F800 gone bad...

Yoon

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My Thinkware F800 started malfunctioning.
Wi-Fi is on by default and I cannot turn it off.
Meaning, I can never turn on the hotspot connection.

It's running the latest firmware 1.00.05 with Thinkware brand 32GB MicroSD card.
I already tried resetting the dashcam and formatting the memory card. It's no use.

It almost seems like the previous hotspot settings got wiped, when the WiFi is on like this are you able to connect to it from your phone/app?
If so can you see what hotspots are programmed in?

It almost seems like the previous hotspot settings got wiped, when the WiFi is on like this are you able to connect to it from your phone/app?
If so can you see what hotspots are programmed in?
It'd be weird if the previous hotspot setting got wiped by itself..
If it indeed got wiped out, how do I add it back? Right now, it only blinks green and I can't find a way to change to blue light for hotspot connection..

You can connect to the camera through direct wifi.
When it says "on your smartphone, connect to a wifi network who's name starts with Thinkware" do exactly that.
Open up your phone's settings and look for "Thinkware_XX" and connect to it.
If you have the latest version of the app you should be able to go through all of the settings without turning on the hotspot.

You can connect to the camera through direct wifi.
When it says "on your smartphone, connect to a wifi network who's name starts with Thinkware" do exactly that.
Open up your phone's settings and look for "Thinkware_XX" and connect to it.
If you have the latest version of the app you should be able to go through all of the settings without turning on the hotspot.
Yes, I can connect through wifi.
But now I can only connect through wifi. Hotspot connection no longer works at all.

So I was wondering, if it indeed got wiped out, how do I add it back?

Now I need to hear "on your smartphone, connect to a wifi network who's name starts with Thinkware" every time I start the car which is just extra annoyance lol

Under wifi settings (bottom right icon) you should see your programmed hotspots, can you check what the status on that is?
Furthermore, when you first get in the car I would open the app and click the "dash cam connection is required" button (red bar)
From there you can choose hotspot connection and go through the initial setup again. That will let you program in/reprogram a hotspot

To fix that, all you have to do is reprogram the F800 to connect via hotspot. You will have to repeat all the steps you did when you set it up when you first got the unit. (i.e. select "connect via hotspot" from the app, and then 1) press the Wifi button on the unit; 2) connect the phone to the F800 with name starts with "Thinkware"; 3) From your phone, confirmed it is connected to the F800 via wifi; 4) Turn on hot spot when promoted by the app so the F800 can search your phone; 5) Wait until you get a message saying F800 has been successfully connected to the internet.

Good luck.

Thank you all. I connected via wifi and *boom* Every setting was reset or removed.
Geez:confused: How and why did this happen? I have not touched F800 or connected it to my iPhone ever sine I installed it.

May be you got a defective unit? Sometimes that can happen as you get electrical surges within the electrical system of your car. However, once you set it, it should not reset.

Perhaps you should send your unit back to BBMC and upgrade to the F800 Pro.

May be you got a defective unit? Sometimes that can happen as you get electrical surges within the electrical system of your car. However, once you set it, it should not reset.

Perhaps you should send your unit back to BBMC and upgrade to the F800 Pro.
Happened again. Contacted Thinkware support and they called it a "problematic unit". :(
Time for a repair.. after just 2 months

Last edited:
Not again. I was soooooo hoping to hear good things about Thinkware.

Has the F800 Pro been released outside of Astrailia yet? I hear they got it first.

Not again. I was soooooo hoping to hear good things about Thinkware.

Has the F800 Pro been released outside of Astrailia yet? I hear they got it first.

This would be the first time we've heard of this issue out of the 400+ F800 Pro we've already sold, would not be a good indicator of Thinkware's reliability.

This would be the first time we've heard of this issue out of the 400+ F800 Pro we've already sold, would not be a good indicator of Thinkware's reliability.
Reconfigured everything and never connected to iPhone afterwards, and it was good for last 2 weeks.
Everything got reset again today. :(
Language went back to English, every setting went back to default, hotspot information got wiped again.
I’m sending mine to Blackboxmycar... they created RMA request for me.
Sad indeed..

Last edited:
Well, at least BBMC is going to replace your unit. I think min and yours are the first few that came out of BBMC warehouse. Mine was great before I traded in for a F800 Pro.

Well, at least BBMC is going to replace your unit. I think min and yours are the first few that came out of BBMC warehouse. Mine was great before I traded in for a F800 Pro.
Just sent my defective F800 to BBMC today. $17.33 for shipping. :(
Really hope the replacement unit is problem-free.

+1 for BBMC's great customer service. Will definitely buy from them again in the future.

+1 for BBMC's great customer service. Will definitely buy from them again in the future.

Not going for the Pro version? It's on sale this week.

blackboxmycar.ca : $449.99 --> $419.99. When I checked 1 -2 weeks ago it was $449.99.

Not going for the Pro version? It's on sale this week.
BBMC offered $75+$10 shipping+tax=$96 for an upgrade to F800 Pro.
Is the pro version worth extra $100?

Are you running from a Cigarette plug or hardwired with this unit?

Back