Extending wire to reach fuse box

ohnoitsb

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR650GW
I just received my Power Magic Pro this week but the ACC and BATT wires are way too short to reach the fuse box. I want to mount the PMP inside the cabin in the driver foot well while the fuse box is located under the hood on the passenger side (Jeep Wrangler). I imagine the PMP can't/shouldn't be mounted under the hood. I brought the harness to a car audio installer and they added 7 feet of wire to it will reach however I have a few questions. Keep in mind I am a total noob when it comes to vehicle wiring.
The wiring coming from the PMP is silver (assuming it's tinned copper but unsure) the wire they added is copper, is this ok? The wire they added is also thicker, will I run into any issues because of that? Finally, should the ground be closer to the PMP or the fuse box?

they added 7 feet of wire
Basically the cam draws about 2.5amp to 3amp so between 0 - 20amps, gauge 12 cable (stranded or solid) is sufficient.

The wire they added is also thicker, will I run into any issues because of that?
Oversize is better than undersize. The connection must be with connector or solder it to avaoid loos contact. Insulate it with heat/cold shrink or wrap with electrical tape.

Finally, should the ground be closer to the PMP or the fuse box?
You can ground anywhere you wish to as long as metal body or the car (any bolt that come in contact with the car body). Better to ground in place that discreet and not obstruction to you.

Hope this help.

Last edited:
Basically the cam draws about 2.5amp to 3amp so between 0 - 20amps, gauge 12 cable (stranded or solid) is sufficient.

Oversize is better than undersize. The connection must be with connector or solder it to avaoid loos contact. Insulate it with heat/cold shrink or wrap with electrical tape.

You can ground anywhere you wish to as long as metal body or the car (any bolt that come in contact with the car body). Better to ground in place that discreet and not obstruction to you.

Hope this help.

Thanks, this info certainly helps.

It is stranded, not sure of the gauge but larger than what came with the PMP so I assume it's capable of handling the draw. It's soldered, heat shrunk and wrapped in tape for good measure.

Its Ok you're worrying too much If the finer wire that is attached to the PMP is ok the heavier wire will certainly be more than adequate. A good sparky would have used the same gauge wire. A rat**** one would just use whats lying around.

Most supplied cabling comes in either a barely adequate size or only one size larger for the length supplied, so to extend it it is best to go at least one size larger than what you've got.

My favorite source of free 2-lead cables is old house lamp cords; those are all adequate in size for most auto accessories, are meant to be flexible, have heavy insulation, and being together makes for easier installation. Double-check the polarity before powering the accessory; it's easy to get them mixed up with this type of cable.

Phil

I just received my Power Magic Pro this week but the ACC and BATT wires are way too short to reach the fuse box. I want to mount the PMP inside the cabin in the driver foot well while the fuse box is located under the hood on the passenger side (Jeep Wrangler).
I guess you know your own vehicle but on most... there are several locations for fuses boxes, are you sure there is nothing inside the cabin? There is a reference to at least in some models of fuses behind the glove compartment. Need to get behind it. http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj36MrZy8bQAhVR5GMKHRstCXwQjRwIBw&url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/interior-light-pass-switch-write-up-pics-276365/&psig=AFQjCNGrO3cQjvbPdSluploc3LcVvRJNdw&ust=1480255407280611

Link goes to a different project but shows the fuses behind the glove compartment. Yours may be different.

Its Ok you're worrying too much If the finer wire that is attached to the PMP is ok the heavier wire will certainly be more than adequate. A good sparky would have used the same gauge wire. A rat**** one would just use whats lying around.

Most supplied cabling comes in either a barely adequate size or only one size larger for the length supplied, so to extend it it is best to go at least one size larger than what you've got.

My favorite source of free 2-lead cables is old house lamp cords; those are all adequate in size for most auto accessories, are meant to be flexible, have heavy insulation, and being together makes for easier installation. Double-check the polarity before powering the accessory; it's easy to get them mixed up with this type of cable.

Phil

This was the smallest gauge they had. Good to know it doesn't really make a difference. Thanks.

I guess you know your own vehicle but on most... there are several locations for fuses boxes, are you sure there is nothing inside the cabin? There is a reference to at least in some models of fuses behind the glove compartment. Need to get behind it. http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj36MrZy8bQAhVR5GMKHRstCXwQjRwIBw&url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/interior-light-pass-switch-write-up-pics-276365/&psig=AFQjCNGrO3cQjvbPdSluploc3LcVvRJNdw&ust=1480255407280611

Link goes to a different project but shows the fuses behind the glove compartment. Yours may be different.

Mine is just under the hood, that link is for a TJ.

Back