F750 modification - opinions needed

evo-mouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone

I'm new here and this is my first post and as you'll find out maybe an ambitious one. I have an idea based on necessity like all good inventions but this one isnt a total reinvention. Basically I'm suprised by the lack of really discreet cameras on the market and why they all seem to have the actual camera part integrated with all the circuitry so that you end up with a big black box stuck to the middle of your screen. Also the better the camera the bigger the box. Ive searched and searched for a camera that has a hidden black box that you can tuck away in your glove box and just have the camera module part stuck to the screen as discreet, tiny and as hidden as possible. Not only would this make for a much tidier windscreen it would also be less of a target for thieves and in fact they might not even notice it at all.

The thing is I'm not an electronics or coding whiz, but I'm quite handy with all things mechanical. With that in mind, a total build from the ground up is out of the question but a modification project is right up my alley.

So heres my plan, take one F750, open it up, unplug the camera, 3D print a nice new small housing and mount for the camera, extend the cable so its long enough to put the rest of the black box and circuitry in my glove box.

What do you think? I'm quite handy with a soldering iron so thats not an issue, but heres a list of things I thought may be an issue and maybe why no one already makes them this way.

1. the long cable from camera to black box would weaken the signal so produce a poor quality image - but hen what about the rear view camera, that has a long cable?
2. the GPS might not work too well in the glove box. - could possible extend this too if I can work out what part that is.
3. the G sensor might not be as effective in the Glove box - but then again if the car gets bumped the glove box will move too right?

So thats it, what do you all think? Any advice, thoughts, questions ideas that I need to consider would be much appreciated.

all the best

Evo-Mouse

save you chopping up your camera, extending the lens won't work, anything further than about 8 inches and the signal will start breaking up, the rear channel uses a send/receive chipset to transmit the signal in a digital format, front doesn't have this as it's not needed in the standard design

remote lens cameras do exist already

wow that was a quick response, thanks very much.

Could you tell me where these remote lens cameras are as I havent found any or at least not with the same functions and camera quality as the thinkware f750 and higher. I still want parking mode, 2ch night vision etc.

Also is there such a thing as a signal booster I could attach inline on the front camera link maybe?

Also is there such a thing as a signal booster I could attach inline on the front camera link maybe?

no

Could you tell me where these remote lens cameras are as I havent found any or at least not with the same functions and camera quality as the thinkware f750 and higher. I still want parking mode, 2ch night vision etc.

there are a few single channel versions, a couple of dual channel versions but to date the dual channel models were not particularly good

I'm also wondering Jokiin if a company such as yours has ever considered making dash cameras in the way that I'm dreaming of? That is to have the smallest discreetest camera on the windscreen and all the working hidden away from view. It seems like a really good way to go and certainly would be a unique selling point. What would be the main thing stopping this development? cost? Technically not possible? Its really seems annoying to me to have things stuck to my windscreen obstructing the view and tempting thieves.

I'm also wondering Jokiin if a company such as yours has ever considered making dash cameras in the way that I'm dreaming of?

we did a single channel remote lens previously, we have a dual remote lens model coming this year

The nearest I have ever found is the spytec K1S, but that doesnt seem to exist anymore.

Thank you for your advice BTW, I really appreciate your help from an expert. I dont want to give up on my dream of having a camera that works in this way.

we did a single channel remote lens previously, we have a dual remote lens model coming this year

Thats great news, perhaps I should wait for this. Im quite excited to hear that. Ive been looking for so long now which is why I thought I should take things into my own hands

The nearest I have ever found is the spytec K1S, but that doesnt seem to exist anymore.

doesn't exist for good reason, good idea, poorly implemented, the Ambarella chipset is ok for single channel use but it struggles when used in a 2 channel application

doesn't exist for good reason, good idea, poorly implemented, the Ambarella chipset is ok for single channel use but it struggles when used in a 2 channel application

Haha good answer. Well maybe I'll wait to see what you release later in the year. Any idea when that might be or is that top secret :) ? Also if you need a product tester let me know ;)

Any idea when that might be or is that top secret :) ?

not a secret as such, just we have work to do still and until we are closer it's hard to speculate on a release date, a lot of it carries on from work we have already done on the SG9663DC which will make the process quicker than it was for that model but we still have some stuff to do which just takes time, I'd like to have it out in the first half of this year, that's the aim at least

One last question and then I will stop bugging you I promise. I'm sure you have very important things to be getting on with. The single channel camera you mentioned that you produced previously, was it the SGZC12RC V2 ? I have been quickly looking at it and it looks great so I was thinking if I can still find them I could possibly purchase two and have one for the front and one for the rear. A bit extravagant maybe but it solves the problem. Or then again I could just be patient and wait for the new model you are working on to be released. :) Is the new model potentially gong to be better spec than two of the SGZC12RC V2's

Thats it now, No more questions, I'll leave you be.

Many thanks for your help and advice. If only I had come here earlier I would have saved myself many hours of watching youtube videos and tireless searching the internet.

All the best

Rich

One last question and then I will stop bugging you I promise. I'm sure you have very important things to be getting on with. The single channel camera you mentioned that you produced previously, was it the SGZC12RC V2 ? I have been quickly looking at it and it looks great so I was thinking if I can still find them I could possibly purchase two and have one for the front and one for the rear. A bit extravagant maybe but it solves the problem. Or then again I could just be patient and wait for the new model you are working on to be released. :) Is the new model potentially gong to be better spec than two of the SGZC12RC V2's

yes that was a product we did previously, probably hard to find, it's fairly old tech now, the new dual channel product will be a much better solution though anyway, specification and performance will be higher, will also work out smaller and cheaper than getting two of the old model

Well thats that sorted then, I'll stop watching video reviews and wait a bit longer. Once again thanks very much. Looking forward to see what you come up with now.

Rich

Back