Expected Lifespan of a Dashcam External Battery

woodturner

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have recently visited a couple of local retailers who sell and install dashcams. I mentioned to both salesmen that I was considering the use of an external dashcam battery (probably the BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8). Surprisingly, both salesmen told me that they very rarely install such a battery and that they don’t recommend it. One of the two told me that the expected lifespan of a battery like this is about 12 months at which time I’d have to replace it. I live in Texas and I’m not sure if his observation was heat-related. Regardless, I was rather surprised at the attempts to dissuade me from utilizing an external battery. I’d be interested to hear of the experiences from those who have installed such a battery – especially those who have done so and live in the southern US or other rather hot locales.

Last edited:
I’d be interested to hear of the experiences from those who have installed such a battery – especially those who have done so and live in the southern US or other rather hot locales.
I understand you're looking for a reply from someone with actual experience with a HOT climate.
I do not have that.
However, I was sent two dash cam battery packs for test & evaluation.
The BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8, and the BlackVue B-130X.
For the most part they share 99% identical hardware.
When it comes to software the B-130X is slightly more advanced because it can accommodate 12-24 Volt charging inputs.
The B-130X also has a more sophisticated protocol for preventing charging in "freezing" temperatures.

Back to your question.
During my research I found $20-$100 power banks that utilize the "regular" Li-ion & Li-polymer have around 1,000 full charge cycles.
Lithium Iron Phosphate, (dedicated dash cam battery packs) have around 5,000 full charge cycles.
However, the PC8 & B-130X have a conservative claimed full charge cycles of around 1,500.
I've seen this question asked, and answered by BlackboxMyCar and if I recall the typical lifespan is 3-5 years depending on application.

Here are the links to my testing of the battery packs;

Here is my YouTube Review of the PC8;

Oh wow... 12 months? I've got a Cellink Neo, Neo Expansion, and a Blackvue B-124 (predecessor to the B-124X) that I've been running since they came out 5 years ago and they've still been going strong. I've also got a BBMC BI-750 and its expansion in my car that I've been running for a year and they've been great too. I'm not sure I've heard of any reports of them dying after a year.

Regarding temperatures, I'm not sure if I've seen issues related to heat. If anything sometimes I have seen issues reported when getting too cold, like our Canadian friends up north may experience in the winter, but not as much with heat.

Regarding temperatures, I'm not sure if I've seen issues related to heat. If anything sometimes I have seen issues reported when getting too cold, like our Canadian friends up north may experience in the winter, but not as much with heat.

This makes total sense to me. ‘Cold’ has always been the primary enemy of batteries. Hot, not so much.

This makes total sense to me. ‘Cold’ has always been the primary enemy of batteries. Hot, not so much.
That's a common misconception - heat is actually more damaging to batteries than cold. The reason many people think otherwise is batteries are less efficient when they're cold so the damage caused by summer heat doesn't show up until temperatures drop, thus giving the impression that it's the cold temps causing the failure.

The reason many people think otherwise is batteries are less efficient when they're cold so the damage caused by summer heat doesn't show up until temperatures drop, thus giving the impression that it's the cold temps causing the failure.
On top of that, car engines are even harder to crank and start when frozen, increasing current draw on an already weak battery, which might have still eeked by if it had been summer and the engine was still warm.

KuoH

That's a common misconception - heat is actually more damaging to batteries than cold. The reason many people think otherwise is batteries are less efficient when they're cold so the damage caused by summer heat doesn't show up until temperatures drop, thus giving the impression that it's the cold temps causing the failure.
No fair, that's what I was going to say;
"Heat damages batteries, cold kills 'em". lol
-Chuck

Back