F1 rattling sound

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone noticed their F1 making weird sounds? (sounds like something is rattling inside)

The mount is solid, I'm not sure what could cause this.
IMG_20171123_124211.jpg

It's from the microphone, similar to what I used to hear with my Mini 0805. Probably needs sensitivity adjustment.

Last edited:
So it's not mechanical? I hope they don't turn the gain Dow as it is already pretty low.

Does it happen when you are not moving?
Or only when there are vibrations from the road...

Sound a lot to me like static noise, like maybe the MIC are not soldered well.

I mean its more of a scratching sound and unlike something rattling in between 2 things.

Ok, here are some things I tried:

1. Remove and change power adapter and cable - no effect.
2. Tapping on camera while recording at stop - no effect (can hear taps but nothing else)
3. Night/Day - no difference.
4. Different mount - no difference.

After I listened closer, it almost sounds like some kind of interference (maybe my phone LTE?)
Also, I can drive the same stretch of road and get/not get the noise.

Ok, here are some things I tried:

1. Remove and change power adapter and cable - no effect.
2. Tapping on camera while recording at stop - no effect (can hear taps but nothing else)
3. Night/Day - no difference.
4. Different mount - no difference.

After I listened closer, it almost sounds like some kind of interference (maybe my phone LTE?)
Also, I can drive the same stretch of road and get/not get the noise.
Does "can hear taps but nothing else" mean that you don't hear the noise on any of your tests 1, 2, 3 & 4 ?, or maybe only on 3 and 4?

I suspect the spring in the memory card holder may be able to rattle, maybe try a different card...
Are you using it with wi-fi on or off? On mine I can hear more electronic noise from the voltage regulators when Wi-Fi is on, however the microphone doesn't pick that up, I need to use my ears to hear it.

Does "can hear taps but nothing else" mean that you don't hear the noise on any of your tests 1, 2, 3 & 4 ?, or maybe only on 3 and 4?

I suspect the spring in the memory card holder may be able to rattle, maybe try a different card...
Are you using it with wi-fi on or off? On mine I can hear more electronic noise from the voltage regulators when Wi-Fi is on, however the microphone doesn't pick that up, I need to use my ears to hear it.

Could not reproduce the the noise by any of 1 - 4. I will try today with my phone OFF.

Could not reproduce the the noise by any of 1 - 4. I will try today with my phone OFF.[/QUOTE

Try one of your other cards in it as Nigel said also.

Could not reproduce the the noise by any of 1 - 4. I will try today with my phone OFF.
Sorry, I meant to say that the noise is there even after tests 1 -4. None of the items mentioned stopped the noise.

Sorry, I meant to say that the noise is there even after tests 1 -4. None of the items mentioned stopped the noise.
So you are now saying that even when the car is not moving and the engine is switched off so that there is nothing to cause vibrations, you can still hear the noise?

If so then it must be caused by the electronics. First try a different power source, or run on battery - is the noise still there?

If you put the camera to your ear (the memory card end), can you hear the same noise?

Are there any other cameras or devices near the F1 which may be transmitting wifi / mobile / other radio transmissions? If so, can you still hear the noise with them turned off?

I'll reiterate, it's the mic...

I really hope you are right, that would be a lot cheaper then a card. I was giving a second opinion so he could do these things at once instead of just going back and forth to the computer for other ideas.

If it is the mic then try an external mic and see if the noise is still there...

So today I tried driving with my phone off (airplane mode) and I observed zero problems. So maybe it is some kind of RF interference. Will run some more tests with and without the phone. Here is an interesting one from yesterday. Note as I get closer to the cell tower on the right. I'll see if I can park near by and reproduce this.

One of three things:

1- EMI/RFI- Possible but unlikely as that almost always has a pattern of some kind to it and yours sounds completely random.

2- Something near the cam is moving/squeaking- Quite likely as the sensitive mic will 'hear' that while you may not, and there's a lot of parts in a car which could do this. The 'non-moving car' test can identify the problem but maybe not the source. Electret mic's are very sensitive to high sound frequencies.

3- Bad mic- Quite likely again, and I've heard this exact same sound with radio mic's. The test I use for this is to blow into the mic hole- you should hear low tones but no high-pitched 'crackling'. IIRC you said there's no mic hole so that test may not work here. Maybe you can do it with the case opened up.

If it's only occasional and never worse, I could live with it but that's your decision to make ;)
Phil

Well, I've been driving around for a couple of days and no weird sounds or rattles - go figure! I'll watch it and report if I find the source.

It was probably that tracking devise NSA had on your car for a couple of days :cautious:

Back