F800 PRO 256 GB Support

Do you have parking mode as the main priority for the memory partitioning?

I do have parking priority set as my recording option and I emailed Thinkware directly. They said 48 hours is the max recording times for non pro F800. Additionally they said they do not recommend 256GB as it may be possible to have missing recorded blocks. I’m glad to say I can easily get well over a weeks worth of continuous mode and well within 48 hours of motion detection with my Samsung evo 256 card. No lost footage blocks and a lot faster read times when reviewing footage using personal hotspot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I have selected.
I didn’t have the latest firmware. I just downloaded and installed. Hopefully this will fix it. I also have a Samsung EVO coming in the mail.

Think I should use it or return for a Sandisk?

Will unchecking motion detection allow more footage to be recorded without overwriting in 48 hour increments?

I thought I would add a test I conducted . I used a Sandisk 400gb A1. This is the same as the 128gb but obviously larger capacity . The system was able to process the larger capacity card with no error messages. I am going to use for a few days and review footage and file sizes.

I thought I would add a test I conducted . I used a Sandisk 400gb A1. This is the same as the 128gb but obviously larger capacity . The system was able to process the larger capacity card with no error messages. I am going to use for a few days and review footage and file sizes.
How did this turn out? I bought a 256GB a month or two ago and if this 400GB works I will feel stupid. :)

Also, do you download the firmware off Thinkware site and throw it on the SD card and is that all or is there extra you need to do to make it work with the camera?

Firmware version in your dash cam?

Reactions: RLS
I bought the 256 gb, so all I need to do is stick it in the TW PRO an push format? is that right

Reactions: RLS
Let’s bump this thread.

I’ve also had no issue with the Sandisk Ultra A1 400GB.

I will be testing on the Samsung Evo Select 512GB, PNY Pro and Pro Elite 512GB’s, and a few other high capacity ones.

I bought the 256 gb, so all I need to do is stick it in the TW PRO an push format? is that right

Yes. I will usually format on PC first, then do an in camera format. Sometimes, especially if you move cards between different dashcams, the onboard formatting won’t erase folders, locked, etc files.

I’ve also had no issue with the Sandisk Ultra A1 400GB.

I will be testing on the Samsung Evo Select 512GB, PNY Pro and Pro Elite 512GB’s, and a few other high capacity ones.

Yes. I will usually format on PC first, then do an in camera format. Sometimes, especially if you move cards between different dashcams, the onboard formatting won’t erase folders, locked, etc files.

Do you think it will work for Q800Pro? If yes, which brand would you recommend, Sandisk Ultra A1, Samsung Evo Select, or PNY Pro and Pro Elite ?
Thanks

Do you think it will work for Q800Pro? If yes, which brand would you recommend, Sandisk Ultra A1, Samsung Evo Select, or PNY Pro and Pro Elite ?
Thanks

I haven’t tried running over 256GB in the Q800 Pro yet.

So far, the Samsung Evo Select 512GB (Green, Amazon) has had no issues running literally non-stop in multiple Blackvue’s, SG9663DC, etc.

Thanks

I am also interested to know this since I am running the Q800pro too. If those 256’s and 512’s works for the F800pro, I don’t see any reason why they won’t work for the Q800pro since I believe they are running almost all the same internals and firmware,

I got 400gb Sandisk Ultra A1 and it work fine. The sux part is Q800Pro reserve about 256Gb in a hidden folder for .TMP files. The remaining 113Gb is for the actual mp4 and I guess another 1.1Gb for something else.

I got 400gb Sandisk Ultra A1 and it work fine. The sux part is Q800Pro reserve about 256Gb in a hidden folder for .TMP files. The remaining 113Gb is for the actual mp4 and I guess another 1.1Gb for something else.
What do you mean by this? That 400gb sd card is not worth buying for, and a 256gb or even 128gb is more than enough?

I'm not sure worth or not but I think it does that will all SD card, no matter what GB you're getting. Maybe someone can confirm:
In a File Explorer--->View --> put check mark on Hidden Items
You will see hidden folder .TWSYS ---- Maybe your might named differently

Basically in reality, you don't get full 400gb of mp4 recording.

Out of the 400Gb, Q800Pro break in to three sections:
MP4 you only get about 113Gb usage
Miscellaneous reserve 1.1Gb
Reserve Hidden Temp files (.TMP) took all the storage: 256Gb

If you get 256Gb or 128Gb, you might only get less than 30% storage for mp4 and the rest goes to .TMP

Last edited:
I'm not sure worth or not but I think it does that will all SD card, no matter what GB you're getting. Maybe someone can confirm:
In a File Explorer--->View --> put check mark on Hidden Items
You will see hidden folder .TWSYS ---- Maybe your might named differently

Basically in reality, you don't get full 400gb of mp4 recording.

Out of the 400Gb, Q800Pro break in to three sections:
MP4 you only get about 113Gb usage
Miscellaneous reserve 1.1Gb
Reserve Hidden Temp files (.TMP) took all the storage: 256Gb

If you get 256Gb or 128Gb, you might only get less than 30% storage for mp4 and the rest goes to .TMP

This is absolutely right.
I am using 256Gb and every time my engine starts, memory card format required.
I looked into all details, .TWSYS folder takes 220Gb.

I am not sure why this cam doest work with overwriting.
Even it still has 20 or 30 gb but doest overwriting, but provided 32 GB one can overwriting.

Is your 400 GB able to overwrite?

Any idea for this?

Last edited:
This is absolutely right.
I am using 256Gb and every time my engine starts, memory card format required.
I looked into all details, .TWSYS folder takes 220Gb.

I am not sure why this cam doest work with overwriting.
Even it still has 20 or 30 gb but doest overwriting, but provided 32 GB one can overwriting.

Is your 400 GB able to overwrite?

Any idea for this?

Yes it’s overwritten. Dashcam never asked to reformat when engine started.

The TWSYS folder is just pre-allocation of space for the Format Free running of the camera. If you wipe a card and then put it back in the camera & power up for a few seconds and then recheck the card it will basically show full again.

Larger than 128gb cards may not 'overwrite' all of the space so a 256gb may well fill up to start with but then it may just overwrite the first 128gb of it. Personally haven't tried any larger cards but that's what happened with the F770 and cards over 128gb.

Yes it’s overwritten. Dashcam never asked to reformat when engine started.
Thanks,

I've tried several time and it kept asking memory card format required. I think that this is because of memory card.
I've tried 32 gb as provided, and it didn't ask anything.

May you give me some info which format type you chose and others?
I am not sure this is malfunction of memory card or format type difference.

I've tried, NTFS, exFAT and FAT32, but nothing works.

I bought a brand new ScanDisk High Endurance 256GB, U3, XC1, tried it in my Thinkware F800 Pro, could not get it to work. Keeps saying format memory card followed by card error. I checked the original 128GB Thinkware micro SD card is exFat format as well. Anyone has any idea what I need to do to gt it going instead of wasting it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back