F50 new SD card formatting

GregT

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I bought a replacement 16gb Lexar SD card and no matter what I do, when I insert it into the F50, it barks "SD CARD NEEDS FORMATTING".

I tried formatting it on both iMac and Windows, in both cases the operation completed normally, can write other files to the SD - works normally, so I'm sure its OK.

Also, perhaps most importantly, ThinkWare's "Dashcam Viewer" opens it, and successfully writes settings files and such to it.

But the cam itself, which is only about a year old, doesn't accept it.

I don't have another SD to try it with and don't really want to invest more $$ in a SD for a unit that I suspect I will end up throwing away.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to DCT :)
Recent changes at Lexar with their SD cards have shown them to now be a problem with many dashcams, and they are generally no longer a good card for this use like they once were :(

You may also have a fake card. I'd suggest running the "sdformatter" freeware on the card, and using the "h2testw" freeware to confirm that the card is what it should be and is not defective. Links: sd formatter h2testw Note the latter downloads in German but opens with an option for English language. Then do an in-cam format and you should be in business.

Phil

Hi Phil, thanks a lot for your reply, much appreciated.

Back