F800 Pro availability in US?

SolarEclipse

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking to get F800 Pro (mainly due to all black design) since F800 looks quite ugly. Its available in UK and listed on Thinkware's US website but can't find anyone selling it here yet. Any idea about the availability?

The F800 pro looks exactly like the F800. I am unsure why you want the F800 pro if you think the F800 is ugly.

The Pro might be available in the US sometime late Q3 most likely early Q4. Actual times will be based on Thinkware's timeline which is something only Thinkware knows.

Pro version is all black, which is very discreet. Regular F800 has that 90s electronics light-grey/dark-grey color combo, think Sony Handycam from the 90s.

I contacted their support and they are saying sometime in winter.

Pro version is all black, which is very discreet. Regular F800 has that 90s electronics light-grey/dark-grey color combo, think Sony Handycam from the 90s.

I contacted their support and they are saying sometime in winter.
I installed my F800 behind the rear view mirror, and it's completely out of my view. I leave it, forget it, and just drive.
If you are constantly bothered by the body colour of a dashcam while driving, then maybe you picked the wrong place to mount it..

While I 100% agree that all black is definitely more discreet, the colour of tiny dashcam installed inside the car does not make my car look any ugly.
IMG_6198.jpg

IMG_6202.jpg

The elimination of the chrome lens housing is a big plus in my view. That and the higher SD card capacity are the two major reasons I didn't jump on the BestBuy sale on the F800 and decided to wait. Hopefully the Pro and the Blackvue DR750S-2CH will be released in Canada around the same time to enable a good comparison before buying.

When the F800 is installed correctly, it is quite discreet when viewed from the outside. If you can see it, it might have been installed in the wrong location.

While I cannot dispute the ability to use higher capacity SD cards on the F800 pro, the chrome lens housing doesn't really make the camera more noticeable from the outside since these dashcam hugs the windshield. Of course you will see it if you are looking for it. If you are not looking for it, then it is not that visible.

When the F800 is installed correctly, it is quite discreet when viewed from the outside. If you can see it, it might have been installed in the wrong location.

While I cannot dispute the ability to use higher capacity SD cards on the F800 pro, the chrome lens housing doesn't really make the camera more noticeable from the outside since these dashcam hugs the windshield. Of course you will see it if you are looking for it. If you are not looking for it, then it is not that visible.
The card issue is definitely more important. Still, I don't like shiny objects of any kind in the area of my windshield, so the Pro's blackened housing is a plus in my books. Even if I can't see it directly when driving, there's always the possibility of reflection in the windshield. That said, black is my preference, not an absolute requirement, and I'll wait to see the pricing and reviews on the Pro before making any decision.:)

I'll wait to see the pricing and reviews on the Pro before making any decision.:)

I agree. If Thinkware decides to upcharge the Pro by 100 dollars or so, the F800 might be a better deal.

Yea, I can probably live with it, but for the money I'm spending and something that's gonna be sticking right on the windshield, I'd like it to look nice (to me). I'll probably just wait for the F800 Pro, hopefully, thinkware will sort out app and connectivity issues by then as well.

I would suspect that if/when Thinkware releases their 128GB card to work with the F800 Pro, it would probably work on the F800 as well.
I also wouldn't be surprised if the existing issues with micro SD card compatibility (re: lower quality cards) will carry over to the F800 Pro

The elimination of the chrome lens housing is a big plus in my view. That and the higher SD card capacity are the two major reasons I didn't jump on the BestBuy sale on the F800 and decided to wait. Hopefully the Pro and the Blackvue DR750S-2CH will be released in Canada around the same time to enable a good comparison before buying.
Blackvue DR750S seems like a great alternative to F800/F800Pro. Especially 60fps feature seems exciting!

Blackvue DR750S seems like a great alternative to F800/F800Pro. Especially 60fps feature seems exciting!
I'm amazed that anyone would want 60fps and half the retention. I want LESS fps. I'd love for a camera to offer 5fps for 6x the retention. But there is this weird belief that you need full motion video and even 60fps

I'm amazed that anyone would want 60fps and half the retention. I want LESS fps. I'd love for a camera to offer 5fps for 6x the retention. But there is this weird belief that you need full motion video and even 60fps
To each his/her own. Many prefer the option of recording at a higher rate and, with todays larger SD card capacity, aren't particularly concerned about retention issues.

This website provides an interesting perspective on video speed: https://frames-per-second.appspot.com

To each his/her own. Many prefer the option of recording at a higher rate and, with todays larger SD card capacity, aren't particularly concerned about retention issues.

This website provides an interesting perspective on video speed: https://frames-per-second.appspot.com
Why? What do you hope to gain from 60fps?

Even with a 64gb sd card retention is an issue. At 8 mbps you get 64000 seconds which is 1066 minutes which is only 17 hours. With 60fps you'd only have 8 hours

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? What do you hope to gain from 60fps?

Even with a 64gb sd card retention is an issue. At 8 mbps you get 64000 seconds which is 1066 minutes which is only 17 hours. With 60fps you'd only have 8 hours
For my personal needs, 8 hours is more than adequate. Your needs may be completely different, and if quantity over quality is your preference, go for it!

For my personal needs, 8 hours is more than adequate. Your needs may be completely different, and if quantity over quality is your preference, go for it!

OK but why do you think you benefit from 60fps? What are you hoping to see with twice the framerate from standard video?

framerate doesn't determine how much recording you will get, bitrate does

The compression algorithm doesn't know the framerate. If you double the frames with the same compression ratio, storage use will double. The dashcam would have to be PURPOSELY programmed to record with half the image quality at 60fps vs 30fps. And in that case, there is even less reason to use 60fps

The compression algorithm doesn't know the framerate. If you double the frames with the same compression ratio, storage use will double. The dashcam would have to be PURPOSELY programmed to record with half the image quality at 60fps vs 30fps. And in that case, there is even less reason to use 60fps

the frame rate won't change the file size, more frames will give smoother viewing for well lit situations but can be a limiting factor in low light situations, in low light there are some different options with how you deal with that, drop to 30fps, frame double 30fps to keep frame rates consistent, or stick with 60fps and limit the low light performance, there are advantages and disadvantages to each approach

Correct me if I am wrong but would a higher frame rate give you better chance at getting a still in focus where the plate might not be easiest to see? Assume image quality is the same between the both of them. 60 frames would give you double the chances to get a solid in focus image like when something breezes by.

Back