Extreme overheating problem/Melted Cam

Syrus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem where the camera has gotten that hot that it has melted the plastic casing.

I was on a recent 6 hour trip in a 23-24 degree day and upon arriving back at home and going to grab the camera out of the mount I noticed that the camera was too hot to grab and the casing was all melted and warped. The camera had been working great apart from it stopping recording sometimes and then emmitting a chime.

I havent used the camera since for fear of it catching on fire and have emailed Foxoffer twice to see what they can do about it, but they havent bother to return the emails.

Any suggestions.

There's probably not much you can do until they reply - @billknow comes on here so maybe he could help if you're not getting a reply.

How old is the camera? Just wondering if it's one of the original ones or the newer ones with the heatsinks?

I do wonder how many issues we're going to start seeing now you guys are headed for your summer!

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem where the camera has gotten that hot that it has melted the plastic casing.
That is the third image like that I've seen.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the chime sound you heard, that normally means it has a poor power connection, maybe the pins in the mount not making contact all the time. If it looses power then the battery should take over but if it looses power while still booting up it sometimes seems to lock up and when locked up it sometimes can get quite hot, presumably the processor is overworking itself.

If you turn it back on I'm guessing it will work fine? If it gets very hot again then turn it off but I think it has just got a bit too hot for the plastic which has a melting point well below what the processor can cope with!

The good news is that it now has more ventilation that it did have so next time will cope with the heat better! Could do with a ventilation hole in the bottom too though. If it is still working OK then you could try to fix the power connection or whatever was causing the chime, depending on if you want to pay the shipping costs needed for a replacement or not.

Rayman did mention the new one should address this - time will tell I guess!

The 0806 already has the ventilation holes!

This isn't a problem with air temperature though as the OP says "23-24 degree day" and the others I've seen where not all that warm. Something inside is creating excessive heat in some very unusual situation. I suspect the processor is creating the heat.

He would get the same info from the manufacturer also, when I showed them the picture they did seem to think they have solved the problem this time, as you say, time will tell

There's probably not much you can do until they reply - @billknow comes on here so maybe he could help if you're not getting a reply.

How old is the camera? Just wondering if it's one of the original ones or the newer ones with the heatsinks?

I do wonder how many issues we're going to start seeing now you guys are headed for your summer!

I have had the camera since mid August. It's always become really hot when I have used it, but I would normally only have it on for a couple of hours at a time.

Summer here I think may end up killing it completely.

That is the third image like that I've seen.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the chime sound you heard, that normally means it has a poor power connection, maybe the pins in the mount not making contact all the time. If it looses power then the battery should take over but if it looses power while still booting up it sometimes seems to lock up and when locked up it sometimes can get quite hot, presumably the processor is overworking itself.

If you turn it back on I'm guessing it will work fine? If it gets very hot again then turn it off but I think it has just got a bit too hot for the plastic which has a melting point well below what the processor can cope with!

The good news is that it now has more ventilation that it did have so next time will cope with the heat better! Could do with a ventilation hole in the bottom too though. If it is still working OK then you could try to fix the power connection or whatever was causing the chime, depending on if you want to pay the shipping costs needed for a replacement or not.

The chime sound is exactly what someone else posted in the another thread. Will record for about 10 secs and then shut down. The way I used to fix it was to format the card as I thought it could have been due to the card being full and not recycling.

I put it back in the car before to see if it still worked. It booted up still and all the heat was escaping out its new vent.

The chime sound is exactly what someone else posted in the another thread. Will record for about 10 secs and then shut down. The way I used to fix it was to format the card as I thought it could have been due to the card being full and not recycling.

I put it back in the car before to see if it still worked. It booted up still and all the heat was escaping out its new vent.
If you can, plug the power cable into the camera instead of the base and see if that sorts the chime sound, if it does then the problem is a poor connection. It should work exactly the same with the power going to the camera.

I wonder if the newer ones have plastic with a higher melting point?

I did the paper shim as soon as I received it (you may be able to see it in the photo), however it only started shutting down of late. I have tried it with it out of the car to see if it would record and also with power plugged directly into the camera as you suggested. None of it prevented it from shutting down, unless I formatted it.

Maybe battery swelling and pushing case apart ?

Do you reckon it is worth opening up and having a look at or will that void my warranty (if any)?

What type/brand of memory card are you using?

Do you reckon it is worth opening up and having a look at or will that void my warranty (if any)?
If you have a warranty worth using then I would use it, the replacement will be one of the newer improved ones, if your not going to use it then I would add an extra hole in the bottom to let convection bring a flow of cool air in. I doubt you will find anything inside but possibly the battery may have swelled up...

Sandisk 32Gb Class 10
Sandisk was the expected answer!

Suggest you try a different brand, eg Samsung, or any decent brand other than Sandisk.

I wonder if it is the card that has caused the heat problem, does it run cooler with a different brand of card?

Maybe some batteries have problems and is not only because of cameras.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Mini 0803 12
P Mini 0803 18
Back