F750 blown component inside

mir_comorri

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi, everybody!
I got a serious problem with my cam,
suddently it shut down and every time I plug it to the power connector it turns on, but in few seconds it turns off again , dead.
I took it apart and find a blown component on the main PCB.
If you take a look to the pic, it's the tiny burned thing between the power plug and the two capacitors.
Is anybody out there who has a picture of this area of PCB with a sufficent resolution to read the component code, or at least somebody who knows it already?
Or an electronic expert who knows which kind of component I should expect to find in this point?
Thank you in advance!
IMG_20200614_091144.jpg

I'm afraid the camera has Died. I have come across this a few times over the years. I actually think it's a fault on the other half of the PCB as one day i thought i would be helpful for a customer as i had a spare PCB i had acquired that had an intact component on it but i only had that half of the PCB. So i joined that to the back half of the customers PCB and as soon as i powered on the camera the same component burnt out again!

Oh, sh**!!
Well, I usually don't give up easily!
Even if my electronics knowledge is quite low, I'll try to fix it, It must reach the status of "formless mass" to be declared "dead".
Have you an even far idea of what this component is?
A zener diode , a capacitor or just a varistor (even if it's too tiny for it) or....
Throw away all this because a 0.5x0.5mm piece of silicium & plastic worthing 0.0000 something € or £ is hard to digest.
best regards ,
Mirco.

I think it's a resistor but i'm not 100% on that sorry.

Well, after several attempts with different values of resistor , one diode and a cap, I'm close to to declaremy glorious F750 "food for vultures".

Thnx to you all, see you on next thread.

Hello fellow F750 owners, I have just ran into this same problem 6 years into ownership.
Looks like this model can only handle 5-6 aussie summers before it's cooked.

Attachments

• 20210719_121951.jpg
    20210719_121951.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 12
Hello fellow F750 owners, I have just ran into this same problem 6 years into ownership.
Looks like this model can only handle 5-6 aussie summers before it's cooked.
I think the Aussie summer has cooked both of my F750 on the same day.

Parking mode out in the sun and both F750’s in the vehicle have died.
(No more 4 sides of vehicle recording for me)

Thinkware F750 blown component fix - Hi All I'm new here, i may have figured out the failure point of these dash cams, my F750 died a few weeks ago, and i have been determined to repair it! I had exactly the same component blow behind the power plug, i think this is either a fuse or a 0 ohm resistor that blows when the fault occurs. If you check for continuity on both side of the blown component, one side will show a short to ground, it shouldn't. The fault is on the main processing board, its a tiny 0201 or smaller capacity that is short to ground. The blown component on power board connects via the board connector at the top of the PCB and is via the bottom right most pin (blue arrow) - this will also read shot to ground when tested. The faulty capacitor is just below this connector, and will read dead short across it (circled in blue) - To fix, simply remove this capacitor (it's a ground isolator component, so not critical for camera operation) and bridge the blow component on the power board to restore the camera to full working condition - i may look a fitting a fuse instead, or another 0ohm resistor. I hope this helps some of you out - so don't give up on these cameras yet! markup.JPG

Thinkware F750 blown component fix - Hi All I'm new here, i may have figured out the failure point of these dash cams, my F750 died a few weeks ago, and i have been determined to repair it! I had exactly the same component blow behind the power plug, i think this is either a fuse or a 0 ohm resistor that blows when the fault occurs. If you check for continuity on both side of the blown component, one side will show a short to ground, it shouldn't. The fault is on the main processing board, it’s a tiny 0201 or smaller capacity that is short to ground. The blown component on power board connects via the board connector at the top of the PCB and is via the bottom right most pin (blue arrow) - this will also read shot to ground when tested. The faulty capacitor is just below this connector, and will read dead short across it (circled in blue) - To fix, simply remove this capacitor (it's a ground isolator component, so not critical for camera operation) and bridge the blow component on the power board to restore the camera to full working condition - i may look a fitting a fuse instead, or another 0ohm resistor. I hope this helps some of you out - so don't give up on these cameras yet! View attachment 65724
As a side note - I also replaced the two super caps and the backup battery prior to this as a precaution. It’s been running a good 3hrs with no issues.

Good work! I've never got that involved. I remember once removing the board with the burnt 'Resistor' and thinking i was clever i swapped that as i had another spare board. I powered it up without the case and that resistor just went up in smoke again! It was clearly something on the other PCB at fault that was blowing that component!

I notice your Local to me, if i come across any more in the future i will send them your way!!!!

Cheers
Steve

Back