F770UK ---> EU firmware?

jhm

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Dash Cam
Thinkware F770
Hi everybody!
A couple of years ago I bought the F770 from UK (since we had no vendors for this unit here in Sweden) and recently I have had issues. The G-shock warning beep (after a sharp turn or going över a speedbump) and then the unit restarts itself. After that it has happened, that the unit asks to be formatted every time I start my car. How I remedied that the first time it happened, was to download the UK firmware from Thinkware, and "re-flashed" the unit. After that it was fine for a very long time. Today it started acting up again, in the exact same way. I suspect it is the latest firmware doing something, because this occurs on BOTH my Thinkware branded memory cards.

So to the question itself. When the EU-firmware emerged on the Thinkware website a while ago, I sent them an e-mail, asking if it would be possible to re-flash my UK bought unit with the EU firmware, since I'm in Sweden, and not the UK. The response I got (after several weeks) was don't do it unless you are experiencing any problems. So which is it? Do you know if I could safely re-flash my unit with the EU-firmware instead of the UK version, or would that most likely brick my unit?

Would be very grateful for some qualified advice.

Cheers!

You can do it fine, download the Europe firmware, extract to a formatted card (ideally a Thinkware card) and pop it in the camera and start the engine running.

As for the Format message it could be a very small rechargeable battery has failed in the unit. Usually if this is the case the first video file when it's powered on will have the wrong date / year on it. The battery is soldered in but it isn't too bad to replace if you can solder and have a little experience in electronics.

I'm not sure on the G-Shock issue though, that's not something i recall coming across as yet. I'm wondering if that's a power issue? If you remove the camera from the bracket whilst it's powered on and give the unit a shake then does it still reboot?

Reactions: jhm
You can do it fine, download the Europe firmware, extract to a formatted card (ideally a Thinkware card) and pop it in the camera and start the engine running.

As for the Format message it could be a very small rechargeable battery has failed in the unit. Usually if this is the case the first video file when it's powered on will have the wrong date / year on it. The battery is soldered in but it isn't too bad to replace if you can solder and have a little experience in electronics.

I'm not sure on the G-Shock issue though, that's not something i recall coming across as yet. I'm wondering if that's a power issue? If you remove the camera from the bracket whilst it's powered on and give the unit a shake then does it still reboot?

Thanks for the swift reply Maddog1974! Today I "fixed" the camera by re-flashing it with the UK firmware, but I guess I will try the EU-firmware tomorrow then. Any obvious benefits you know of changing the firmware to EU, besides my suspicion there might be something wonky with the latest UK fw? Cheers!

Re-flashed it today with the Europe firmware. Great success! :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L F770 15
kehray F770 2
A F770 7
F F770 24
B F770 3
Back