External mic(s) not working

Nuuk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Git Pro 2
I came back home the other day and found a lot of wind noise on my recordings. It turned out that the external mic was not recording so the mic in the camera was. I tried my other external mic, but that is doing the same thing, ie not being recognised by the Git 2 so the internal mic is active instead. Is there a fix for this? Surely both external mics can't have gone wrong at the same time

What mics did you use, and how did you connect them to the cam?

The packaging says that they are Gitup brand , model GP-MCO-001. I just plug them in.

Obviously nobody (including me) had an idea.
Could you fix it in the meantime?

No, neither of the Gitup mics will work. But I have another mic here with a USB plug that does work. I am not sure of the make or model number of that one. I wonder if something in the updated firmware has changed to affect the mic input. I couod do with some input from Gitup.

I have found one mic that will work but not all the time.

Yesterday I went out and the mic recorded fine until the the first clip ended and the new one began. When that happened the mic disconnected and the internal mic kicked in. This was without me removing the external mic plug, or it coming lose.

So come on Gitup - this is clearly a software issue. How about some suggestions as to how to fix it please?

Really hard to guess. If it would have been only one mic, then I would have guessed it was a cable break. But two mics with similar strange behaviour at the same time, ermm...

I just went back from the latest firmware to V1.74 and the mics work again. I don't know if I dare hope that this will be the last of my problems.

After the sound went again, I purchased a new Git 2 camera. Hopefully that has solved the issue.

One of my Gitup mics works fine, the other has a bad connection to the plug and only intermittent sound. Can anybody tell me what the correct wiring is for soldering up a new Mini USB plug please?

Should be the same as for a Gopro Hero 4, plenty of diagrams about for that.

The problem may be the resistors that tell the camera that it is a mono/stereo mic. Maybe they are not accurate enough.

Should be the same as for a Gopro Hero 4, plenty of diagrams about for that.

The problem may be the resistors that tell the camera that it is a mono/stereo mic. Maybe they are not accurate enough.

Thanks Nigel. Presumably those resistors are SM type and inside the plug?

It looks like the wiring is pins 3 and 4

Normally inside the plug, some are SM but it's not a requirement. If your making your own cable then you can use big ones.

When you want to make a stereo cable by yourself, then use a 330kΩ Resistor. It depends on your soldering skills if you choose a SMD type resistor or a standard one. It makes no difference for the camera. I can't tell if it works well with a mono mic.

Here are the pics that you can find on the web about the correct wiring for the stereo cable. No matter what the pictures say, it has to be a 330kΩ Resistor.

hqdefault.jpg

proxy_002.jpg

lc2w9Hi.png

OK, I got the cover off the existing plug and it is a mono mike, ie just two wires to pins 3 and 4. The plug has only five pins so can I assume that there is no resistor involved?

I soldered the wires back to the internals of the original plug and that works OK. I'll make a new body for the plug out of Sugru or similar.

I bought a new mini-USB plug and soldered up my other mic in the same way. It does work but I can hardly hear the audio. I'm not sure what the issue is but at least two of my 3 Gitup mics work OK now.

In case anybody else needs to know, the wiring for a Gitup mono mic into a five pin mini-USB plug is :

White wire to pin 4 and the other to pin 3

In case you are looking for 10 pin mini USB plugs (sometimes they are hard to find), you can get them here for cheap (set of 10 pcs):
http://bit.ly/325shK8

Soldering the stereo wiring together with the resistor is a little tricky, but I did it successfully several times.

Thanks but I repeat, the Gitup mics are mono.

I know, but there are also people who want to achieve reasonable (and interest arousing) quality, and not using cheapest china quality mics. Try to mention a movie that was published during the last say 20 to 30 years with only mono audio. And think about the reason if you don't find one.

I soldered the wires back to the internals of the original plug and that works OK. I'll make a new body for the plug out of Sugru or similar.

I bought a new mini-USB plug and soldered up my other mic in the same way. It does work but I can hardly hear the audio. I'm not sure what the issue is but at least two of my 3 Gitup mics work OK now.

In case anybody else needs to know, the wiring for a Gitup mono mic into a five pin mini-USB plug is :

White wire to pin 4 and the other to pin 3
I know, but there are also people who want to achieve reasonable (and interest arousing) quality, and not using cheapest china quality mics. Try to mention a movie that was published during the last say 20 to 30 years with only mono audio. And think about the reason if you don't find one.

Are you on the right forum? ;) I thought that his was for Dashcams. If I wanted to make a high quality movie, I would use one of my Panasonic M43s and a much better mic. But in this case, all I want to do is record sound while I am riding my scooter. I wouldn't recommend trying to make a high quality movie with a Gitup action cam.

Back