External power and mic

Involute

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. Do any Gitup cameras accept an external microphone and external power at the same time?

2. Is it possible for the camera to turn it self on when external power is applied, or does the switch always have to be pressed?

3. Can the camera record in a loop?

Thanks.

I think the answer is "yes" for all Gitup cameras, although the G3 has an issue with the external microphone - it is mono only and does not turn the internal microphone off.

Reactions: Mtz
an issue with the external microphone - it is mono only
Did nobody complain about the statement about the G3 on their website "External stereo microphone supported "?

Did nobody complain about the statement about the G3 on their website "External stereo microphone supported "?
For most people this is not a problem, but Gitup are aware that some people like stereo and do want the internal microphone turned off when using an external microphone.

The reason it is mono only seems to be that the only Novatek processor that allowed dual video channels did not allow dual audio channels! I think this is sorted on the next generation.

Thanks, drygdryg.

Nigel, with the Git2, does the internal mic switch off when using an external mic, or does it remain on, so you get sound from both?

Thanks, drygdryg.

Nigel, with the Git2, does the internal mic switch off when using an external mic, or does it remain on, so you get sound from both?
Internal mic is off when external is plugged in, external is recorded in stereo so you can use it as 2 audio channels.

Thanks, Nigel. Do you happen to know the input impedance? I intend to use this in an airplane to record audio straight from the intercom and will have to match the output impedance to the input.

Thanks, Nigel. Do you happen to know the input impedance? I intend to use this in an airplane to record audio straight from the intercom and will have to match the output impedance to the input.
No, don't know that, but it will work with almost anything so I guess it is a very high impedance. It is designed for PC type microphones with phantom power, but a line input will also work. Somebody was selling an adaptor cable for connecting to aeroplane intercom.

Thanks for the cable pointer. Prompted me to track down this thread which seems to cover the issue.

Removed the "Stereo" statement, thanks.

I want to reconnect the cable to the mini USB plug from my mono mic, What is the correct wiring please?

I want to reconnect the cable to the mini USB plug from my mono mic, What is the correct wiring please?
Same as a GoPro Hero 4.
You can connect the mono microphone to both left and right channels.
You will need the resistor so that the camera knows that a microphone is connected.

Thanks Nigel. I will have to find a resitor then as there didn't appear to be one in the plug housing that I cut off.

Thanks Nigel. I will have to find a resitor then as there didn't appear to be one in the plug housing that I cut off.
Not quite sure what you are doing, but normally the resistor is in the mini USB plug, if it was a plug intended for a microphone, if it was intended for something else then it will either have a different value resistor or none at all.

The cable coming out of the Mini USB plug had become frayed, so I wanted to cut open the plug, desolder the wires, cut the cable back to where it is good, and resolder the wires.

Back