Extreme overheating problem/Melted Cam

The new ones with the heatsink handle heat much better than the old ones. I haven't encountered any complaints regarding heat since the update.

I'm sure the 0806 will further improve that.

Kelvin

My 803 from the picture is new model, I buy it in August 2014 and have heatsink... I wait to get new 806 for test and I come back with my opinion on this issue.

My 803 from the picture is new model, I buy it in August 2014 and have heatsink... I wait to get new 806 for test and I come back with my opinion on this issue.

806 is very different, has heaps of ventilation and a decent heatsink, you can see the heatsink clearly through the vents there is that many holes in it

sounds like some effort was put into this thing finally.

I think what they've done is looked at all the issues of the 0801 and 0803 versions and addressed most of those in their own version of this product, it's a breakaway from the original version, similar enough to know they're related but different enough to stand out as an individual product, both cards are external now which is one of the other mistakes in the original design that they've improved in this version, larger card support was quoted as an update also, yet to see how the changes have been implemented, not a product I'm looking at but I'm sure there will be enough users with them to provide feedback soon enough, I'm sure there will be room for improvement but they've got a lot of the basic flaws addressed by the looks of it

wow, I just fitted one of these today its my first Dashcam. I know these things heat up a bit but thats scary.

I am concerned now as I have fitted Power magic so I can keep the Cam powered when parked, if parked in the sun my car easily heats to 40C. I might now only have the cam switch on when undercover car park rather than in the open.

I bought the unit last week from Dashcam Australia, it has the new Sturdy Mount but how do I know if it has the new heatsink?

they've had the new heatsink for a few months now, I'd advise against using it while parked though, wrong camera for that

I would strongly advise against running it continuously for extended periods of time or whilst you are out of the car.

ps. Still haven't heard back from FO, which is really poor.

For all you hoping the 806 does not have this problem, I can tell you it does.
I have had an 801 in the front of my car for a year without any issue other than it stopped logging gps data, not that bothered about that though.
I decided to upgrade the front to the latest 806, and move the 801 to the rear. I use the 32gb Samsung supplied with the 801 now in the 806, so I know the card is not an issue.
Yesterday I was driving into the sun and the camera chimed. I looked and it had just rebooted. After doing this a further six or so times, it went off and would not come on at all.
I tried connecting the power direct to the camera, no joy.
When I arrived at my destination, the camera was still very hot to touch. I tried connecting with a standard USB lead to my laptop, same result, dead.
I held the camera in front of the cars vent with aircon on cold for 10 minutes.
Plugged it back in and it started up as normal.
Today, in the morning, started up ok, after about half an hour, again driving into the sun, chimes and shut down again.
Once again, left it to cool down and it works ok.
This is with the masses of extra cooling holes in the 806.

Not happy. My 801 has been through hot summers and never done this.

Problem is definitely heat related, on dull overcast days, or if sun is not direct on windscreen, it will work fine all day.

Problem is definitely heat related, on dull overcast days, or if sun is not direct on windscreen, it will work fine all day.

don't disagree with you, overheating so easily is not typical though and indicative of deeper problems

There is obviously something more serious wrong with it now, today wouldn't even start up from cold, but just started car again mid day and it came straight on.
I wonder if it's related to charging the battery, when it's removed from the mount, even when it has run for hours, it will only come on for a few seconds before powering off again. You wouldn't be able to take a photo after an accident for example as it won't stay on long enough.

Here is an action cam which was under summer sun all day:

Soon will be available a car mount so it can be used also as a dashcam. This is the first action cam I had which I can say it can be used as dashcam. I hope the mount to not destroy the small size of the camera.

GITUP size comparison.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Here is an action cam which was under summer sun all day:

Soon will be available a car mount so it can be used also as a dashcam. This is the first action cam I had which I can say it can be used as dashcam. I hope the mount to not destroy the small size of the camera.

View attachment 15863

enjoy,
Mtz
No many English speaking people would want a camera in the front of their car with Git1 displayed prominently. :oops:

For non-english speaker like me it is sounds good: Get One (For Action).
Ontopic: still perfect working. I have also an Itronics ITB 250-HD which was working every second in last two years but the camera is very protected against heat.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Mini 0803 12
P Mini 0803 18
Back