F500 (fake?) operation

cyclehead

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
I have a new "F500" from Amazon. Comparing to the posted camera case pictures I have a "real" F500 camera, but looking at the firmware version "V1.00"; I'm assuming I have a fake.

My quandry - I can't get this one to record over a disc when it's full. There is a function entitled "Recycle on/off" which I assume would cycle the recordings and over-write the disc when it's full. Does that sound like the correct interpretation of the "recycle" function?

Does anyone have experience with this particular fake?

I have been testing with a tiny 512Mb card. Suppose there's any reason to suspect that the "RECYCLE" function would work differently with a larger SD card? Or should I just pop this camera back to Amazon returns?

There would be some type of free allocated space needed for this function to work, I'd definitely try a larger card before you do anything else

That makes sense. I have a 4Gb card running now to see if it behaves. I'll report back.

No luck. I tested with a 4Gb class 6 card. The camera still refuses to overwrite, and shuts off when the card is full. Last time it did this, it also reset itself to Chinese. (Thankfully I remembered where the language menu option was located!#)
Do you see any benefit to getting a class 10 card, and trying yet again?

Never mind. I finally checked EXIF data, and my fake has a "Moogu Technologies" chip; records at max 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080. That, coupled with the busted overwrite function is enough to box it up and send it packing back to Amazon. I'll be shopping for a real F500LHD, or something similar. Thanks for the help!

Back