F770 - Error: "Insert a memory card - System will now restart" loop with all MicroSD Cards including Thinkware's?

FatStrawPDX

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello guys,

What is the trouble shooting steps to get the Thinkware F770 to work properly without the "Insert a memory card + system will now restart" error?

I've tried using two different Thinkware MicroSD cards that with my purchases. I've tried using two of the Samsung Evo Plus 128GB MicroSD card from Bestbuy. I've tried using the one that came with my Thinkware F800 Pro from BlackBoxMyCar ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XWZWYVP )

All of these cards works on the F800 Pro with no memory card errors. The Thinkware F770 is having problems with everything. Please help! Thanks!

if it's giving that message and not reading any memory card it sounds like a hardware problem

if it's giving that message and not reading any memory card it sounds like a hardware problem

Actually, it randomly worked earlier today during my drive to work (it was recording onto my Samsung Evo + 128GB card), it later stopped working with insert a memory card errors and then later on the drive home it was recording again. And now it's not working.

I can confirm it was able to record Continuous recording as well as parking recording for a short while. It's hardwired to a Cellink Neo 6 (it was 100% charged this morning).

But right now it's not reading any memory cards that I've tried to feed it. I've even reformat one of the Samsung cards with SD Card Formatter.

Update: One of the two Thinkware 32GB MicroSD card is now working. i'm going to leave it in for a day or so to see if it acts up again. I probably formatted that other Thinkware card wrong or something... or there could be something funky going on with the input for the microsd slot. Maybe dirty connections. I don't know :(

The Thinkware 32GB MicroSD card seems to be working without any problems. Has anyone on here bought any recent 128GB MicroSD cards from Amazon that works with the Thinkware F770 without any errors or glitches? It's strange how all of my MicroSD cards work fine on the Thinkware F800 Pro but not the F770.

they might not have got around to crippling the firmware on the F800 yet, they do like to push you into using their own memory cards

they might not have got around to crippling the firmware on the F800 yet, they do like to push you into using their own memory cards

Can't someone just patch up their firmwares to make the units work with any memory cards?

Downgrade the firmware. if. you are. on. 08 firmware...
Put the. 03 or. 06 on a formatted card and the F770 will downgrade itself and... you will not have the error :)
The later firmware, the. 06 one can be downloaded from the f770 support but... the thing is that only the Singapore one is. 06, other countries are with the. 08. So, one must download the Singapore firmware.

As i understand it making different memory cards play ball with a camera are not easy, but its also not a insurmountable task.
And going this way forcing people to only use your own brand, thats just not cool in my book.

Wait wait please everyone!
Now. I see that Thinkware updated the singapore firmware with the. 08 one. I have the. 06 on my Google drive, so I will give you the link. Just a second please!

Interesting info on the firmware. How would I got about seeing what one is on the camera? I have not done any upgrades to mine from what was on it in the box 12 months ago, so hoping for the older one. As far as cards go I have had luck with are the Samsung evo select U1. Price for those went up when the U3 was released and I have not had a single U3 work in any size of the evo select. Thinking about trying the Samsung Pro plus. But want to see what firmware I have before sinking the funds into it. I have more than enough cards laying around that don't work in my Thinkware but work great in my Blackvue DR650GW. One 128gig holds 30 plus hours on my Blackvue, so I don't need any more for it.

One-Six

I have just installed an F770 + Cellink B v2 all went OK except every time I start it. The voice stated "Regularly format the memory card for data integrity" 3 times, and I have to wait until it states "continuous recording".
I formatted the Thinkware card in the F770 again but that didn't fix it, So I formatted it on my PC as fat32 and it started up OK. But 3 starts later it comes up with the same message again.
I put in my 64Gb Sandisk Extreme U3 card and that works over and over without fail. Firmware 08

Last edited:
@WeedeaterDM, you can check for the firmware version in the DashCam app, at the bottom you will have "Device Info" or something, like in the screenshot attached.
Believe me, since the downgrade, I do not have any card error audible messages anymore!
Screenshot_20180623-171402.jpgCheers!

Thanks. I do have the 03 firmware on my cam. Seen another article about the Samsung U1 vs U3 and am fairly certain I can use pretty much any U1 Samsung cards. Just wish the price didn't make such a large jump.

One-Six

I've used the F770 a few months now and I still sometimes (once every few weeks?) get the error message: "Regularly format the memory card for data integrity "

Pretty annoying. My Thinkware F800 Pro and F100 has no issues like these. Why is the F770 so different?

P.S. a simple pushing of the Format button fixes this.

I've used the F770 a few months now and I still sometimes (once every few weeks?) get the error message: "Regularly format the memory card for data integrity "

Pretty annoying. My Thinkware F800 Pro and F100 has no issues like these. Why is the F770 so different?

P.S. a simple pushing of the Format button fixes this.

That's a deliberate message for certain models that don't have 'Format Free Tech' to make sure you look after the memory card. It is every 2 or 3 weeks (can't remember which now!) Newer models have the format free so they don't do this.

I purchased my *Thinkware Dash Cam F770* only a few months ago after someone crashed into my GT86 while
it was parked up outside my home, sometime during the night, costing me £2.500 worth of damage, the Dash Cam
was a great addition & made me feel a little bit more secure.

Now the F700 is an annoying thing!! like FatStrawPDX stated ("Regularly format the memory card for data integrity " ) every day
while driving this annoying message plugs away in my ear, each time I go into the Thinkware settings throw the WiFi settings & format
the memory card within mins the same annoying message returns, I'm starting to think a lot of cash wasted here on this Dash Cam, even worse
is waking up and realizing the thing has NOT been recording during the night.

Is there some fix for this ?? any suggestions most welcomed cheers & btw nice forum *Thanks* for having me here... (y)

I purchased my *Thinkware Dash Cam F770* only a few months ago after someone crashed into my GT86 while
it was parked up outside my home, sometime during the night, costing me £2.500 worth of damage, the Dash Cam
was a great addition & made me feel a little bit more secure.

Now the F700 is an annoying thing!! like FatStrawPDX stated ("Regularly format the memory card for data integrity " ) every day
while driving this annoying message plugs away in my ear, each time I go into the Thinkware settings throw the WiFi settings & format
the memory card within mins the same annoying message returns, I'm starting to think a lot of cash wasted here on this Dash Cam, even worse
is waking up and realizing the thing has NOT been recording during the night.

Is there some fix for this ?? any suggestions most welcomed cheers & btw nice forum *Thanks* for having me here... (y)

Rather than formatting it through the App, just get the camera up & running (continuous recording started, gps connected etc) and then press & hold the Format button on the camera that should reset the timer for that message (it should appear every 2 or 3 weeks i've forgotten at the mo!) if this doesn't work i have had a couple that seem to have corrupted the file that tells the camera this. You can manually edit the file, it's in the SETTING folder called SDCARD_FORMAT_TIME.bin right click and open with notepad and you will see for example 2018(Year)06(Month)25(Day) 20180625 just edit the date to sometime in the future and it won't ask again until that date.

As for your camera not recording in parking mode is that due to low battery voltage? I would check the last recorded file and see what the battery voltage is showing in the recording.

Back