External Time Delay Relay

Heresy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been reading through posts here for awhile and been debating getting a dash cam. The other day, I was in an accident that could have been catastrophic, and the investment in a camera for accident recording makes sense.

I already have a good idea of what I want. I want something to permanently mount in my ’06 Miata that is good enough to capture night footage with reasonable clarity and is on whenever I am on the road without me needing to power it on or off. It is going to be a permanent install and hardwired. I pretty much think I am going with either a Mobius or a SG9665GM, ~$200 is my budget.

The question I have is the power circuit to control the camera. I want to have a camera that starts recording as soon as I turn the car into accessory position but will give me a 30 minute record time after I remove the key. This is because I realize that usually after an accident or incident, I will probably have the car off but still want to record the events that transpire afterwards. I have seen 12V relays and circuitboards that could do this but has anyone else messed with something like this personally?

you can use a standard battery discharge prevention device. they have programmable timers on them for power off.

Back