extra long usb lead seller recommendation

DashcamDPR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A119 Pro, Mio Mivue 508 for the work van
I recently bought a 4m USB lead off eBay, cheap, advertised as data AND power, to run off my Viofo dual USB charge plug to power my rear cam alongside my front cam, however, it doesn't power no matter which slot I use, the other cable powers my front one absolutely fine so it's not viofos dual charger that's the issue

do some cables not actually carry power? Does anyone know of a reputable seller (ebay or amazon) selling a 4m (or even 5m) mini-usb cable that can be used for power?

I remember seeing it on Amazon.com.

Thanks, Amazon Uk doesn't have them but Viofo's site does, I can change the currency to GBP but it looks like they don't ship to the UK :(

But another thought just occurred to me.
My rear cam is a Mio 508, and it's a battery cam, I wonder if that's why it wont work, since it might need more power than what Viofo's charger puts out...?

But another thought just occurred to me.
My rear cam is a Mio 508, and it's a battery cam, I wonder if that's why it wont work, since it might need more power than what Viofo's charger puts out...?

Doubt it, it's a 3A charger, even if it's 2A+1A, should be enough.

do some cables not actually carry power? Does anyone know of a reputable seller (ebay or amazon) selling a 4m (or even 5m) mini-usb cable that can be used for power?
Some of the cheap cables use really thin conductors which results in too much voltage loss when it is supplying 100s of mA, if the camera is only receiving 4 volts instead of 5 then it wont work.

Look for USB extension cables with specifications that include an AWG value of 23 or less for the power conductors, these have thick power conductors and will carry plenty of power.

Look for USB extension cables with specifications that include an AWG value of 23 or less for the power conductors, these have thick power conductors and will carry plenty of power.

No worries, I had heard 24 would be fine, I was meant to go out and look what was printed on my cable today, but my bed's comfy

No worries, I had heard 24 would be fine, I was meant to go out and look what was printed on my cable today, but my bed's comfy
Depends on how long the cable is, for 4m 24 is probably OK, but it also depends on how much power the camera takes on average and in bursts, so every camera will be different - hard to say if 24 is always OK or not, 27 definitely isn't.

Viofo cameras ship with 22 AWG cables. Many people have reported problems such as screen flickering or pulsating audio noises when attempting to use the slightly thinner 24 AWG cables. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to find 22 AWG aftermarket cables other than OEM.

I think the one that came from ebay was 28awg and the seller has agreed to let me return it as the description didn't say anything regarding values, and at the time I didn't know enough to even ask!

update for anyone who cares... I initiated a return at the seller's instruction and he refunded me but gave me no means to send back the cable, very nice of him!

Maybe it's value to him is less than the cost of postage!

Do you have a use for a low quality 4 meter USB data cable that can't carry power?

Maybe it's value to him is less than the cost of postage!

Do you have a use for a low quality 4 meter USB data cable that can't carry power?

officially no, but it will slow-charge my ps3 joypad while I'm lying in bed watching youtube, the original cable doesn't reach me :p

Back