F750, F770 or IROAD v9?

Raphster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right I was about to get the F750 when I found out about the upcoming F770 and the already available IROAD v9.

I just wanted some help deciding on which to get, I think they all will do what I want but I cant decide which is the best to get. Head says wait for the F77o, but it might not be out until May 2016. So I dont feel comfotable buying the f750 knowing an new all singing and dancing model is around the corner - with night mode and timelapse for parking mode.

Then there is the IROAD v9, I cant really tell if it better or worse then the Thinkware versions. But it can be found for quite a good price and it available now.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Welcome to forum !

F750 ( as most others Thinkware dashcams ) are very well built, however their all do have their own pros and cons. Dirving within city speed limits ( 50 km/h ) F750 and Iroad v9 ( front cam ) will do the job, but on higher speeds it is almost impossible to read numberplates due to low bit-rate. Iroad v9 have positive feedback from Korean forums, but again - low bit-rate. However for the price you pay and all extra bells and whistles you get with it, I guess it's fairly prices. If you are not in a hurry, then it is worth to wait F770 to see if they fixed earlier model bugs. Biggest issue with most Korean dashcams, they do put inside too many useless "bells and whistles" which eating up a lot of CPU / RAM etc, hence need to sacrifice on video quality, mostly lowering bit-rate.

Iroad v9 have positive feedback from Korean forums, but again - low bit-rate..

I think some of that comes down to expectations, 720p is still the most common format in Korea so anything 1080p is pretty well received, even the low bitrate stuff

I just had a look at the IROAD V9. I'm a bit surprised that I didn't come across it before. It looks to be similar to the F750 but with a bit more user configurability which I like. For example it is possible to turn the event buzzer off, something that we can't do on the F750. The main things I noticed are:
V9 has an external GPS sensor. I'm not sure if this is an option to replace an internal sensor (but there is no mention of it in the user manual) or it is the only way that it receives GPS. However being able to position the GPS sensor away from the camera will be useful in some cars (e.g. metallic windscreens which block reception). However if the car has no such problem then having to connect an external unit is a negative feature.
V9 parking mode seems to be enabled by lack of movement, when it switches to a low frame rate. I think it also switches to parking mode according to the power wiring like the F750 but that's not 100% clear. It claims to be 2.3W vs the F750 3.5W but since we don't know the consumption of either in parking mode it is difficult to say how long it will last. I don't think the continuous low frame rate recording can be turned off so I suspect that the V9 won't last as long as the F750 for a given car. Its not clear if it will turn off after a set time like the F750 or relies only on battery voltage.
V9 does not have lane departure sensing, impact sensing or speed camera warning features like the F750 does. Personally I don't use the first two because my car already has these features but I do quite like the speed camera warning feature of the F750 and I'd miss it if I got the V9 instead.
It is a shame that I can't find the dimensions of the V9. The F750 is a bit bigger than I'd like for my car and I'm interested if the V9 would fit better. But I think the F750 mount is better (even with the white/grey mounting pad!) and makes it look better than the cheaper-looking plastic mount of the V9. Also I wonder if that mount makes the unit stick out from the windscreen more than the F750 does.

In conclusion I'd say that the V9 is a comparable competitor to the F750 and may appeal to some people as an alternative where the differences suit them. I have not had my F750 long but I guess now that I have seen some of the better features of the V9 I'll be interested to know if the F770 has some of them too...

I like how the F750/F770 gets in close and hugs the glass compared to the clear plastic mount of the v9.

Anyone know the bits rates for v9 vs F750?

*edit* - found bit rates elsewhere, click links to see.

IROAD v9 Overall bit-rate:
Front: 9.5Mbps
Rear: 7.8Mbps

Thinkware F750:
Front 10Mbps
Rear 8Mbps

Wonder if the F770 will improve upon the F750 or be the same?

Last edited:
if they are still using Ambarella it will still be limited bitrate, they can't reliably do higher bitrates in dual channel mode even though the same chipset can support 50mbit in single channel model, it' s a hardware limitation

They waste a lot of Ambarella potential to useless bells and whistles. I remember earlier ( 2y. ago ) tests I did on A7LA70 1080p + 1080p simple dashcam system without any "bells and whistles" was able to have stable performance at max 12Mbps. Tests with 15 and 18Mbps failed.

As I'm new to dashcams I can't really comment on the bitrate. I'll admit that I have had trouble reading registration plates in my F750 videos. Of course the dashcam is there as 'insurance' and I haven't really needed it yet. I'd imagine that mostly its main use is to backup your claim as to what actually happened once insurance details have been exchanged and then the other party tries to get out of it. Where the other party just leaves 'hit and run' style then clearly not going to be able to identify the registration will be a problem. If the F770 does this better then I might upgrade but at the moment I feel that the F750 is the best dual cam solution for me.

I am using Thinkware-F750 for almost 2years which I bought from overseas online store where the model was launch before US did... It's a great cam, haven't had any issue with it! But I looking forward for new F770...hope it will launch soon! cheers

Every now and then I google search for 770 news, and have also contacted Thinkware a few times, but so far no more new news :(

Singapore will be first to launch the new F770. Guess I will purchase from the same merchant I bought the F750 from previously maybe can get discounted price....haha

Maybe, maybe not. I have already ordered mine (F770 full kit) :D

There's not much info available as far as I can see. Are there any compelling reasons to upgrade from the F750?

There's not much info available as far as I can see. Are there any compelling reasons to upgrade from the F750?
I dont think so. I'm only getting the F770 as I didn't have a F750 to start with. Unless the time lapse and night vision is important to you. Limited info on what else they have improved on at this stage.

Thanks. I look forward to reading your review of it :)

my f770 is on the way , will get you guys some pictures within the next couple of days . hopefully it turns out to be good ! =)

Back