External rear with loop record and not $hundreds??

daveola

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to find a simple dash cam that has a front and rear camera, but the rear cam has to be external (probably license plate) because I have a convertible. It seems that all the low price cams either have an internal rear or don't record the rear. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum.

Only a few brands / models can give what you ask for, but some do have a waterproof camera for use with their dual channel systems.
Cheapest among those i think will be the viofo A 129 duo.

Personally i dont like external cameras as 1 : there are no viper on the camera - 2 : dirt will build up and so fine detail will be lost with a dirty lens, 3 : i wash my car extremely often and i think the car wash will scratch a lens just like it do the rest of the car.
Convertibles do seem to be problematic for the people that would like dual cameras. 95% of the action i capture are on the front camera ( have cameras on all sides of my car ) really a rear camera are not really needed in my book, it is nice to have sure, but not a must have in my book.

If you do not have people riding in the back seat you could install a remote camera on the back of either seat.

You could get a small camera like a mobius to hang it off the rear view mirror aimed backwards.

You might be able to build or modify a holder similar to these from ebay to mount your choice of camera under a seat headrest.
That approach would provide you a secure place to mount a camera without needing an extra long power cord.
It would also allow you to have only a slightly off center camera location.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232595711924
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113784346971
You can also find a possibly questionable quality rear view mirror camera that comes with a rear camera for inside the car.

As far as I can tell the Viofo A 129 Duo has a rear camera that goes in the rear window, not externally.

I'll have to think about the idea of putting one on the back seat, that would probably work for most cases.

I do want a rear camera, after my wife was rear-ended by a hit-and-run that wouldn't show on a front camera, I'd like to have full coverage.

Yes the default version, but i do think they have a WP camera you can replace the regular camera, just like they have a IR camera if you are a uber / lyft driving kind of guy.

Just looking at viofo and yes it do seem like they have not gotten that far yet, or maybe dont even bother.

SG have their out https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...al-waterproof-camera-for-the-sggcx2pro.39567/

Unsure about what you can get for a blackvue camera or thinkware, but they are also not cheap cameras.

There are also a range of cheap China cameras, but then you are really much better off just getting a front camera and forget about the rear one, cuz those are often bad on the rear camera and not worth talking about on the front facing camera.
Some of those only have SD resolution on the rear camera, and really it is at least 10 years ago since anyone recommended anyone to go there, it is 1080p or bigger now, and even there you have to be careful too what you spend your hard earned money on.

The Dual remote system K2S i have for testing, and have not started selling yet, should also get waterproof cameras.

My thread on the K2S.

Have you considered a motorcycle camera like the Blueskysea DV688 ?
That's not the best quality camera, and has a rather narrow field of view for a car dashcam.

Maybe look at the upcoming Viofo motorcycle camera which is rather better quality and properly waterproof.

There are a few other motorcycle cameras about too, but they tend to be rather expensive for what you get.

Yes seem like i once again got ahead of myself with the viofo WP camera, damn selective brain just pick and choose what it want to store, and sadly not in labeled drawers.
I would just bypass the issue and get a front camera, it will 100 % log what you do with your car, and people hitting you from behind will often claim you did something with your car and thats why they hit you, but that is easy to refute with your front camera that did not see the accident itself.

Thats the best thing about a dashcamera it 100% and no matter the lighting conditions record what i do, and if i do nothing wrong, then surely i can not be blamed for what ever happen around my car.
Of course if you experience a hit and run from behind, then a rear camera give you 2 X the chance of getting a plate capture,,,,,,, or at least it do in a place like Denmark where you must have a plate front and rear on your car.

Back