just about any central American country and some island states since the 50ties.
And it seemed every place they stuck in their hands in the end they got burned, but we never agreed on if it was for trade reasons or just the communist paranoia of the time.
It is due to the way they elect their leaders, the type of people that end up as president and the fact that they have a maximum of 2 terms to write themselves into the history books, after which the mess they leave is not their problem. The total opposite of China where the leaders are always highly qualified and experienced for the job and will be held responsible until retirement and probably until after death. Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages, but China hasn't invaded anywhere for thousands of years and the only real warfare was a civil war where the USA provided the weapons to the side that lost and which has resulted in on-going tensions between the two sides to this day!

I have been thinking if Brexit will finally solve the mess that is northern Ireland, those boys need to be cut loose i think, and then the pro British can stay and conform or move to the UK.
They can't move to the UK because they are already in the UK! Forcibly moving them out of their homes isn't going to result in peace, and if you were going to use force to move people, it would make more sense to move the minority across the border, not the majority across the sea.

The only peaceful answer is good education and time, unfortunately the children of the two sides are still being taught different versions of history which means the violence is likely to return at some point. It will very soon be a full year since they last managed to form a government in NI, there is no sign of the problems coming to an end, although without anyone in charge it does seem more peaceful than normal!

Yeah its a mess up there, and i have little faith in the so called peace walls being put up between communities.

I would like to split up Denmark, that island with our capitol are just a dragging anchor i feel for the rest of the country.
Then we can be the land of the Juts, and they can continue to be the land of the Dens :D

Yeah its a mess up there, and i have little faith in the so called peace walls being put up between communities.

I would like to split up Denmark, that island with our capitol are just a dragging anchor i feel for the rest of the country.
Then we can be the land of the Juts, and they can continue to be the land of the Dens :D
There are advantages as well as disadvantages to being part of an empire, you have to give up on independence well before you get to house level!

Something the Falklands Islands apparently appreciates; did they ever identify the 3 people who voted for independence in their referendum?

Rucking rear fog lamp too.

As soon as we get a bit of mist some people jump on the opportunity to use their front and rear fog lamps. But we also get others who drive in quite foggy conditions without ANY lights or just sidelights.

Its damn rare i fell the need for using my fog lights here, mainly i just turn the rear ones on if i am stopped or driving really slow due to traffic / fog.

The law also state that the visibility have to be significantly reduced before its okay to use fog light, and then you can use them as daytime running lights but then no other lights must be on the car, and this is where people run with their regular light and then fog light too to have 4 headlights like some of the new cars have with bright LED position light or i think its called daytime running lights too.

Actually you often see eople with just those LED lights on at night, and then as its automatic no rear light on the car as that's no longer needed during the daytime.
But those damn LEDS are so bright people think they have proper lights on, and truth be told they only light up the road a few M ahead of the car.

VW stopped fitting indicators ?

Back