[F800 Pro] - Frustrated with Thinkware Cloud - "The device cannot be located"

northca

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone, I hope I am not the only one experiencing issues with Thinkware Cloud.

I have an ongoing issue with my F800 pro. I have my dashcam setup to use my car's hotspot to track the car's location. I am successful in linking the dashcam to thinkware cloud but rouglhy 2 days after setup, I get "The device cannot be located".
I added a screenshot to show what I see in the Thinkware android app.
So far I have performed a reset and tried a different hotspot. Issue persists.

Is anyone experiencing this?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200109-124303.png
    Screenshot_20200109-124303.png
    226.9 KB · Views: 14
I could never get that part of the app to work either. Even after they said it was supported and I updated to the latest firmware at the time.

Same here. No matter what I do I can't get the personal hotspot to work. I know personal hotspot works on my iPhone because my iPad flawlessly connects to it.

for me, location tracking stopped with firmware version 1.03.07 although dashcam still says "connected to the internet" at the start of every journey

My app will work for modifying the parameters only while connected to the phones hotspot or the WiFi but not while connected to the cars hotspot. However live location tracking wouldn't work when connected to either hotspot. I had it connected to the cars hotspot most of the time which I hoped would allow it to send a video to the cloud in the event of an impact, luckily I haven't tested that. I recently dropped the cars hotspot service since we only really used it for road trips once or twice a year and the camera won't work through it as expected. I usually don't bother turning on my phones hotspot except while on trips, even if the live location worked, it would be worthless without being able to work through the cars hotspot since I know where the car is if my phone is in it and if someone else is driving my car I wouldn't be able to be sure their phone had hotspot service, was turned on, and configured in the app anyway.

for me, location tracking stopped with firmware version 1.03.07 although dashcam still says "connected to the internet" at the start of every journey

I don't know when it excatly stopped working because I recently purchased mine. But what you said is correct, it always says "connected to the internet" at startup. This dashcam has features that other cams in the 100$ range don't have but without those features (Thinkware Cloud etc..) it is just an average dashcam with not much to offer.

I have recently purchased mine as well. I wish I could get as far as ’connected to the internet’ well, I do, but almost instantly it says ’disconnected from the internet’.

Has anyone contacted ThinkWare about this issue? Or BBMC (or wherever you purchased your device from)?

Has anyone contacted ThinkWare about this issue? Or BBMC (or wherever you purchased your device from)?
I have contacted Thinkware about my issue, to be honest, they were not much help.

I contacted thinkware support (support@thinkware.com) but received no reply. And I am unable to go to blackboxmycar as my device was not purchased through them.

Thank you for the suggestion.

You should be able to use the chat function on BBMC whether you bought your product from them or not. I can tell you Johnathan on there uses ThinkWare a lot and is very knowledgeable about their products. If you start a chat, just address it to Johnathan and he will answer. They are very helpful.

Or it would be awesome if ThinkWare Dash Cam user would just respond to this post seeing as they just liked my comment about referencing BBMC with questions.

I emailed ThinkWare 2 days ago (on Sunday) and received a response today.

Also received a response today about the issue. But not sure how to interpret the suggestion, this is what I was recommended to do:

''Please goto "Dash Cam Info" > GPS > Tap the arrow in the top right > Wait for the GPS to announce connected.''

My device always announces that it successfully connected to GPS at startup. I don't see the point of going to this menu to get it connected when it already is.

Also received a response today about the issue. But not sure how to interpret the suggestion, this is what I was recommended to do:

''Please goto "Dash Cam Info" > GPS > Tap the arrow in the top right > Wait for the GPS to announce connected.''

My device always announces that it successfully connected to GPS at startup. I don't see the point of going to this menu to get it connected when it already is.

Chat with BBMC about it. They’ll be able to explain better.

Back