F770 on an electronic timer

curta

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi, I ordered the F770 and should receive it shortly.
I basically only need it in parking mode. In the past 6 month I have had 6 tires slashed and I'd like to get the guy. Theoretically I would need the F770 to be in parking mode from 11pm to 6am every night, that would allow me not to worry about battery charge level for a few days.
Would the adjunction of an electronic timer could automate it?
something like this
or like that
I don't know what happen to the F770 if it's under no tension at all and briefly powered on let say for 5 minutes, to simulate ignition on will it default in parking mode? or does it need to be physically turned turned on?

Do you drive the vehicle regularly or is it sitting unused for days at a time?

With the voltage threshhold set appropriately my hardwired F770 goes all night long in time-lapse mode on my daily-driver with no add ons.

Thats not really what the F770 is designed for. You risk flattening your battery after a few days. A trail cam sounds more suitable to the task.

But to answer your question yes you can definitely automate it with a 12v timer through the ACC wire.

My use of the car is irregular, and it's got a puny battery 45ah (Toyota Yaris).*
I know the battery pack should be the way to go but 6 tires + the F770 (single channel) + the battery pack is prohibitive.

I thought of the trail cam option but they have low resolution, poor image quality so it would have to be setup real close my car, I don't have an obvious place to set it up. On top of that in my country (France) you're not really allowed to point cameras into public areas, the dash cam is in a grey legal area.

Well you could buy a big USB battery bank and hook it up to a dashcam with pre buffered motion detect.

Im not sure if theres programmable USB timer modules out there so you would need to turn it on and off manually.

Btw the thinkware F50 has parking mode as well for a cheaper price.

The F50 doesn't have the super night mode, I can't afford an other set of slashed tires and a blurry image!

So I crunched up some figures and you might be able to get away on a 45Ah battery with single channel parking mode.

The F770 constantly draws about 270mA on dual channel parking mode (less in single CH), but lets say 270mA for 7 hours = 1.89Ah

On a 45Ah battery, I would say you could get 10 consecutive sessions of overnight recordings without risking your battery going flat.

and if you drive around regularly (to let the battery charge) then you could go on almost indefinitely.

Last edited:
i used to have battery cut off at the lowest setting (think it's 11.7?)
this got me easily over the weekend, but i did have to change the
battery after 2 years...

What about upgrading the battery in your car to a bigger one? I don't know, if it's possible in your case, but I have a small car too, normally equipped with 36 Ah or 44 Ah batteries from the manufacturer. But some versions like mine were equipped with a 60 Ah battery, so maybe the bigger 50-64 Ah battery will also fit to your Yaris. A new car battery with extra 5-19 Ah is significantly cheaper and more useful than an external battery pack. For example, the Cellink B capacity is around 6,4 Ah, what is not too much for that price.

Back