Extracting GPX info from Dashcam video using OCR

VictorB

App Developer
Reaction score
Country
Malta
The GPX file produced by my NuviCam is invariably not synchronized with the video. This is a pain. Especially when used with the excellent player Registrator Viewer by Vadim Andreevich Kozlov (http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html) which allows you to click on the map and the video automatically jumps to that position. With my NuviCam dashcam videos, the position is almost always completely out.

I have solved this problem by writing a program (GPX Extractor) to read the GPS information from the video file itself (using OCR) to extract a new GPX file. The extracted GPX file will be perfectly synchronized with the video. If you want to give it a try you may download a trial version of GPX Extractor from http://bigbugisoftware.jigsy.com/gpx-extractor. This program may also be used to extract GPX files from other devices by changing some settings. Enjoy!

you are extracting the OSD information rather than the actual GPS data in the file, is that correct?

@VictorB can you please provide some guidance on extracting the GPS data from an A119 video file.
Particularly, after selecting the data area, how do we handle the fixed TEXT (Viofo A119 RODEO) in the selection area.

2077soz.jpg

RodeoGeorge

you are extracting the OSD information rather than the actual GPS data in the file, is that correct?

Yes, that is right. It does Optical Character Recognition (OCR) on the text in the video frame itself.

@VictorB can you please provide some guidance on extracting the GPS data from an A119 video file.
Particularly, after selecting the data area, how do we handle the fixed TEXT (Viofo A119 RODEO) in the selection area.

RodeoGeorge

In your case you need to set the delimeter string to the following: "p t. n. 119 y/m/d h:i:s". Notice that all non-numeric letters are simply ignored. If you have numbers in the text (in your case 119), then you need to include the digits in the delimeter string as shown in my example. You would also need to define the character set images as explained in the help file. To debug this process, it is best to output raw text from the program first to see what is being recognized and what is not. For example, it could be that the letter 'O' in your text may be detected as the number zero. If that is the case then you would need to change your delimeter string to "p n. t. 0 0 119 0 0 y/m/d h:i:s". Let me know how it works out for you.

@VictorB I played around with various setting for a few hours, but did not find a combination of settings that would process without an error.

Here is a link to a short video that I'm working with. If you could look at this video and determine the settings that work, all the A119 users could use those settings and extract the GPS data.

http://tinypic.com/m/jfkm0p/3

RodeoGeorge

@VictorB I played around with various setting for a few hours, but did not find a combination of settings that would process without an error.

Here is a link to a short video that I'm working with. If you could look at this video and determine the settings that work, all the A119 users could use those settings and extract the GPS data.

http://tinypic.com/m/jfkm0p/3

RodeoGeorge

Can you upload somewhere a full-resolution video that I can use? The one in the above link is low-resolution and has been re-encoded. Ideally, you should make available the raw video that you get from your dashcam. I'll gladly create the settings for you.

@VictorB I PM'd you links to raw videos on DropBox.

I'm not well versed on DropBox, so hope they work.

RodeoGeorge

With the GPX Settings that @VictorB provided me, I was able to extract the GPS data from the A119 Videos.
The A119 Videos now display all information (Speed, Location, etc.) in Registrator Viewer.

If you are interested in obtaining the settings, PM me your email address, and I'll add you to my Share Folder on DropBox.

RodeoGeorge

With the GPX Settings that @VictorB provided me, I was able to extract the GPS data from the A119 Videos.
The A119 Videos now display all information (Speed, Location, etc.) in Registrator Viewer.

If you are interested in obtaining the settings, PM me your email address, and I'll add you to my Share Folder on DropBox.

RodeoGeorge

I am glad that it worked for you. I have made the settings for the A119 available at http://bigbugisoftware.jigsy.com/. I intend to update the settings list to support other dashcams. If you wish one for your model, just drop me an email with a link to a sample video and I'll do my best to send you a settings file within a few days. Instructions how to build a settings file are also included within the GPX Extractor's help.

I intend to update the settings list to support other dashcams. If you wish one for your model, just drop me an email with a link to a sample video and I'll do my best to send you a settings file within a few days. Instructions how to build a settings file are also included within the GPX Extractor's help.

not too many cameras have the GPS data in the OSD, even many that do also have the same data in a flat text file which would probably be easier to import, others have the data embedded in the video file, nice work all the same

not too many cameras have the GPS data in the OSD, even many that do also have the same data in a flat text file which would probably be easier to import, others have the data embedded in the video file, nice work all the same

Fair comment. However from experience, the GPS data is not always accurately synchronized with the video and a separate text file sometimes could be deleted by mistake or not saved at all. I found that the GPS information overlayed on the video (when of course available) is more accurate - hence the program.

@VictorB I am moving from the A119 to Thinkware F50s and F770s.

When they arrive, I might be contacting you for help with the GPX settings for those Dashcams.

Thanks for your help in setting up the A119.

RodeoGeorge

Do you know the settings for the Thinkware 750? I'd love to give this a try.

@cacherjoe I just looked at some video from my F50, and it does not have the GPS and Speed information in the video.
Therefore the GPX Extractor program will not work with the F50.

The Thinkware Dashcam Viewer ( a free download ) does show the Map, Speed, etc.

RodeoGeorge

Do you know the settings for the Thinkware 750? I'd love to give this a try.

PM a link to a sample video (needs to be the raw video as it comes out of your dashcam) and I'll send you a settings file for you to try out. The video needs to include GPS info displayed on the video.

What's the suitable delimeter string for DOD LS580W?
Such as
2016/09/28 17:00:28 DOD LS580W JETSUN 10KM/H N39'59'33.81'' E116'26'2.44''
2016_0928_1700403_LS580W.jpg

What's the suitable delimeter string for DOD LS580W?
Such as
2016/09/28 17:00:28 DOD LS580W JETSUN 10KM/H N39'59'33.81'' E116'26'2.44''

The delimiter string to use with the above device is "y/m/d h:i:s 580 p t u v. n o q." Note that you need to use version 1.1.0.0 of the program for this to work. You can download a settings file for the DOD LS580W from http://bigbugisoftware.jigsy.com/files/others/DOD-LS580W.zip.

The method of using OCR to extract the GPS data is very innovative! :)

An alternate method @WA3PNT is to use the GPX export feature of Dashcam Viewer.

Back