F500LHD video - fake camera or not?

ursamajor

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A129+, LS650W, GoClever DVR Extreme Gold
Hi all! I asked to a chinese seller to send me a videoclip taken with the camera that I wish to buy. He sells (he says) an original Ambarella FH500L at about 60$. The firmware is (he says) v7.3 T2L-HH. Analyzing the video, it's a MOV with about 10 Mbits/s bitrate. What do you think, it's a good camera? The font of the watermark is somewhat similar to the original, but is more cramped... And I don't understand why it's a logo (magiceye) on the video.

Link for DOWNLOAD.

ursamajor said:
Hi all! I asked to a chinese seller to send me a videoclip taken with the camera that I wish to buy. He sells (he says) an original Ambarella FH500L at about 60$. The firmware is (he says) v7.3 T2L-HH. Analyzing the video, it's a MOV with about 10 Mbits/s bitrate. What do you think, it's a good camera? The font of the watermark is somewhat similar to the original, but is more cramped... And I don't understand why it's a logo (magiceye) on the video.

Link for DOWNLOAD.

I'm not sure what qualifies as fake in a generic camera, it does appear to come from an Ambarella powered camera, by the result I'd say it has a 4 glass lens, can't speak for what the quality might be like or why it has that logo on the top right

looks very much like the footage is in the electronic market here in Shenzhen, if not it's another setup very similar, most of the stuff sold in these markets are from factories that cater predominantly to the local market where the standards are not quite as high as a regular export market product

ursamajor said:
Fake or counterfeit is tha same thing, IMHO. No need for the definition, I think.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfeit

what I mean is it's a public model, the parts are made by a manufacturer and the factory just buys the bits and assembles it, they generally know very little about the product

Last edited by a moderator:
jokiin said:
...they generally know very little about the product

I don't agree. They know, because they write the specifications on theirs auctions/sales. On Aliexpress you'll find auctions/sales where they claims that the chipset is Ambarella, but on the feedbacks you'll find that they sell fakes with Novatek... It's just an example.

ursamajor said:
jokiin said:
...they generally know very little about the product

I don't agree. They know, because they write the specifications on theirs auctions/sales. On Aliexpress you'll find auctions/sales where they claims that the chipset is Ambarella, but on the feedbacks you'll find that they sell fakes with Novatek... It's just an example.

I mean the factory that assembles the camera often knows very little about the product and offer very little in the way of support, you're referring to sellers giving something different to what they advertise, the problem is not real or fake, the problem is fraud

Unfortunately there are dodgy sellers around that take advantage of people

My friend, not only the sellers commits fraud, but the manufacturers too. Otherwise, you wouldn't find 'Novatek in GS1000 shells...

ursamajor said:
My friend, not only the sellers commits fraud, but the manufacturers too. Otherwise, you wouldn't find 'Novatek in GS1000 shells...

GS1000 chassis is available for multiple chipset brands, producing one with a Novatek solution is not fraud, stating its Ambarella and providing Novatek sure is though, this is predominantly a seller issue trying to get away with selling product that doesn't match the description, happens on Aliexpress too often I think, buyer protection there is a joke and there are sellers that know that

Back