External/internal Cam

alcyonmz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I am looking for a camera system to put in a Semi-truck, power isn't an issue due my truck having an external power generator (APU) with 1200w inverter. Would like to find a internal mounted dvr recorder and up to 4 cameras. 1 for the inside and 1 for each side of the tractor mirrors to see blind sides. Need Nightvision capability, no exception.

The blackvue650GW-2Ch is what I was looking at but the 2nd cam isn't design for external use. Maybe something really close be nice.
-http://thedashcamstore.com/blackvue-1080p-dual-lens-wifi-dashcam-dr650gw-2ch/

Thanks

For somthing like that there is only dedicated cctv cameras, either the low res analog ones, or higher res IP cameras but i dont think any of them would do stellar as they normally steam ( ip cameras ) at a fairly low bitrate.
Most dashcams are more geared to capture the fast movments around our car / truck / motorcycles and as a result of that they have higher bitrates than cctv cameras, and the dashcams that do have IR light to aid in dark situations is just sales gimmik and mostly have poor video footage.

You will neeed to have a good ammount of IR ermitters around the lens to be able to illuminate the whole way down your rig, and then the bullet camera do get fairly big, somthing like 2 - 2.5 ince in diameter and 4 - 5 inch long.

Allso most cctv cameras is meant to be mounted on a wall, so you will need some form of bracket to me able to mount if off the mirror "tree" on the side of your rig.
You could maybe allso mount if off the side of the cab / sleeper up high, but that will take some driling in the rig.

Allso remember cameras mounted on the outside ( of a house or semi / car ) will accumulate a lot of dirt, so you will need to clean the lens glass "often"

psqppo1377134245103.jpg

DS-2CD3232-I5-Hikvision-IP-Camera-EXIR-50m-Full-HD-1080P-3MP-Network-Bullet-Camera-IP66.jpg

My NVR run off a 5 amp 12 V adapter, so the recorder dont suck down a whole lot of power, so you should be able to run one of those off a 24 / 12 V adapter or just off the APU / inverter you allready have.
My NVR recorder have both HDMI and VGA output for screen.

My NVR recorder is about 30 x 30 CM and can take up to a 2 TB harddrive inside it, it do have active cooling witch might be a problem if you sleep in the rig.
Mine have build in switch so there is 1 port for each of the cameras.

Mine is connected to my home network, so i can access the cameras on my computer allso, and via the wifi on my router i can lie in my bed and view / control all cameras on my 7" tablet.
My NVR came with a wiered mouse, i have ditched this in favor of a wireless mouse, so i can sit in my chair and control all while watching my 42" tv that is connected to the NVR via HDMI cable.

I assume you could connect a wifi hotspot/ extender to the NVR so you can sit at a truckstop and keep a eye on what is going on in and around your rig on your smartphone or a cheap tablet like i use. ( even control a PTZ camera on top of the rig if need be )
201312899686686.jpg

There is allso smaller ones but those only have 1 network port so you will need a seperate switch to funnel the 2-3-4 feeds into the recorder. I allso think these small ones rely on a external harddrive to dump the footage on.
super_mini_nvr_4ch_8ch_ip_camera.jpg

There is most likely allso dedicated NVR ( network recorders ) for bus / truck use, but i fear those might carry a inflated prize compated to regular home use ones.
You will need 1080P cameras for optimal footage, and a recorder that will be able to handle those resolutions at 25 / 30 frames per second on each channel for smoothe footage.

I think you beeing stateside you might want to see if there is anything dedicated for use in RV`s / mobile homes that have a more areodynamic shape, and maybe talk to some one who deal in CCTV gear to see what they can come up with for your needs.

Hope this have given you a little knowlege and ideas to further your search, if you need anything else feel free to shoot me a personal MSG in here.

Last edited:
Back