F50 hardwiring issue

marcowme

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I've had my mechanic hardwire a Thinkware F50 to my 2014 VW Polo with the Thinkware hardwiring kit.

He din't use fuse taps but hardwired the cables "to the back of the fuses".

The dashcam turns on and off with the car and records regularly but doesn't go into parking mode.

The parking mode option is enabled in the settings.

I'm unable to see where the three wires end up but he showed me with a tester that the fuses he used are igniton switched for the acc cable and constant power for the battery cable.

What should I do?

[UPDATE][SOLVED] Swapping the wires made it, big thanks to everyone.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with your unit. I suspect the unit uses "constant" power to operate and switches to parking mode upon loss of "ignition" power, but again, I have no experience with yours.

Of the four models I've used, instructions for all are near cryptic and I only achieved desired settings through trial and error. You may have all external wiring correct, but menu settings may not be aligned to your desired configuration.

After eliminating menu configurations, I suggest removing the unit and bench testing with 12V power sources to rule out issues with the unit.

After eliminating the unit from the equation, I suggest testing for power provided by the hardwiring kit under running and parked conditions with a multimeter. Thinking I was saving effort, I hardwired into the dome light ground and then discovered the computerized controls used both the power and ground wires to operate the light.

If wiring is an issue, you may likely spend more time troubleshooting and correcting the issue than it would have taken to perform the install yourself, but unfortunately, dashcams are not as simple as accessory fog lamps and many service folks do not allocate sufficient time to understand nuances.

Hope this helps, good luck and keep us posted.

After making changes in the PC Viewer software, be sure to save the changes. Then, format the SD card "in the PC Viewer" software, not the camera.
Also, after the ignition is turned off it may take some time to change to parking mode. I've heard reports of somewhere around 45 seconds.

After making changes in the PC Viewer software, be sure to save the changes. Then, format the SD card "in the PC Viewer" software, not the camera.
Also, after the ignition is turned off it may take some time to change to parking mode. I've heard reports of somewhere around 45 seconds.
I've saved but I haven't formatted. I'll try and report back.

[UPDATE] Nope, it didn't change a thing.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with formatting, check first the actual power at the plug that plugs into the cam, ie that the power for accessory is there, and that it is being "lost" when switching off ignition, if it isn't then it can't enter parking mode as it doesn't sense it is parked, always format the card in the camera for best effect and format regularly, I think you might find the accessory is not on/off like it should be, but on all the time

I think you might find the accessory is not on/off like it should be, but on all the time
I've already said that the camera turns on and off with the car so how can this be the problem?

Thinkware support won't answer me. Ideas anyone?

Sorry I got mixed up there it's certainly worth checking the basics if he used a test LIGHT to show the ACC circuit was going dead when off but in fact does have a very small amount of residual voltage in it, it could be enough to make the camera electronics see power but not enough to light a test light I have come across this many times before, on modern cars there's loads of leakages like this especially on things that go through a timer circuit like interior light for example, the reason interior lights can glow dimly even when off after being switched from normal incan bulbs to LED's my own car does this as the interior light goes through a BCM body control module, a "big brother" device that turns the lights off after a set period(1 hour in my case) in case you forget although it is off to look at with normal/incandescent bulb in the tiny amount of residual current keeps the led panel glowing ever so dimly, just a thought I don't know if the cam is this sensitive ?

The Battery wire isnt connected to a constant 12v source. Its connected to switched source thats why it only turns on/off with the ignition.

The Battery wire isnt connected to a constant 12v source. Its connected to switched source thats why it only turns on/off with the ignition.
Not on mine.
I had one red wire labelled "ACC". That wire goes to a switched 12V source.
There was a yellow wire labelled "BATTERY" That wire is to be connected to a constant 12V source.

Not on mine.
I had one red wire labelled "ACC". That wire goes to a switched 12V source.
There was a yellow wire labelled "BATTERY" That wire is to be connected to a constant 12V source.

I was referring to marcowme's problem. His Battery wire is connected to a switched source, thats why his parking mode isnt working.

As I said, my "BATTERY" wire is connected to a constant 12V source. That's what the instructions say.

Am I doing anythig wrong?

I'd really like this to work, I bought Thinkware for their parking mode.

Last edited:
Like i said both your Battery and ACC wire is connected to a switched source, thats why its turning on/off with ignition with no parking mode (basically the cig plug version)

Have you actually checked that the 12v constant source is really a constant source?

You really do need to check the basics, try swapping the ACC and BATT wires around some thinkware were supplied with the wires marked/coloured incorrectly

I strongly suspect the Ignition & Permanent power are back to front. If they are correct then the permanent power could be going to sleep so the camera can't go into parking mode. It should be about 30 seconds after the igntion going off that parking mode starts (verbal message is given if you have volume on). I have attached the image of the connector plug as it would be good to check the voltages at this end.....

Attachments

• Thinkware Power.JPG
    Thinkware Power.JPG
    467 KB · Views: 10
Back