F770 turned off twice now after voltage flat-lines.

Xerberus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hardwired my F770 into my old (but still going strong) 2001 Ford Mondeo mk3, I used piggyback fuse holders to get the job done. It all worked fine and dandy up until two days ago. I was driving along and noticed the cam went quiet (no speed camera warnings etc). I forgot about this until yesterday when it did exactly the same thing on a drive back from somewhere. So I checked the footage of the two trips where it went quiet and found that after about twenty minutes it registered a very low (<3v) voltage, "ACC_OFF" popped up on screen and the apparently turned itself off. On the first occasion I was simply accelerating into a 50mph zone up a hill at the time. The second time it did it (last night in fact) I was going over a speed bump at about 15mph.

I'm not entirely sure this is the dashcame's fault, it's probably the electrics in my car since it is getting on a bit, although I've not got any problems with the thing. I just find it a bit annoying the DC shuts off without even so much of a warning it's about to do so. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this oddity or if anyone has any suggestions as to how to fix or workaround the issue? Cheers.

Ideally i think you need to check the voltages & connections at the fuse box, it does sound more like a wiring issue than a camera fault to me.

OK, I'll try relocating the piggy back fuses into different places first.

The first thing you should do is have the battery checked, then take off the terminals and clean them and reinstall making sure the ground terminal is clean and secured well to a good ground.
Then you can start checking things associated with the connections from the fuse box on. My bet is that its in the battery/alternator connections or one of them is bad or going bad! Good luck.

I figured it out. One thing that I noticed was it was only cutting out at night, and it turns out it was because of my high beams. Whenever I turned them on and it causes the voltage to drop off. I used two empty fuse slots for the piggy backs as I *assumed* that being unused there wouldn't be any kind of power issue. Looks like the exact opposite was true. One of the empty slots has the "look in the manual" icon on it but helpfully my car manual doesn't tell me what that fuse slot is for but whatever it is for it's got something to do with the high beams on the headlights. Anyway I've moved the piggy back fuses to other locations and now the issue's gone so, yep, all done. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back